fissues

20 // UNS // SPS

fissues
24 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

My pink lemonade hasn't grown much in like 6 months.  Sigh.  But I think I know what I need to change to make my SPS color up and grow better.  MOAR FLOW AND LIGHT.  

The pink lemonade I mentioned put a base out that grew over the edge of the 2" disk and then proceeded to stall for 9 to 12 months, as I recall... then it exploded in growth after that.

Yeah, it's pretty surprising how much flow and light SPS need to get those really light pastel colors... But don't rule feeding out. Some of the best pieces I've seen were being fed phytoplankton, liquid oyster, and cyclops several times a week.  To counter all the extra nutrients we didn't even use any skimmers... We just built a massive algae scrubber... which also is an addition I'll be making the future. 

• Like 1

MrFish888

Looks awesome. I’m starting my first tank. 

ninjamyst
29 minutes ago, fissues said:

The pink lemonade I mentioned put a base out that grew over the edge of the 2" disk and then proceeded to stall for 9 to 12 months, as I recall... then it exploded in growth after that.

Yeah, it's pretty surprising how much flow and light SPS need to get those really light pastel colors... But don't rule feeding out. Some of the best pieces I've seen were being fed phytoplankton, liquid oyster, and cyclops several times a week.  To counter all the extra nutrients we didn't even use any skimmers... We just built a massive algae scrubber... which also is an addition I'll be making the future. 

The guy recommended oyster feast to me too =).  I been running my kessil at 75% only and 15in above water line.  I lowered it and bumped it to 80% and will continue to ramp it up.  And I was only peaking at 75% for an hour.  Hahah.  Definitely not enough.  

fissues
4 hours ago, MrFish888 said:

Looks awesome. I’m starting my first tank. 

Thanks man! Get a build thread up and start posting! 

4 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

The guy recommended oyster feast to me too =).  I been running my kessil at 75% only and 15in above water line.  I lowered it and bumped it to 80% and will continue to ramp it up.  And I was only peaking at 75% for an hour.  Hahah.  Definitely not enough.  

Have you tested PAR at all yet?  I would think at like 12" you should probably be able to get right around 100% safely. I usually just tell people to only raise intensity about 5% once every 7-14 days and just wait for the coral to show you is they like it. 

lizzyann

Really nice start, excited to see where this goes! I love your light mount. I was hoping to do an industrial-looking pipe mount for my two AI Primes when I upgraded my tank but I ended up going with a different, much simpler, plan because the pipe+lights+extending out 2ft just seemed too heavy to be supported by drywall. You've got me thinking again about how I could possibly make it work though!

• Like 1

fissues

Back from the trip... Stoked to say everything worked awesome and the tank is doing great. It was so nice to be able to check up on the Apex and verify everything was working properly. 

20190807_180202.thumb.jpg.50a4a1283a10399e8dbe2a1e81da3ebc.jpg

I was also able to keep a close eye with this Foscam wifi camera... I chose it because it was the only one under $100 to have 4x optical zoom so I could get a little more detail if I needed. 

20190729_150227.thumb.jpg.fbe7204e68355ab54dd3d938b42421e6.jpg

You can probably see that the corals are all starting to lighten up a bit... 

_DSC0956.thumb.jpg.eade02d9118df5aea03e18ed81439572.jpg

I saw this beginning to happen just before I left, so I lowered the lighting intensity to ~30% at max for about 5 hours (down from 40%). I also tested for nitrates and was delighted to see that they're almost not even registering on my Tropic Marin test kit. 

_DSC0959.thumb.jpg.743add24187b2f1004a50199f90719a6.jpg

I'm definitely not trying to keep them that low, but this means the 8x8x4 Marinepure block is actually housing some denitrifying bacteria that's helping consume nitrates. So now I can start feeding some coral food regularly and I shouldn't have to worry so much about nitrate levels (though even if I do get too much nitrate, I have a plan for that as well).

I think I'm gonna go pick up some calanus and Oyster Feast and LRS Reef Frenzy and start feeding switching off with a little every day or so. That's been my favorite combination for years now. 

I also added a couple Scarlett hermits and Trochus snails to help with the new algae growth, but my older red leg hermits have already eaten a couple snails 😑 whatever though. 

Next up, more fish.

• Like 1

Tigahboy

Beautiful beginnings.  Love the scape and overall clean look of the set-up.  Nicely done!

• Like 2

fissues
On 8/4/2019 at 12:26 AM, lizzyann said:

Really nice start, excited to see where this goes! I love your light mount. I was hoping to do an industrial-looking pipe mount for my two AI Primes when I upgraded my tank but I ended up going with a different, much simpler, plan because the pipe+lights+extending out 2ft just seemed too heavy to be supported by drywall. You've got me thinking again about how I could possibly make it work though!

Thanks! You'd be surprised with how much weight drywall can hold. I have 4 of the 8 screws from my mounts reaching all the way into the wall and none of them hit studs. I just used 4 Pop Toggles to anchor the screws. I'm not even phased by the weight on the drywall now. I'm also the guy with a stand supporting a 20 gallon that only uses 1/2 plywood. (using 2x4s on tanks under 75 gallons is an insane amount of overkill.)

• Like 1

ninjamyst

My fav hermit is scarlet red.  The rest are killers.  

• Like 2

fissues
15 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Beautiful beginnings.  Love the scape and overall clean look of the set-up.  Nicely done!

Thank you! 

14 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

My fav hermit is scarlet red.  The rest are killers.  

Yeah, I've known that's usually the case. I used to only recommend Scarletts working at the shop I was with for years, but I stubbornly thought I could probably get away with a couple red legs anyway, for biodiversity's sake... Dumb idea on my part lol. 

• Haha 1