Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Stray the monster

bittersweet

bittersweet

I have been using Nano Reef as a resource for years and finally have a question that I haven't been able to figure out myself.  

This tank (17g) has been up for nine months.  Rock must have introduced this hitchhiker at that time however I've just noticed him.  Corals are fine.  A small bit of hair algae.  Two hi-fin gobies who are permanent residents.  I've lost (without a trace) a blenny, a cardinal fish, a porcelain crab, and a pistol shrimp in the past six months.  

Noticed this guy a half hour before lights out (during ramp down) on Thursday.  Video is using a flashlight.  He seemed flat so I'm thinking some kind of slug or possibly a sea hare but they seem to have dimension to them where this hitchhiker appears flat.  He escaped to under the rock where my gobies have their den.

Any one have any recommendations that I can look into? 

**I can't seem to post the video but you can see it at Rereef_the_kraken on Instagram.  

22 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Here you go. Now it’s on NanoReef. 

That looks like a polyclad flatworm. Bad dude. 

Have you had anyone come up missing? Crabs? Snails? Fish?

bittersweet

Thank you WV Reefer.  I believe it to be a polyclad as well.  

I've had a little bit of everything come up missing including a clam.  I'll have to trap him  although I've been know to intentionally overpay for something due to the hitchhiker.  

Any suggestions on how to make sure my tank is rid of any polyclad offspring/eggs?  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bittersweet said:

Thank you WV Reefer.  I believe it top be a polyclad as well.  

I've had a little bit of everything come up missing including a clam.  I'll have to trap him  although I've been know to intentionally overpay for something due to the hitchhiker.  

Any suggestions on how to make sure my tank is rid of any polyclad offspring/eggs?  

They are notorious clam killers.  It’s a shame because they are so cool to watch move around. 

Everything Ive read says it’s unlikely that there is more than one in a tank that size. I’ve read that dips don’t really affect them much but people still try to dip the rocks in case there are eggs in there. 

Good luck with a trap and keep us updated.