Innovative Marine Aquariums

BEGINNER OF BIOCUBE 32

CodyReedReefs

CodyReedReefs

Hey guys! 

I am sure there are tons of forms on these topics but I need some help with some things! I have owned and still own multiple freshwater tanks and have decided to get into reefing. I purchased a Coralife Biocube 32 to get my feet wet and start a hobby with my daughter. I have already purchased a intank media and fuge basket. Some of my biggest questions are what are the best items to use in the fuge basket? I am on the fence on what I want to do with this space. In the media basket i plan on running filter floss, Purigen 100ml bag in the middle & Chemi Pure Blue 5.5 oz on the bottom. As for the fuge I would like to have a pretty active copepod population to help with corals & have heard the just plain rubble rock by itself is best in the fuge. I was also considering chaeto by itself or chaeto on top with rubble rock on bottom. The tank is still cycling on the stock filter system as of now, another question I have is when shall I upgrade the filter system? I have all the materials to do so just when? The tank has only been cycling for two days so I have a ways to go before I can add anything to the tank. Any help or tips for a rookie will be much appreciated. Thank you! 

Fuge Basket - Chaeto

Skip the live rock rubble it can lead to nitrates.  Live rock in your display is your biofilter.

Install the Media Basket now, just run floss.  Run the media after cycle.

Install the Fuge Basket with chaeto when the tank is more mature.  Say 2 ish months after the cycle.

• Like 1

I built a pod condo with liverock rubble, getting a lot of pods in my tank since I seeded it. I have not had high nitrates but a pod condo is smaller than filling a chamber with rubble. Filling a chamber with rubble can lead to issues.

I can remove my condo to clean the chamber.

Chaeto is another good option.

Go through various TOTM and see what others are doing or biocube members threads, both are great ways to get loads of ideas and the pros & cons

• Like 2