Top Shelf Aquatics

Nuvo 40 microbubble!

Nick13

I have nuvo 40 that has been running for about 3 months now and cant seem to figure out my microbubble problems. I'm running the mighty jet return pump along with the nuvoskim skimmer. I've also replaced all the hoses from the return pump and zip tied them as well. Here's a video of the bubbles. Let me know what you guys think. TIA 

Let me know what you guys think. TIA 

• 3 weeks later...
BearTheSquare

I had a good amount of micro bubbles in the display of my im 10. Scrubbed the return pump with a toothbrush to get rid of the buildup and it seemed to help because now I’m not seeing any. Not sure if it was that or not, but might be worth a shot. 

MainelyReefer

Ran an IM40 for 3 years without microbubble issues.  I always kept the skimmer backwards, put the inlet facing the return pump chamber that way the bubbles are discharged upstream of the skimmer and it reprocesses them. Other than that it seems the water levels are correct as if the return chamber was lower sometimes it would make bubbles but I kept my ATO 1” below the center baffles and it ran great.  Looks like the RFGs are low enough not to suck air too, Good luck and don’t worry it’s not permanent it’s something silly. Try process of elimination by shutting off equipment like the skimmer and let it run for a day and see if it stops. Then you know what to address 

I don't think it's the skimmer I have shut it off for a day but still get the bubbles. I have taken my return pump out and cleaned it as well with not luck. I'm wondering if it's maybe the return elbows or fittings that go through the back wall? Is there a way to make them more secure? Maybe something threded through with a gasket? 

Tuan’s Reef

Not normal to me. Mine is no where near that. I get very little coming out of the spin stream nozzle is about it.  I think you are in the right track on checking the pump and all it fittings IMO

Yea I can't imagine it's normal I might call IM and see if I can get replacement fittings that go through the back wall of the tank. Id like to find a more secure way to connect them tho.

I would try turning off the skimmer for a day and see if it clears. Also try bringing up the water level so the back chamber so doesn't have a big drop flowing into the chamber with the pump that can create some bubbles. I doubt it's a fitting my 10 and 20 have had so many fittings and configurations some that were loose leaky and I'll fitting and they still were never an issue. Skimmer water level and pump would be my suspects in that order fittings would be my last suspect.

Tuan’s Reef
3 hours ago, LazyFish said:

I would try turning off the skimmer for a day and see if it clears. Also try bringing up the water level so the back chamber so doesn't have a big drop flowing into the chamber with the pump that can create some bubbles. I doubt it's a fitting my 10 and 20 have had so many fittings and configurations some that were loose leaky and I'll fitting and they still were never an issue. Skimmer water level and pump would be my suspects in that order fittings would be my last suspect.

Micro bubbles is most definitely a skimmer thing, however the OP mentioned he already turned off his skimmer but the bubbles still there 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 40nuvo with medium nuvo skimmer for it. 

Occasionally get bubbles. I raised my skimmer up with a foam block since it wasnt high enough. 

I also added a rubber band under the main the seal of the skimmer cup as mine would let bubbles through seal sometimes. Rubber band fixed it for sure. 

3 months it coooould still be adjusting and settling in. 

Also make sure it's not up against any wall and is sitting nicely centered in the chamber for water to flow all around. 

Also I would raise your water level just a smidge back there looking at the video.