Pod Your Reef

Recommendations for a Skimmer for a 20 gallon Tank

KeriS

Hello,

So im looking into getting a protein slimmer for the new reef tank I’m wanting to set up. The tank is 20 gallons and will one day have a clown fish anenome and hopefully a tuxedo urchin. I’m hoping to get suggestions on good brands at an affordable price, and models that are good for a 20 gallon tank.

Skimmers don't need good brands. The expensive ones are generally just trying to rip you off, get an airpowered one and just make sure the air stone is of good quality so the bubbles are small and consistent, that's it really, the rest is just plastic which you could just use a pet bottle for the same effect lol.

• Like 1

I have the bubble magus qq1 HOB on my 25g lagoon. I like it. It's super quiet, small foot print and skims haha (I only have a pair of tiny yellow watchman gobies so far so not that much to skim lol). And it's relatively cheap to buy 🙂

On 6/3/2019 at 9:08 PM, ezreefer73 said:

I too have the bubble magus qq1  hob on my 20 long reef. It skims like a beast. I got mine off of Amazon.

How do you adjust It? I received mine yesterday and it overflows in a couple of minutes.

14 hours ago, Leonelreo said:

How do you adjust It? I received mine yesterday and it overflows in a couple of minutes.

Ok, it just came to me during my nap. You can adjust the height of the cone.

Yes. I keep the skimmer cup on my QQ1 pretty high. It skims pretty dry that way and really takes out a good about of brown smelly crud. It skims really well!! It does take a few days to get dialed in.