ReefCleaners.org

Best entry level close up lens for Canon T3i

Reefkid88

I got one for Christmas and it came with a 18-55mm and a 55-250mm lens and a tripod. I really only Christmas night to quickly mess with it before I had to leave town for work. Would thise 2 be suffice or should I try and find a basically dedicated macro ? 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

A macro lens really opens up the doors for true close up photography, most non-macro lenses won't be able to focus as close as you want them to.

You should experiment with using your 55-250mm lens and your tripod though, macro lenses are expensive. Zoomed in close you should be able to isolate coral and fish in a nice way, but you might need the tripod for clearer shots or longer exposures.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/30/2019 at 12:38 AM, Christopher Marks said:

A macro lens really opens up the doors for true close up photography, most non-macro lenses won't be able to focus as close as you want them to.

You should experiment with using your 55-250mm lens and your tripod though, macro lenses are expensive. Zoomed in close you should be able to isolate coral and fish in a nice way, but you might need the tripod for clearer shots or longer exposures.

There are some used ones I have found for a good price. But I may get some lenses reversal adapters and try my 18-55mm to see how it does. I do have some extension tubes as well. 

I still want a true macro,maybe in the 100mm range or so to shoot macro shots. 

• Like 1

Things to take into consideration. A lot of folks recommend the 90-105mm range for macro lenses, but this depends on whether you're using a full frame or cropped sensor camera. Many of those recommended macro lenses are full frame lenses so when you use it on a cropped camera, then the focal length gets longer, which means you have to be further away from your tank.

If you have a nano tank, I'd suggest trying out a 60mm macro lens and see how you like it. You could also get away with those 30 dollar clip on magnifiers to let you take magnified photos with your zoom kit lens.

8 minutes ago, Variant said:

Things to take into consideration. A lot of folks recommend the 90-105mm range for macro lenses, but this depends on whether you're using a full frame or cropped sensor camera. Many of those recommended macro lenses are full frame lenses so when you use it on a cropped camera, then the focal length gets longer, which means you have to be further away from your tank.

If you have a nano tank, I'd suggest trying out a 60mm macro lens and see how you like it. You could also get away with those 30 dollar clip on magnifiers to let you take magnified photos with your zoom kit lens.

I actually got some extension tubes and popped the 7mm (I think) on the 18-55mm and had good results. I also am going to order some close up filters for my 58mm lenses. I used those in the past with good results. For $12 it can't hurt to try them. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Share some photos taken using the extension tubes if you can @Reefkid88, curious to see.

Absolutely. I head back home from out of town work today so this weekend I will take some. 

• Like 1