Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Feasibility of Classroom Tank

aclman88

1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

How goes it?

It was going really well actually. Received live rock from KP aquatics, tons of cool hitchhikers, put in and cycled the tank aaaaaand then comes pandemic and quarantine. Tank is being maintained via top off by custodian and I went in a few weeks ago to check on it and things were good. Not much I can do now since building access is limited. Just hoping it doesn’t completely crash in my absence. Bummer for sure but could be worse. 

• Like 2

All the good bacteria on the rock, and the minimal stocking, should mean things will be fine as long as the topoff continues. I'd put a light over it if there isn't one already, things will need that algae to eat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...

Sorry if I’m coming late to this party, a year ago my former student gave my classroom and I a 5 g reef tank and we won “Best Aquascape” in the nano competition! It was fantastic and fairly easy. 

With COVID and our school being remote I have the tank at my home. Before I left school for the year, I brought with me the distilled water machine. I had brought it into my classroom having borrowed it from the Chem dept. given they didn’t need to have sitting idle for the handful of times they would use it each year (win for maximizing use of funds spent). 

Since I’ve been at home, I keep it in the laundry room. Every time I’m in there, I’ll make a new gallon of distilled water. I do this a few times a week and just dump the DI water into a 5 gallon bucket. When it’s time to do a water change I mix in some of the instant ocean reef crystals, use the specific gravity hydrometer I bought (thanks Science Department) until I reach my ideal salt concentration (1.026d) and then do my weekly water changes. I have a second bucket of just DI water that theoretically is set up to supposed automatically refill the tank, but occasionally I’ll need to add in a fresh scoop of the DI water. 

As a result, I don’t have to go to the LFS for water...now i just go to spend more money on more frags and cool critters. Then I watch my little 10 g tank (from the award for winning!) and think about how to really get back to teach biology and share with my students how fascinating the world of marine biology and keeping a reef tank is. ☺️

Given I am a noob still, if I’m not doing something to my DI water that I should be, please let me know. Typically I’ll bring in a water sample to have it tested as I have not bought the testing kits yet (which reminds me). And I’ve been dosing with Reef Fusion 1 & 2 daily. 

When we do resume, I’ll bring the tank back and assign students to various roles to make them responsible for maintaining the tank. Something they really loved to do! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1