ReefCleaners.org

Zoas changing colours

Rifts2Reefs

New Eagle Eyes frag closed up during a water change last night, and now opened up looking like this!

Hopefully it's ok, and nothing serious happened.

Maybe it closed too tight, and the pigment from it's skirt smeared against it's oral disk?

Was brought to my attention that colour shifts could also happen with Alk swings, which I will be testing for.

What do you guys think?

IMG_20190922_231641.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 7
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Whoa, just overnight? This is really interesting, following along to see if any zoanthid geeks know more about this change.

How long have they been in your tank in that location @Rifts2Reefs?

3 days as of today

I have had eagle eyes do that,I want to say its lighting and params that can change the colors like that. I actually liked the colors like that over the original color morph. 

• Like 3
On 9/23/2019 at 3:21 AM, Rifts2Reefs said:

New Eagle Eyes frag closed up during a water change last night, and now opened up looking like this!

Maybe it closed too tight, and the pigment from it's skirt smeared against it's oral disk?

Was brought to my attention that colour shifts could also happen with Alk swings, which I will be testing for.

What do you guys think?

IMG_20190922_231641.jpg

May be bleaching pigments due to too low of nutrients?

If that were the case your water change would've sent nutrients down even further, forcing them to close up for photoprotection and you may be looking at the damage that resulted from phosphate deprivation.

I don't have any numbers, it's just a theory!

Please post recent test results and a little bit of history about your tank if you don't mind. 😁

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 10:30 AM, sadie said:

How do they look now, have they turned back to the original color? Or still smeared?

Still the same, but the bleed out is less smeared. Cleaner and sharper lines now.

• Like 2

In all seriousness, if they stay like that, and the polyps they produce are like that, you could probably sell 'em for a decent price. They do look very cool.

Any updated photos? 

• Like 1
On 9/23/2019 at 2:21 AM, Rifts2Reefs said:

What do you guys think?

IMG_20190922_231641.jpg

But that’s so much prettier!! I don’t know what happened but I’d say it was a good thing!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Aqua Splendor

That is interesting, I've had zoa changing color, often fade out after something bad happen or change of parameter in water.

But this is not the same as fading out... It look cool, wish we could know what is happening.

• Like 1

Here's another shot from my Rainbow Incinerator frag. The Zoas didn't change colours, but a couple of new polyps looks pretty interesting!

First shot is what my Rainbow Incinerators usually look like, and the second shot shows the 2 funky looking polyps that grew out.

IMG_20191126_181833_479.jpg

IMG_20191205_004525_839.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
17 minutes ago, Rifts2Reefs said:

Here's another shot from my Rainbow Incinerator frag. The Zoas didn't change colours, but a couple of new polyps looks pretty interesting!

First shot is what my Rainbow Incinerators usually look like, and the second shot shows the 2 funky looking polyps that grew out.

IMG_20191126_181833_479.jpg

IMG_20191205_004525_839.jpg

Your tank might be haunted by Jackson pollock 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Not entirely sure what type of Zoas these are, but nice to see them finally starting to open back up!

Initially got this frag on Dec.9th, but it wasn't doing too well for me after introducing it to my system.

Been keeping it in a shaded corner of my tank, while giving it dips in Lugol's every couple of days.

Definitely an interesting looking colony growing here, can't wait until they full open, so can I get better look at their cool tie dye pattern!

IMG_20191221_183633_498.jpg

Oh, that looks really, really interesting. Are they embedded in something? It almost looks like pictures I've seen of sponge zoanthids, that grow embedded in sponges. Or have they spread their own mat over the whole surface of the rock? 

Can you gently bother a few of them with something (pipette or the like) until they retract, and take a couple pictures of what that looks like? You won't hurt them any, they'll just retract for a couple minutes.

1 hour ago, Tired said:

Oh, that looks really, really interesting. Are they embedded in something? It almost looks like pictures I've seen of sponge zoanthids, that grow embedded in sponges. Or have they spread their own mat over the whole surface of the rock? 

Can you gently bother a few of them with something (pipette or the like) until they retract, and take a couple pictures of what that looks like? You won't hurt them any, they'll just retract for a couple minutes.

The colony completely swelled up, and the polyps flattened out after 3 days of getting it.

Thought it was completely dead, and was going to toss it after day 5, but then saw some of the smaller polyps partially open. Been helping it recover since, by brushing off some of the old skin/membrane that's encasing the polyps, and giving it dips in Lugol's. Recovering slowly, but surely.

Will try to get a picture of them when they're closed.