ReefCleaners.org

IM 30L Pro Frag & Quarantine Tank

Coolbreeze

84F9DFCD-7534-4739-ADFF-5F7FB559B310_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.4bce1993c14ad06cedd993346a4553e4.jpeg

Hello fellow reefers, after watching BRSTv 52 weeks of reefing, 5 minutes to setting up a reef series, ULM Series and 3 years reading countless reefing journals on here as a guest it was now time to become a member and start my first Nano-reef build journal.

This will be a slow build as I want to do it right and to automate as many tasks as I can from water change to water top off, temperature monitoring and salinity among others.  So, from what I gather this will be a challenge because of the space limitations in current stand designs so this means I will need to make a custom cabinet.

I have already placed my order for the following equipment and as soon as it arrives I will inspect the contents and test fit the items to make sure they will work together as well as look aesthetically pleasing. This tank will be a main focal point in my living room.

Display: Innovative Marine NUVO Fusion 30 gal Long.
Lighting: Two EchoTech Marine Radion XR15 G3 with diffuser using Core Lab SPS AB+ @ 35% intensity (Starting) with reeflink.
Wavemaker: Two Nero 5 running random during the day (5 hours on one side, then 5 hours on the other) and constant speed when not on random.
Return Pump: Two Innovative Marine Mighty Jet 538gph with Spin stream nozzle.
Heating: Two BRS Titanium Heating Element (100 W) Center Chamber connected to 2 Ink Birds.
Filtration: Intake Media Basket in Left Chamber 1
Filter Media: InTank filter Floss, Chemi-Pure Elite, BRS ROX 0.8 Carbon
Skimmer: IM DeskTop Nuvo Skim DC in Right Chamber 2

UV: IM Aqua Shield 9w UV Desktop in Right Chamber 1
Controller: Neptune Apex Classic Lab Edition
Dosing Pump: 
Top Off: Auqa Gadget 5 Gallon Hydrofill
Sand: Caribsea Fiji Pink Reef Sand
Rock: Marco Rock from my IM 20 concept build.
Salt Mix: HW-Marinemix Reefer Salt
Stand: Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal 40g Stand

Accessories: Intank Filtration Cover, Intank Surface Skimmer (2)

Livestock:

Fish:

ORA Captive Bred Naked Ocellaris Clownfish Pair (LiveAquaria.com)

ORA Yellow Watchmen Goby (LiveAquaria.com)

Vanderbuilt Chromis (LiveAquaria.com)

LPS Coral:

Soft Coral:

WWC Tasers Zoas (WWC)

WWC Illuminati Zoas (WWC)

WWC Superstar Zoas (WWC)

SPS Coral:

Vivid's Teen Sprit Acro (Vivid Aquariums)

ORA Purple Stylophora (LiveAquariums.com)

• Like 2

Thanks. I have updated the list as I had some equipment in another location. My goal is to only have certain equipment that has a purpose in my goals.

The new equipment list has arrived today, so tomorrow I will be busy reviewing and test fitting the system.

Current items on order 

Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion Pro 30L Tank
Auqa Gadget Spin Stream Nozzle (2)
RMS XR15 Tank mount (2)
Radion XR15 Diffuser Upgrade (2)
CPR Large Aquafuge2 Hang on back refugium with light
Comline DOC Skimmer 9004 DC
IM Auqa Gadget Customcradle nano

Also I have received my QT and light order as well. I will be looking at it and getting it set up.

Today I have unpacked the QT order and started to set it up.

LIFEGARD AQUATICS CRYSTAL AQUARIUM 45 DEGREE LOW IRON ULTRA CLEAR - 3.8 GALLON
WAVE POINT BLADE HO LED AQUARIUM LIGHT SUPER BLUE/10K - 6 INCH

After reviewing the items, I became very disappointed in what I ordered. On the surface it looks really good and I thought maybe I could use this as a Pico tank in the future. But when I installed the light on the tank I noticed the back wall was bowing and the wall and glass was very thin and too flexible. I also noticed that the light was very heavy for its size. So, I have requested a RMA for both items.

After looking online, I found one of our local pet stores is having a dollar a gallon sell on tanks so I will look into getting a standard 10 gallon with a hang on back filter system to use instead.

Now it is time to get to work assembling and testing the main display tank.

The lights with the diffuser, spin stream nozzle (2), IM Auqa Gadget Customcradle nano, Skimmer and Aquafuge2 has been installed. I ran into a small problem with the lights as I do not receive both slides (I received two short and opened RMA) to get the longer ones. I would like to try and see if the longer arms connected in the back of the Aquafuge will look better closer in the front. What I can say is that adding to either the front or the back raises the lights 3 3/4" higher from the water.

I have two other issues so far with this setup, but both of them can be solved very easily. The first is that the input pump on the Aquafuge is sitting right on top of the second media slot. I plan on fixing this by rerouting the input tubes. The second issue is the bright light and not sure that this will really grow alga correctly. 

Here is the current picture of the tank in its current state.

165ED9C9-67CF-43C7-9E2C-7E1A0A137479_1_105_c.jpeg

So today when I came home from work I got a surprise package delivered. I have received my Intank order which consisted of filtration cover, media basket, surface skimmer and poly filter. Since it is late I will install them in the morning as well as program the Echotech lights then take a picture an upload.

• Like 1

To I was able to get the reef link and Radion's programmed. I used the Coral Lab SPS AB+ with 35% intensity to start with. The plan is to keep it low until I had corals with the hope it will cut down on the algae during tank cycle.

Radion Schedule.png

Radion Layout.png

• Like 1

Here is an updated photo with the lights on and the filtration cover and both surface skimmer covers on. I do not have any photo filters yet so sorry for the heavy blue color.

DB167B86-D68D-497F-89A5-A92C0EAB1FFD_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 2

Today I received the Fuji pink sand and over the next week or two the rest of the equipment should be arriving. So maybe soon I can get this thing wet.

• Like 1

How are you liking the filtration area cover? Should have mine in a couple days and am a month or two behind you on a build so I'm vicariously living thru you haha. Looks great BTW. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Navy Reefer said:

How are you liking the filtration area cover? Should have mine in a couple days and am a month or two behind you on a build so I'm vicariously living thru you haha. Looks great BTW. 

So far I really like it and it does hide stuff in the back very well. Hopefully it will keep the light out of the back chamber.

• Like 1

The second pump came in and I now have both of them hook-up and ready to go. A little busy at work so this week I have not had much time to work on it.

CCBDF93B-1FC6-465A-BC51-2A266973B7BF_1_105_c.jpeg

Over the weekend I will be editing the first post and change it to what I have in mind for the build, current hardware as well as hardware on order plus the latest picture. This way anyone can look at the first post and see what is going on very quickly and if it peaks your interest you can review the posts to see how it was installed and why I planned on using it.

Was wondering does your fuge return into the return section of the tank.I have a 40 fusion and a large fuge on the back but the return for the fuge is in my filter pad area for the tank so getting pods into the tank is at a minimum. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Jayaw said:

Was wondering does your fuge return into the return section of the tank.I have a 40 fusion and a large fuge on the back but the return for the fuge is in my filter pad area for the tank so getting pods into the tank is at a minimum. 

When I was deciding on what aquarium to go with it was between the 40 and 30l. I pick the 30l because it was longer then the forty and since my upgrade path will be to the SR60 it made since to use the larger unit.

With that said the input is being rerouted from the right 2nd chamber to the center chamber and will be about 3 inches below the water line. The output is going in the left 2nd chamber so the pods will fall into there and then the middle chamber where I have two pumps to get them into the main display tank. When I out grow the 30l all items will be moved to the new SR60 with any modifications. Hope this helps.

When I was looking at the 40 I would have bought the medium one, but then it would not have been big enough for the SR60. BY the way thanks for looking at my build.

Well late last night I received my quotes for the tank stand and luckily was sitting down while reading it over. Just over 800 dollars for 14 pieces of metal and this dos not include skinning it. I do not mind spending the money on equipment as long as it is worth it. So today I seen an ad from a local pet store with some stands on sell so I plan on looking at them today and see if I can make something work out. All the other stand components are to be delivered by Tuesday, so I need something quick.

On the bright side of things today my rocks are being delivered today :) 

Received the rocks today. First stab at it. Maybe thinking of adding 2 shelves on the back wall to give it some depth. What do you think? Any and all comments welcomed.

01ACF38D-B721-4C54-B083-8448EB5B6B35_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1

I have been busy the past few days but I was able to find a 40g black metal stand from a local pet store for $50. Not exactly what I wanted at first, but with some work I can make this work. The size is 36.5 L x 18.5 w x 29.5 H. The size height I wanted was 40", but at a cost of $775 was not worth it. I plan on buying 2 Pine 5/4 board and painting them black. Sides, Front and back will be Red Oak with a natural finish. Since I am out of town this week I will need to do it this weekend. Now I just need to find a few cabinet knobs to go with it. Will post pics when it is completed.

CABA623C-1E6F-4369-A473-E3F7CAC002C3_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.8927dd6fa7f1361dc10b82b22e5f1767.jpeg

Round two of the rock formation. The two shelves came in this week and I also had an additional rock that I placed in the arrangement. Still not in love with it so I will be working on it some more over the weekend. Also many more items have arrived this week so I will be finishing installing items that I need in order for me to add water. The other item I will be working on the stand the top. Will have more updates over the weekend and hopefully by the end of the weekend I can add water and start the cycle.

19 hours ago, Matteo said:

damn..why two mighty jets if you dont mind me asking? 

I mean I am only using one on my 40 nuvo at 1.7 haha 

Thanks @Matteo for looking at my journal. That is a fair question to ask.

The idea of having two pumps is not the hours per gallon but to have redundancy in case one fails and I am out of town. The full plan is that I will have two pumps on each side of the center chamber in the hopes that it keeps that chamber clean. Then in phase two I plan on hooking up a Neptune flow meter to each output to monitor the flow and once the flow start to decrease then I know that either of the pumps needs to be cleaned or something is wrong with them, either way I can shut down one of them remotely through the Neptune app and the tank works as normal. Now one downside is that the flow meter is not water proof, but I believe I have a way of making it so.

Also I did not mention that when I grow out this tank then the next is the SR60, so all the hardware I have now will be used with it, if it is still working or it had been replace with an updated version. The SR60 will have 4 pumps on it, instead of two.

On a side note I did read your journal before I made my purchase and it almost made me buy the Nuvo 40 as your tank is very nice and very inspiring to have one.

• Wow 1
3 hours ago, Coolbreeze said:

Thanks @Matteo for looking at my journal. That is a fair question to ask.

The idea of having two pumps is not the hours per gallon but to have redundancy in case one fails and I am out of town. The full plan is that I will have two pumps on each side of the center chamber in the hopes that it keeps that chamber clean. Then in phase two I plan on hooking up a Neptune flow meter to each output to monitor the flow and once the flow start to decrease then I know that either of the pumps needs to be cleaned or something is wrong with them, either way I can shut down one of them remotely through the Neptune app and the tank works as normal. Now one downside is that the flow meter is not water proof, but I believe I have a way of making it so.

Also I did not mention that when I grow out this tank then the next is the SR60, so all the hardware I have now will be used with it, if it is still working or it had been replace with an updated version. The SR60 will have 4 pumps on it, instead of two.

On a side note I did read your journal before I made my purchase and it almost made me buy the Nuvo 40 as your tank is very nice and very inspiring to have one.

Thanks! Yeah I like your gear list for sure. Gonna bw sweet! 

• Like 1

32F670EF-BD8D-4B13-9592-1A5BF2B45D73_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.785fac9756c4776b47d8d3eef9e69545.jpeg

So today was not as productive as I would like do to the weather here so I spent most of the day looking to finalize the rock formation so here it is the third and final. I took the piece from the center and mad a cut near the bottom using a say with a concrete blade in it. I also took the right piece that I had in the first picture and 1/3 of it off. The second piece from the left was the cut piece from the center piece that I had.

I think that this one has more hiding places for inverts and fish as well as giving them more swimming room and finally has more space and options for putting corals where they need to go.