Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Translucent green zoa??

errand

I have found a strange tiny thing growing in a patch of other zoas, it doesnt look anything like the others. This patch has already got a couple of yellow ones amid the red ones, but no idea what/where the green one came from. Its not sick is it???

20190708_112716.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
12 hours ago, errand said:

I have found a strange tiny thing growing in a patch of other zoas, it doesnt look anything like the others. This patch has already got a couple of yellow ones amid the red ones, but no idea what/where the green one came from. Its not sick is it???

20190708_112716.jpg

I’m not sure. It looks more algae-like than coral. 🤔 kind of pretty though

• Like 3
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

I’m not sure. It looks more algae-like than coral. 🤔 kind of pretty though

Kinda does but not sure what algae.

• Like 2
johnmaloney
15 hours ago, errand said:

20190708_112716.jpg

Looks like a Polyphysa species. Nice score! 

Now you just have to get rid of those zoas that are crowding it out. 🙂

• Haha 6

oh algae really?? that's fantastic! this same rock has also got a lot of little red leaf algae on it I was hoping would grow, the red doesn't disappear in the blue lights like some other reds do.

I don't have a very good picture, I suppose they look similar to crypts but blood red.

thanks guys! yet again these creature never cease to amaze me.

• Like 1

I went back in my picture log and found a photo of when it must have first sprouted although i didn't notice it at the time.

I'm not sure how to get the zoas away I'm a bit scared of scratching them and releasing that toxin, how would you do that safely?

poly.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have found a little patch of them coming up on the same zoa rock, there are 2 heads and a few fronds - there is some kind of brown wiry fuzzy algae all over it though, is there anything I can use to kill the brown stuff without damaging the little green ones? they are tiny

20190724_115552(0).jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Now those poor guys did not survive. I have been fighting green hair algae for about a month, and dipped most of my non glued on rocks/frags in peroxide to help fight it. It is really effective against the algae, but I think also these poor guys didn't like it. I found some on another rock that came from the same wild batch, but those also popped up and then vanished.

• Sad 2