inTank Media Baskets

Spots on my sharknose goby

Aidanburkhardt

Aidanburkhardt

I noticed some white spots pop up on my

sharknose goby that weren’t there the day before and I’m not sure how I can identify and properly treat it so my tank inhabitants are safe if anybody has any ideas on wha tit is and how to treat it id really appreciate it

692644D8-0F0B-4BF3-BDCC-7B3632B0D332.jpeg

957EA6A0-3E0C-4896-885B-4810F2F08FB9.jpeg

Aidanburkhardt
56 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

Looks like ick...or sand particles are stuck to it...but probably ick do u have other fish do they have symptoms? Can you quarentine?

I have 2 Wyoming white clowns and a six line wrasse but they all appear healthy, the goby also ate and is acting normally as well so I’m not sure I don’t have a quarantine system set up either 

Have the fish been together a while or is there a new addition fish or coral or could some contaminated water have gotten in the tank in say the last  7 days that could have carried something in. Is this a brand new fish? 

It could be something called lymphocystis. I see fish in stores with it sometimes but it can also happen in the home aquarium but I dont know if it can just pop up all over the fish overnight. The symptoms are small sometimes clustered cyst like growths on the body and fins.

Marine Ich or ick Symptoms can be flashing or scratching on things, rapid breathing and the white specks or dust on the fish weakness malaise clamped finns and loss of apetite. If its ich The infected fish should be treated you can isolate but it's in the tank. There are multiple medicated ich treatments available. Some also like to increase temp and lower salinity in conjunction with using a medicated  treatment to make things less hospitable for the ich but all these treatments can be harsh on the sysyem and some organisms are sensitive to the medication.

Aidanburkhardt
17 hours ago, LazyFish said:

Have the fish been together a while or is there a new addition fish or coral or could some contaminated water have gotten in the tank in say the last  7 days that could have carried something in. Is this a brand new fish? 

It could be something called lymphocystis. I see fish in stores with it sometimes but it can also happen in the home aquarium but I dont know if it can just pop up all over the fish overnight. The symptoms are small sometimes clustered cyst like growths on the body and fins.

Marine Ich or ick Symptoms can be flashing or scratching on things, rapid breathing and the white specks or dust on the fish weakness malaise clamped finns and loss of apetite. If its ich The infected fish should be treated you can isolate but it's in the tank. There are multiple medicated ich treatments available. Some also like to increase temp and lower salinity in conjunction with using a medicated  treatment to make things less hospitable for the ich but all these treatments can be harsh on the sysyem and some organisms are sensitive to the medication.

The goby is new I just added him 2 days ago 

Aidanburkhardt
13 hours ago, Humblefish said:

Do the spots appear to be under the skin or on the surface? Do they "dangle" at all??

I think they appear on the surface and some do dangle 

8 hours ago, Aidanburkhardt said:

I think they appear on the surface and some do dangle 

The good news is parasites & worms don't dangle.

But virus nodules do: 

• Like 1
Aidanburkhardt
On 6/11/2019 at 10:16 PM, Humblefish said:

The good news is parasites & worms don't dangle.

But virus nodules do: 

That’s a relief thanks for your help I’ll defintely look into it 

A reef-safe treatment (e.g. Rally+KickIch) wouldn't be a horrible idea....nor would running a UV or diatom filter.  If there is something "on the loose" in there, any of those solutions should reduce the immune pressure on your fish.

The diatom or UV filter would probably be the least intrusive on your system.