SaltCritters.com

Seeking Recommendation | Optimum Filtration for Coral Only Nano Tank

Krish87

Hi Friends,

I'm currently setting up a 7G tank where it would only be corals. Any recommendation on what will be the optimal filtration required for a coral-only tank.

It would be a soft + LPS coral only nano! I'm thinking a filter-floss and very little carbon just to fight odor.

Any other recommendations / thoughts / inputs? 

Much appreciated 🙂

blasterman

Any small HOB filter will do, and you will likely rarely need to run it. Maybe throw some carbon in it from time to time for polishing, but that's it. Mechanical filtration is over rated on all but bare bottom tanks, and I strongly suggest not running bare bottom on a small tank because you have little buffering capacity as it is.

As long as you have good circulation and air turnover you shouldn't be dealing with smell. I feed the %&!@ out of my small LPS / softie tanks and they have no smell. They also get good circulation and if I don't skim they get blasted with a wooden airstone at night. My chemistry / coral health has never been better since I started doing this.

Unless you heavy feed LPS like I do I suggest keeping one fish (damsels are good for this) to keep the biological filter going. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, blasterman said:

Any small HOB filter will do, and you will likely rarely need to run it. Maybe throw some carbon in it from time to time for polishing, but that's it. Mechanical filtration is over rated on all but bare bottom tanks, and I strongly suggest not running bare bottom on a small tank because you have little buffering capacity as it is.

As long as you have good circulation and air turnover you shouldn't be dealing with smell. I feed the %&!@ out of my small LPS / softie tanks and they have no smell. They also get good circulation and if I don't skim they get blasted with a wooden airstone at night. My chemistry / coral health has never been better since I started doing this.

Unless you heavy feed LPS like I do I suggest keeping one fish (damsels are good for this) to keep the biological filter going. 

Cool, thanks for the tip! And yeah, am not running bare bottom! 

An hob will work. A larger one provides more water volume, hide the filter in it too.

gfo is for phosphates which should only be used to reduce high phosphates. If you don't have high phos, you can strip the tank of this nutrients.

If you are looking to clarify water a d reduce odors, you want carbon, a good one is seachem matrix

A coral only tank will need to be fed and nutrients monitored because too low is as bad as too high.

5 hours ago, Krish87 said:

Hi Friends,

I'm currently setting up a 7G tank where it would only be corals. Any recommendation on what will be the optimal filtration required for a coral-only tank.

It would be a soft + LPS coral only nano! I'm thinking a filter-floss and very little GFO just to fight odor.

Any other recommendations / thoughts / inputs? 

Much appreciated 🙂

For odor you want to run carbon, not GFO. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

For odor you want to run carbon, not GFO. 

Oops, sorry I meant carbon in the main post, not GFO! Thanks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

An hob will work. A larger one provides more water volume, hide the filter in it too.

gfo is for phosphates which should only be used to reduce high phosphates. If you don't have high phos, you can strip the tank of this nutrients.

If you are looking to clarify water a d reduce odors, you want carbon, a good one is seachem matrix

A coral only tank will need to be fed and nutrients monitored because too low is as bad as too high.

Thanks @Clown79. I actually meant carbon in the main post, not GFO. My apologies for that!

Yep, it only has 2 corals for now, trying to get the light intensity right for the 7G first, and then add more corals gradually.

5 hours ago, Krish87 said:

Thanks @Clown79. I actually meant carbon in the main post, not GFO. My apologies for that!

Yep, it only has 2 corals for now, trying to get the light intensity right for the 7G first, and then add more corals gradually.

I figured that's what you meant, just wanted to clarify just in case😊

• Thanks 1