Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

REAALLY want to breed sexy anenome shrimp can anyone help?????????

PeejFish

Hi,

I am really interested in breeding sexy anenome shrimp, At first It would be a hobby but eventually I would like to be making some kind of a profit....If anyone has any info on it such as articles, books, other threads....anything I'd love to attempt it, thanks

wow...tochophore...veliger...pedi-veliger...striking a tone? There are teams oh pHDs at ORA, OI, UF and UNC working on the same thing with no luck. If you are looking to do it and make a profit, your horse isnt before the cart, the horse has been dead for a week and the cart has no wheels...good luck

that comment made a hell of a lot of sense also, how about unless your going to help don't post a reply. All your doing is being useless, so unless you can offer in help in anyway other than being a jackass then don't post...these forums are to help not to try and look all mighty on the internet by being a jerk to someone whose potentially not as knowledgable is you in a certain subject

I did reply in a helpful way, but your idea is so stupid and shows such a lack of research that it is hard not to scorne you. If you had any knowledge at all on the topic you are planing on making "a profit" on, you would see how goofy it is, that is why i made the above post. However, as you seem to be quite thick, breeding sexys in your tank is as likly as cureing AIDS with popcorn, snot and SWANK...get it now?

I understand and I have researched, theres no articles or anything that I have found which is why I asked for help on this forum only to get someone like yourself, I asked for help books and articles and If it were possible to eventually make a profit in a few years not to immediatly try it and get it and then make a million dollars profit in an hour

PeejFish... you gotta admit, if it weren't you getting poked fun at, you would be laughing at his response. Anyway, he did give you the answer you needed... just with a sense of humor (as sick as it may be).

Doc... I DID cure AIDs with popcorn, snot, and a copy of SWANK. I'm just waiting on the patent office. You don't expect me to do it without making a hefty profit do you?

I would happily buy Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) in large volumes. They have been bred in captivity, but not on a commerical level. If you could get something like that going, I'd definitely buy them! Might be best to start with something that is known to reproduce in captivity. That way you only have to figure out how to get them to reproduce in commercial quantities. Much easier than trying to figure out how to get them to reproduce in the first place.

The crazy lady at my LFS bred them in a small Eclipse that housed seahorses. I'll ask her how she did it. I should emphasize that she works far to much at this hobby (she kept feather stars for a long while by feeding them four times a day with a syringe). Her advice might not be that practical...

alright I admit, the subject was a little obnoxious with all the ?'s and the capital lettering, but I got a bit excited at the thought, I already breed peppermint shrimp, might move to cleaner shrimp....Sexy shrimp are one of my favorite shrimp so I thought aquaculturing them even on a small scale for my friends and stuff would be cool, Mary thanks for the reply---the lady sounds kinda nuts but I'd like the info none the less

-PeejFish

ok, it's one thing to breed it's another to raise the babies, from what I understand it is NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to raise these things as they go through some crazy amount of stages until adult size and each one requires a special food.

You wouldn't happen to have any articles or posts on how to get them to mate and breed etc...For their young I'm willing to give it a go, I don't mind culturing many different things to feed them either, I think it'd be real rewarding

thanks for the info,

-PeejFish

i don't think it's just the food requirements. i remember from somewhere that many shrimp larval stages are completely free-swimming and die if they contact any hard surfaces (like the sides of your tank).

Look for the text LIVING INVERTEBRATES by Pearse. This will give you a good idea of the life history of penaeid shrimp. Also hit your local univeristy and use UBISCO to search the journals AQUACULTURE and THE JOURNAL of SHELLFISH RESEARCH.

I can't find the magazine right now, but I do remember that it had a pajama cardinal on the cover. I'll try to find it this weekend. It didn't offer a whole lot of hope, but did reccommend five or ten books that might help with the subject. Of course, if I remember correctly, each book was one that sounded like it would require a whole lot more books to fully comprehend it, so it would be mucho workage to do this. If you're into a get rich quick scenario, I don't think you would be interested. If not, get a degree in marine biology first. I wish I had; my English/history degree ain't paying off real big. Maybe it's my insistence on using "ain't".

Archived