Pod Your Reef

Two Anemones One Tank?????

Aleric

In a large enough tank you can have many.  They get along well although there are reports that additions can cause transmission of infection.  I have personally never experienced that but there are reports by excellent aquarists so probably this does happen from time to time.

• Like 1

You can have multiple anemones in one tank. There are a few people on here that have 'nem only tanks. A 'celebrity' in the reefing world Melev has a 60 cube with 8 or 9 anemones in it.

If your tank is stable enough, and nem safe. Go for it, and add a second one.

20 hours ago, OldManSea said:

In a large enough tank you can have many.  They get along well although there are reports that additions can cause transmission of infection.  I have personally never experienced that but there are reports by excellent aquarists so probably this does happen from time to time.

They would be from the same store same tank so maybe that will lower risk thank!

You can mix and match colors for Bubble Tip anemones and they won't hurt each other if you wanted. They are all of the species entacmaea quadricolor and won't hurt each other even if they are touching. You can even toss other nems like Mini-Maxi or Rock Flowers within an inch or two of RBTAs and they won't kill each other -  they just space themselves out.

If you just want another RBTA, just wait a while and you'll have more. They grow super fast even when you aren't feeding them. I've got a 20, and I sell the mother nems every time I get babies because they just get huge, really fast. Over the last year and a few months mine went from one small baby about 2" across to two nems that are about 5" across each and one looking like it's getting ready to split again - without feeding.

10 minutes ago, jservedio said:

You can mix and match colors for Bubble Tip anemones and they won't hurt each other if you wanted. They are all of the species entacmaea quadricolor and won't hurt each other even if they are touching. You can even toss other nems like Mini-Maxi or Rock Flowers within an inch or two of RBTAs and they won't kill each other -  they just space themselves out.

If you just want another RBTA, just wait a while and you'll have more. They grow super fast even when you aren't feeding them. I've got a 20, and I sell the mother nems every time I get babies because they just get huge, really fast. Over the last year and a few months mine went from one small baby about 2" across to two nems that are about 5" across each and one looking like it's getting ready to split again - without feeding.

That’s so cool! your tanks water must be perfect ! Thanks for the advice

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Aleric said:

That’s so cool! your tanks water must be perfect ! Thanks for the advice

No problem! Actually the water is pretty dirty, just very stable and nems like old tanks. For reference for why me and someone else said just wait, this is what just under 9 months looks like in terms of RBTA growth - if I fed it'd probably have been much faster.

February: my male clown barely fits, female dwarfs it

20190217_114115_2.thumb.jpg.17c6693ed1c9463040354ef2eb721d9a.jpg

November: huge female easily fits inside with the male with plenty of room to spare

clowns_in_nem_web.thumb.jpg.0abf8c8c28ef9845683846f4e8ef4ced.jpg

5 minutes ago, jservedio said:

No problem! Actually the water is pretty dirty, just very stable and nems like old tanks. For reference for why me and someone else said just wait, this is what just under 9 months looks like in terms of RBTA growth - if I fed it'd probably have been much faster.

February: my male clown barely fits, female dwarfs it

20190217_114115_2.thumb.jpg.17c6693ed1c9463040354ef2eb721d9a.jpg

November: huge female easily fits inside with the male with plenty of room to spare

clowns_in_nem_web.thumb.jpg.0abf8c8c28ef9845683846f4e8ef4ced.jpg

Beautiful! I think I’ll wiat till they split then! Unless I want a green one...