Pod Your Reef

Lighting 55g idea help Nanobox or not??? ?

zachjohnson65

zachjohnson65

I have been throwing around alot of options to light my std. 48" 55gallon of mostly soft, euph and lps. $300-400. Used is fine 

Can multiple nanobox duos pull it off? If not suggestions welcome!!!!     No black boxes since they are ugly with cord sticking out of top and vent slots.  I've thrown around these so far....

1. Kessils. 160s and 350/360

2. Build my LED bars.  Found 3 used for $150. 

3. Expanding my 2 nanobox retro arrays to 4 arrays and adding some type of strip/bar. To fill in but how to make ithe mount look non ghetto. 

4. Reef radiance x 2

5. Prime x 2 or 3. 

Help me stop my lighting frustrations! Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the hanging options look crazy with wires and brackets once they're up.

If you want the invisible look you need to check out one or two Current USA Orbit Marine IC's....they mount right on the top of the tank and kinda blend in.

I like all the options you mentioned...since the 55 Gallon is SO tall and SO skinny, go with the narrow-lens option on the Kessil of you go that way.

Another option, although not in the "invisible" class, is to build a shroud around whatever lights you have, so at least you get to decide what you're looking at instead of the wires and brackets?

Two more options:

Ocean Revive's are nicer looking black boxes that perform much better due to the better spread of LED emitters.

Also check out @TinyGiant's DIY LED thread....it was specifically built for an in-wall 55 gallon and costs next to nothing to build.  

• 1 month later...

After 10years its still running strong. I changed the bulbs out completely once just because i felt like it. 

also moved the tank to a stand to change the room dynamics 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Good to see you!

Good to be seen 🙂. Its been a while since I’ve really put any time into the  tank. Good to be tweaking and adding things again

• Like 1