ReefCleaners.org

"Hack" Aquabus to power 12V DC leak detector?

chaostactics

chaostactics

I have a waterbug WB-200 system but im all out of space to plug in a 12volt power supply. In theory Aquabus puts out 12V DC any reason (aside from voiding warranties) I couldnt use the power carrier wires of a USB cord to provide 12V DC to the waterbug?

On 4/18/2019 at 4:36 PM, chaostactics said:

I have a waterbug WB-200 system but im all out of space to plug in a 12volt power supply. In theory Aquabus puts out 12V DC any reason (aside from voiding warranties) I couldnt use the power carrier wires of a USB cord to provide 12V DC to the waterbug?

I am not familiar with either the Waterbug or the Aquabus, but after doing a bit of research I don't see why it wouldn't work.  The according to this source the waterbug draws at most 100 milliamps, and a USB cord can easily supply that.  The only thing im not sure about is if the Aquabus really puts out 12v: nearly every USB source outputs only 5, and the Waterbug needs at least 8.  If you could be a little bit more specific about what Aquabus model you have I could give you a better answer.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to "Hack" Aquabus to power 12V DC leak detector?
chaostactics
On 4/20/2019 at 11:39 AM, bomerst said:

I am not familiar with either the Waterbug or the Aquabus, but after doing a bit of research I don't see why it wouldn't work.  The according to this source the waterbug draws at most 100 milliamps, and a USB cord can easily supply that.  The only thing im not sure about is if the Aquabus really puts out 12v: nearly every USB source outputs only 5, and the Waterbug needs at least 8.  If you could be a little bit more specific about what Aquabus model you have I could give you a better answer.

Neptune specifically warns against hooking usb items to the aquabus ports on the EB8s (or anywhere else in the system) because it carries 12v instead of the typical 5. 

What i read shows the waterbug pulling about 35 miliamps in the 8-24V DC range. 

The way i figure if the aquabus system can run upto 29 Apex modules on the apex classic system there must be 35 miliamps to spare.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:45 AM, chaostactics said:

Neptune specifically warns against hooking usb items to the aquabus ports on the EB8s (or anywhere else in the system) because it carries 12v instead of the typical 5. 

What i read shows the waterbug pulling about 35 miliamps in the 8-24V DC range. 

The way i figure if the aquabus system can run upto 29 Apex modules on the apex classic system there must be 35 miliamps to spare.

I agree: it should be able to run it without issue.  I would recommend using aquabus USB cables though when you rig your setup, as normal cables a not be built to take that much voltage