Coral Vue Hydros

Custom Lid

Pjanssen

I got mine for my SCA at ClearView lids. They’re working on one for my Evo too- should get it in a couple more weeks I think. They take a bit of time but they’re super nice when you finally get them.

• Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I got mine for my SCA at ClearView lids. They’re working on one for my Evo too- should get it in a couple more weeks I think. They take a bit of time but they’re super nice when you finally get them.

I put in an order for a Clearview lid for my EVO, but I canceled it after realizing the top is made from a solid piece with no netting. I was afraid the lid would trap too much moisture and the condensate and plastic would reduce the light levels.

Thanks for the link to octo Sancho, that is just what I am looking for.

15 minutes ago, Garf said:

I put in an order for a Clearview lid for my EVO, but I canceled it after realizing the top is made from a solid piece with no netting. I was afraid the lid would trap too much moisture and the condensate and plastic would reduce the light levels.

Thanks for the link to octo Sancho, that is just what I am looking for.

I'm not sure what you mean by that- it has a modular acrylic frame but the center is a mesh. And the light goes through it with no problems. I can't find anything that would point to the Evo lid not having the mesh screen like all the others.

37 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that- it has a modular acrylic frame but the center is a mesh. And the light goes through it with no problems. I can't find anything that would point to the Evo lid not having the mesh screen like all the others.

I re-read the description, it does appear t be a solid framed with mesh. I got some bad information on the interwebs… re-ordered with a feed door added. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Garf said:

I re-read the description, it does appear t be a solid framed with mesh. I got some bad information on the interwebs… re-ordered with a feed door added. 

They really are nice lids. I love the one I have on my SCA, and I can't wait to get the new one for my Evo. I'm so tired of the one I made by hand (poorly)

Maybe so. I want to say (and I could be crazy) that Spectra has ClearView lids for his old tank. I saw their link on here though. The only thing I really have to not like is the wait time to get it once ordered, but the finished product is super nice. 

This guy is extra salty
42 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

He does have all sorts of fun tank stuff on his instagram feed.  help you tag the right guy 🙂 @This guy is extra salty, are you up to building a mesh screen lid for the OP?    

Yes!!!

5 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Is there somebody on here making custom lids?

I do! I would need Id/od dimensions 

here is one I made for a local reefer a WB35 (I think)87119C57-2F54-4636-BF44-477A5E3D2CC6.thumb.jpeg.d400744342064b2e624f4072971a8000.jpeg

C292BD9E-8019-4614-A58C-A208E3BD7EF0.thumb.jpeg.b6ced77812987634074d2200a2eab4f9.jpeg

520511E2-ACD5-4C28-A71B-04314E4F34C7.thumb.jpeg.c823622d84f38a78b3bf5ec00702320c.jpeg

• Like 4

I have Clearview lids and they are great! Company stands behind them and when I got a small crack...they replaced it entirely even though it was a year later.

I do not recommend anyone who uses acrylic. It eventually warps due to moisture and heat from lights...etc.

• Like 1

From what I know about acrylic that depends entirely on the thickness, design, and make doesn't it? These frame-style lids seem to be fairly popular without much in the way of warping-complaints, I myself have fashioned lazy full-acrylic lids which haven't warped much at all just because I reinforced them (And that's me being an unskilled cheapskate to boot!)

• Haha 1
This guy is extra salty
On 9/10/2019 at 11:17 PM, Tamberav said:

I have Clearview lids and they are great! Company stands behind them and when I got a small crack...they replaced it entirely even though it was a year later.

I do not recommend anyone who uses acrylic. It eventually warps due to moisture and heat from lights...etc.

I typically use 1/2in lexan or acrylic 

99% of all acrylic and lexan is “bowed” or warped due humidity and heat there is no avoiding it. which is why I use higher quality materials like scratch resistant lexan, and if I were to make something out of that material it would have the “bow” facing up. Here is a picture of the two panels I have on my 160 that have the “bow” facing up.

18A60092-66D2-4446-A547-D6127F788EAA.thumb.jpeg.6959df4d59700fcc93cb304ad2c40bca.jpeg

which it would take some extreme heat for it to bend or warp but by that time your house will be on fire.. yes higher quality materials is more expensive but it’s what YOU want for YOUR tank. 

• Like 1

OP you can also check out top lids on FB.

I have a clear view for my RS 750 but might go with  them ( toplids)  for my nano tank I do like there style worth checking out.

also you can DIY one with screen frame and the corners with a flange and fabric called tulle or the 1/4 netting it will be about 75% cheaper. 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

99% of all acrylic and lexan is “bowed” or warped due humidity and heat there is no avoiding it. which is why I use higher quality materials like scratch resistant lexan, and if I were to make something out of that material it would have the “bow” facing up. Here is a picture of the two panels I have on my 160 that have the “bow” facing up.

18A60092-66D2-4446-A547-D6127F788EAA.thumb.jpeg.6959df4d59700fcc93cb304ad2c40bca.jpeg

which it would take some extreme heat for it to bend or warp but by that time your house will be on fire.. yes higher quality materials is more expensive but it’s what YOU want for YOUR tank. 

The polycarbonate lids I have purchased have never bowed so that is what I stick to now. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Wow, I just went to clearviews website and those are amazing tops. I wanted to get one for my waterbox 20 because I wanted to add another fish and also to keep my cat out of my tank lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, devaji108 said:

OP you can also check out top lids on FB.

I have a clear view for my RS 750 but might go with  them ( toplids)  for my nano tank I do like there style worth checking out.

also you can DIY one with screen frame and the corners with a flange and fabric called tulle or the 1/4 netting it will be about 75% cheaper. 

Something is wrong with that company right now, complaints lids are not shipping. Just warning you. One poster here said it has been 4 months. Second page of this thread. I think octo lids is comparable?

• Thanks 1
Thrassian Atoll
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Something is wrong with that company right now, complaints lids are not shipping. Just warning you. One poster here said it has been 4 months. Second page of this thread. I think octo lids is comparable?

Yup, over 4 months now I have been waiting.  

• Sad 2
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
30 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Yup, over 4 months now I have been waiting.  

Have they been in contact with you at least? Are they just super jammed that it's taking forever to fill orders?

2 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Have they been in contact with you at least? Are they just super jammed that it's taking forever to fill orders?

Sounds like they don't have a place to make lids and are outsourcing and.... Not making them in order but instead by who threatens to charge back ....and money problems... Run away imo

• Like 4
Thrassian Atoll
3 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I talked to him.  I gave the rundown on my tank thread.  Their basically one foot out the door of going out of business.

• Sad 2
On 9/12/2019 at 12:29 AM, This guy is extra salty said:

But we are talking about an acrylic frame with mesh in the middle, correct?

18 hours ago, Tamberav said:

The polycarbonate lids I have purchased have never bowed so that is what I stick to now. 

Who is making polycarbonate lids?

On 9/12/2019 at 1:39 AM, devaji108 said:

I had a diy on it that was fine, but now having trouble making it with the small cut around for the light clamp.