Coral Vue Hydros

My First Saltwater Tank

Lyndsey Camille

Lyndsey Camille

Week One: My First Saltwater Tank

Hi Everyone! This is my very first saltwater tank. I've been maintaining a Betta fish for several months; however, all the research on my Betta continued to lead me to the saltwater world. I've always been intrigued but never took the time to research and really understand how to do it. With my eagerness to learn, I've been researching as much as I can and decided to start my tank on Sept. 6, 2019. Below are a few details:

1. Fluval Evo 13.5 Gallon Tank (added my own heater)
  2. Live rock from my LfS
  3. Premixed saltwater from my LFS
  4. Caribsea Black Live Sand

IMG_4149.thumb.jpg.1aa7e5f6440456e395ed83826ff842d9.jpg

Below you can see my original live rock setup. After adding the water, I patiently waited one week before heading back to the LFS for my first water test. However, that's after a few unidentified growths popped up...

58951203859__3B0344F3-9053-4B84-891E-4EDCB5EFE604.thumb.JPG.6d2f727314856921e727a9c76ae77752.JPG

Majano Anemone?!?!

During week one of cycling, I noticed a few...growths popping up on my live rock. Being the newbie that I am, I had no clue what they were. Being also a researcher, I asked two LFS reps for their opinion, and, of course, this forum. Low and behold, it's majano anemone. I got mixed reviews on whether to keep them or remove. As this is my first tank, and I want everything to run smoothly, I opted to remove the little guys using the vinegar method. 

58985000303__2B831431-5EE0-4998-A0F3-98722237ADD4.thumb.JPG.103ee722c4fab42d77d58cee3922b95f.JPG

Week One, Complete! My first water test was totally normal and I was recommended to wait one more week. 

• Like 1
Lyndsey Camille

Week Two: Starfish and Cycling Complete....

At the start of week two, I was totally happy since there was a good chance I'd be able to add fish by the end of the week. Everyday I observed the tank and, quite literally, a new guest seemed to appear every time. This time, it was Asterina Starfish! Per the guidance I seeked, I will more than likely be removing these little guys because in just one week, they are multiplying rapidly! One to five in a matter of three days!IMG_4240.thumb.jpeg.e0026e39fe42f493d6498ea611cc306b.jpeg

During Week Two, I decided to try out a more popular LFS in my area. Huge difference! Much cleaner, wider array of livestock and so informative (I will be back 😀). The end of Week Two (Sept. 20), marked the completion of my cycling. Now to choose my first fish! Woo hoo!

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Lyndsey Camille said:

Week One: My First Saltwater Tank

Hi Everyone! This is my very first saltwater tank. I've been maintaining a Betta fish for several months; however, all the research on my Betta continued to lead me to the saltwater world. I've always been intrigued but never took the time to research and really understand how to do it. With my eagerness to learn, I've been researching as much as I can and decided to start my tank on Sept. 6, 2019. Below are a few details:

1. Fluval Evo 13.5 Gallon Tank (added my own heater)
  2. Live rock from my LfS
  3. Premixed saltwater from my LFS
  4. Caribsea Black Live Sand

IMG_4149.thumb.jpg.1aa7e5f6440456e395ed83826ff842d9.jpg

Below you can see my original live rock setup. After adding the water, I patiently waited one week before heading back to the LFS for my first water test. However, that's after a few unidentified growths popped up...

58951203859__3B0344F3-9053-4B84-891E-4EDCB5EFE604.thumb.JPG.6d2f727314856921e727a9c76ae77752.JPG

Majano Anemone?!?!

During week one of cycling, I noticed a few...growths popping up on my live rock. Being the newbie that I am, I had no clue what they were. Being also a researcher, I asked two LFS reps for their opinion, and, of course, this forum. Low and behold, it's majano anemone. I got mixed reviews on whether to keep them or remove. As this is my first tank, and I want everything to run smoothly, I opted to remove the little guys using the vinegar method. 

58985000303__2B831431-5EE0-4998-A0F3-98722237ADD4.thumb.JPG.103ee722c4fab42d77d58cee3922b95f.JPG

Week One, Complete! My first water test was totally normal and I was recommended to wait one more week. 

Looks like you are off to a great start. 😊

Lyndsey Camille
Just now, WV Reefer said:

Looks like you are off to a great start. 😊

Thank you! I just noticed I put this in the Pico Reef section, and I'm def not that small. Any idea how to move into the right section? 

• Like 1

Great start. If you have the funds, I would recommend that you purchase your own test kits for the major elements (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Alk, Ca, PH, Refractometer) 

Lyndsey Camille
1 minute ago, William said:

Great start. If you have the funds, I would recommend that you purchase your own test kits for the major elements (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Alk, Ca, PH, Refractometer) 

Thanks, will do! Any particular test kit brand recommendations? 

Lyndsey Camille

Cycling Complete: Livestock Additions

My cycling is now complete and I added my first additions to the tank: A pair of Ocellaris Clownfish. I would guess that they are both about an inch long, one being ever so slightly smaller. I acclimated the fish to my tank for about 45 minutes. I'm unable to post videos, but it was so fun watching them explore their new tank together. The LFS suggested using Cobalt Brine Shrimp Pellets for food with feeding being once every other day. They took to the pellet; however they ate only two altogether. 

For the most part, they have been sticking together on one side of the tank. They really like to swim near the powerhead, so I'm assuming they like the water flow/current?

Overall, so far so good! I want to ensure I have a good grasp on maintenance and stability first, so I will be taking things very slowly. When ready, my next addition will be a type of coral, hopefully. 

IMG_4266.thumb.jpg.9956abe17582800cc6a5724cb977a528.jpg

IMG_4268.thumb.jpg.6a655e4efae8fc1164435f199309dae7.jpg

IMG_4265.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

IMG_4269.jpg

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Lyndsey Camille said:

Thanks, will do! Any particular test kit brand recommendations? 

Since your already past the cycle ammonia test kit might not be necessary but never hurts to keep on hand.

I would go with Nyos for Nitrate, Hanna for Alk and Phosphate, and Red Sea/Salifert for Calcium and Magnesium. 

Lyndsey Camille

First Full Week with Fish!

My first full week with fish went really well! After about 5 days, I noticed a ton of algae beginning to cover the walls so I had to do a quick glass clean. I also completed a water change. After my water change a, what I like to think as massive, amount of cobwebs appeared on my rocks. I have vermetid snails! I plan to remove them from the base with tweezers. Let me know if there's a better way. I'm not to fond of the superglue method as I think that will get pretty messy. The webs cleared up within about 10 minutes, but I want to stop it while it's still manageable. 

IMG_4314.thumb.JPG.64b1977d1aa606f4bab0c9cf3a9b8437.JPG

In better news, I've added a trochus snail. He's already been busy cleaning the glass and he's making his rounds on the rock as we speak. I really love big snails so I want more. I also wanted to get some nassarius snails, but they wouldn't come from under the sand at the LFS. Overall, I want to add to my CUC, and just have some invertebrates in general as I think they're pretty cool. Any suggestions? Also, thoughts on hermit crabs in the tank? 

IMG_4312.thumb.JPG.763279ae14b3391e9036e9e24c07e78d.JPG

If I add any more inverts this weekend, I will definitely post another update! 

P.S. I still have to order my own personal test kit so I don't have to rely on the LFS!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Lyndsey Camille said:

First Full Week with Fish!

My first full week with fish went really well! After about 5 days, I noticed a ton of algae beginning to cover the walls so I had to do a quick glass clean. I also completed a water change. After my water change a, what I like to think as massive, amount of cobwebs appeared on my rocks. I have vermetid snails! I plan to remove them from the base with tweezers. Let me know if there's a better way. I'm not to fond of the superglue method as I think that will get pretty messy. The webs cleared up within about 10 minutes, but I want to stop it while it's still manageable. 

IMG_4314.thumb.JPG.64b1977d1aa606f4bab0c9cf3a9b8437.JPG

In better news, I've added a trochus snail. He's already been busy cleaning the glass and he's making his rounds on the rock as we speak. I really love big snails so I want more. I also wanted to get some nassarius snails, but they wouldn't come from under the sand at the LFS. Overall, I want to add to my CUC, and just have some invertebrates in general as I think they're pretty cool. Any suggestions? Also, thoughts on hermit crabs in the tank? 

IMG_4312.thumb.JPG.763279ae14b3391e9036e9e24c07e78d.JPG

If I add any more inverts this weekend, I will definitely post another update! 

P.S. I still have to order my own personal test kit so I don't have to rely on the LFS!

I remove my vermetids in the same way...... tweeze the structure and then discard. 

I like the tiny blue leg hermits and the small scarlet hermits. They are least likely to fight and murder each other. 

Lyndsey Camille

Bristle Worm and Nipped Clownfish Fin 😕

First thing...I think I mayhave bristle worms? I noticed two in the tank today that came up when I began cleaning the glass walls. Quite creepy looking to me. I've done a bit a research on them but wanted gather additional thoughts? Just by looks, I'd rather not have them.

IMG_4352.thumb.JPG.b00ce956224a883b5cb0cbcfe968c359.JPGIMG_4351.thumb.JPG.8b196fed5f0307556ca3aedfa5b9627e.JPG

I think my Clown's tail fin has been nipped! One of the Clowns has grown to be slightly bigger; however, I haven't seen aggressive behavior except during feeding time. I definitely don't want one of them to grow too stressed. Any things I should be observing or looking out for with this?

IMG_4345.thumb.JPG.8a6ef634a8c60ec689e3bc60f5e1dca5.JPG

IMG_4346.JPG

IMG_4350.JPG

IMG_4353.JPG

• Like 1

The clowns are probably still sorting things out between themselves, so keep an eye on them and monitor for further signs of aggression. If they show serious signs of fighting-possibly-to-the-death you may end up needing to separate them, but for the time being I would just observe and wait. 😊

Those bristle worms are nothing to worry about. They are helpful scavengers that pretty much every reefer has on his or her team. 👍 They look creepy but are actually rather useful.

Cool setup you've got here! I hope the Evo brings you great success!

• Like 1