Top Shelf Aquatics

Adding inverts and ich

Aquacrazed

My LFS doesn't have fish on the invert tanks like for hermits and snails. However all the water running through all their tanks is one system. What are the chances of transferring ich to my DT (has fish) if I buy inverts from one of their inverts only tanks? 

If all the tanks are plumbed together, it's the same as fish being in the same tank. UNLESS there is a UV tied into the return line.

The odds of protomonts finding and encysting upon stationary stony corals are greater than motile inverts. But the chance exists either way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 10:11 PM, Aquacrazed said:

My LFS doesn't have fish on the invert tanks like for hermits and snails. However all the water running through all their tanks is one system. What are the chances of transferring ich to my DT (has fish) if I buy inverts from one of their inverts only tanks? 

That's a loaded question.

You can at least be reasonably certain that they aren't coppering their water if their inverts are in it too.  That's good.

As to the chances of transferring....

You need to know what their system has in it to know with any certainty what the odds are of transferring it to something else.  (Pathogens are not all similar.)

You need to know how the store is filtering their water to know if filtering will help.

You also need to know what makes your fish susceptible to infection or not.

If you aren't too sure about any of those facets, then I would be averse to taking a risk.

But all of those things are more or less knowable....so do some reading, fill in the knowledge gaps, and proceed with confidence.

Post details as you get them if you have questions along the way!