ReefCleaners.org

Tank Won't Cycle

wiigelec

It's been several weeks and no sign of nitrites 1-2ppm ammonia. Test kit is new API master saltwater expiration 2023.

Rock is dry rock that was used in a previous tank but had been dry for a couple years. Sand is new. Ammonia source is Ace Hardware 10% same stuff I successfully cycled a freshwater tank with.

At a loss here and about ready to start over with new dry rock and sand.

Any thoughts?

Sounds strange, you should be close to the end of the cycle by now! Have you seen any diatoms at all? I'd be tempted to throw a prawn in a filter bag and put that in the tank. It's worked every time I've cycled a system.

• Like 1

if you are getting ammonia readings then the tank is cycling.

you don't need to add any thing else to the tank. it just takes time and dry rock from other tanks usually have a bunch of decaying matter inside them and it will take longer for the cycle too complete.  ive started many tanks with used dry rock and the cycle usually takes a good month.

I am over one month into my cycle and I am just seeing ammonia fall to zero and nitrites off the charts with low nitrates. I started with dry rock and sand. I have been adding Stability and One and Only religiously and it is still taking forever. It will play itself out, just be patient. The hard part of starting with dry rock.

• Like 1

I agree with the patience thing but I’ve been waiting all summer and pretty soon it will be too cold to order livestock.

I’m wondering if something could have gotten in the tank that is hindering the bacterial growth...

You can always try the inhuman way and put a cheap inexpensive clownfish in there. Feeding it will then make it go to the bathroom creating ammonia. AND boom u have a cycle started. Just make sure to test it frequently and you should be fine. 

On 9/20/2019 at 6:12 AM, wiigelec said:

Yes microbacter 7 

Maybe something happened to the bottle of bacteria? Try adding a different brand of bacteria to see if that helps 

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, PaigeTX said:

Maybe something happened to the bottle of bacteria? Try adding a different brand of bacteria to see if that helps 

I would agree with this. Does seem to be going rather slow. My first cycle took a little over a week with live sand and dry rock, no other bacteria added. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wiigelec said:

I agree with the patience thing but I’ve been waiting all summer and pretty soon it will be too cold to order livestock.

I’m wondering if something could have gotten in the tank that is hindering the bacterial growth...

Have you had weeks of ammonia or months? Big difference if you've been waiting all summer. Don't add a fish. You already have ammonia, which the fish would be the source of.

Adding a fish will do no more good than just adding straight fish food. All a fish does is add nutrients, it's not bringing the bacteria with it. If you're dosing ammonia, you don't need a nutrient source, you need a bacteria source. And even if you weren't dosing ammonia, a fish is never a good solution! Just put in food like there's a fish in there, the food decays, and voila. Ammonia without the need for a living animal to get chemical burns and suffer.

If I were you, I'd buy either some live rock, or just some cheap macroalgae from somewhere. Maybe chaeto. Something solid that's been in another saltwater tank and will definitely have your bacteria in it. Or see who's living near you with a healthy saltwater tank they can spare a cup of sand from. Any solid surface that's been in an established saltwater aquarium will have your bacteria, and the more porous the better, but all you really need is a tiny bit. Just need a handful of bacteria to start things off, they'll breed fast with all that ammonia. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, wiigelec said:

I got a couple bottles of Dr Tims and Bio-Spira added the Dr Tims haven't seen any nitrites yet I'll try the Bio-Spira next...

I went through triple doses of dr Tim's 4 different times and it did nothing.  Ended up going with turbo start and 2ppm ammonia dropped to zero within 2 days.

• Like 2

Might have a winner here!

Dosed the bio-spira last week and ammonia is down to zero.

I’ll double check by

dosing some more ammonia but I think it’s good now...

• Like 6

I have never had any luck with Dr. Tim's products. I've had nothing but great results from Brightwell Aquatics. I've cycled a dozen or so 800 gallon systems with Brightwell's bacteria.

• Like 2