Pod Your Reef

After The Aiptasia's Gone (not a Country/Western song)

earwicker7

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing , Hence the " " around the word pest. I have 1 aptasia and it's base is about 3/4 of an inch. this sucker is HUGE, but hasn't bothered much. The problem comes in when the free anemiones you recieved on your LR start to sting your corals that you paid for. If aptasia cost $$, Everyone would want them ;)

omens-nano07

So is the aiptasia a free anemione? So thay can take over to tank? I have like 20 one this one rock waht should i do? I also have a 3/4 aiptasia!

Thank you

Originally posted by birdman204

Your best bet, as mentioned before, is to try to stop the spread through nutrient control, (i.e. feed the same amount of food, but at more than 1 time a day).  If that doesn't work,  a berghia nudi may work, but I HAVE had experience with them eating zoanthus.  A CBButterfly will not fare well , even in a 50 G,  they will , for long term success, require a tank of 100G or more to thrive.

I've got the nutrient control down pretty well; I think this one came along with the star polyps and was just too small for me to notice until recently. I was thinking of getting a very small copperband butterfly and only keeping it temporarily; my LFS will let me trade stuff back in when I'm done with it--another reason I like the guy.

Who knows, maybe I'll have to end up injecting it with kalkwasser--supposedly this works if you can manage to stick them before they retreat into the rock.

Originally posted by omens-nano07

What if i cut off the head of it?

For the love of god, captain, she can't take much more! We're already doing warp five and she's starting to break up! Uh, oops, wrong show. But seriously... don't do it. Those things have amazing powers of regeneration--super powers, from the planet Krypton! If you cut it's head off, it'll just grow back, and if you happen to spread any tissue to another area, there's a chance it'll grow into another one.

YUP, DON'T CUT EM. I don't even recommend kalk pasting or joe's juicing them as I've had better luck having them NOT spread by leaving them alone.

Originally posted by birdman204

YUP, DON'T CUT EM.   I don't even recommend kalk pasting or joe's juicing them as I've had better luck having them NOT spread by leaving them alone.

Won't they spread asexually? If I can keep it down to just one, no big deal, but I've heard of people having their tank overgrown with them in a couple of months.

Originally posted by earwicker7

Won't they spread asexually?  

This is where the nutrient control comes in. They won't split if the food supply is limited for the possible parent, it won't wanna compete for food.

Originally posted by omens-nano07

I have a rock with a lot of them on it can i just take the rock out and do something to it?

You can leave the rock out of the tank for a few days , but it will need to cure again.... You can try to epoxy over the aptasias, make sure all the surrounding rock exits are sealed as well.

omens-nano07

How long whould i dry out the rock for?Then after dryed whould i just put it back in the tank to let it become a live rock again?

P.S. Birdman204,thank you for your help :)

Originally posted by holyherbiness

lol take out the rock and dip it in a nice vat of boiling water.

that outta show that aiptasia

It'll definitely show the aiptasia; unfortunately, it will also show every living thing on the rock:*(

I think, after consulting the Bible (the Julian Sprung version) that I'm going to go somewhat along these lines, but a more direct attack. If I can find a syringe somewhere (Damn, I picked the wrong day to quit heroin!) Julian says that boiling water even touching, much less injected directly into, the aiptasia will kill it. Now I just need to convince the local pharmacy that I'm diabetic.

visit your local vet. or get a marinade injector from the store. both will work. make sure to use boiling slat water or at least ro/di water. some places have copper in the tap. X) i doubt in that small amout that copper would harm anything but i'd still take no chances.

omens-nano07

So i am drying out the rock with a lot of them on it.I put it in a 5 gallon buket and put a fan in there on the rock to dry it faster.Do that sound good to you?

my peppermint ate one of em the other one this is before i had corals on the rocks too, I took the rock outta the tank and cut the thing at the base and then scraped and scraped and then rinsed it really good with water i haven't seen anymore but this has only been maybe a month ago they could still come back i dunno

Originally posted by earwicker7

Or you could ask him why he's the most successful reef store owner in the Hollywood area and services all of the major motion picture industry's tanks.  You don't get to the point where you're doing business with the CEO of Universal Studios unless you know what you're talking about.

Thats a load of crap.

Originally posted by cybaix

Thats a load of crap.

What, that he's that successful (how would you know?) or that you're just jealous because your LFS started his business out of a gas station in Podunk, Mississippi? Why is it that people who live in Nowhereland have to be such haters?

Everyone hates. It's a fact of life. Even myself. I was throwin' chit around my office this morning cussing people out.

The trick is to see the humor in those things that make you angry.

Archived