Coral Vue Hydros

A new designer clownfish (Nemo for kids)

seabass

Check out the email that I got this morning.  I must have been put on a mailing list when I toured an Iowa barramundi aquaculture facility, because now I get some pretty interesting email. I don't know just how public this information is, as I haven't yet seen it anywhere else. I assume that it's OK to re-post this. It looks to be a public announcement.

_____

freshwaterclownsinc.thumb.jpg.ac3172afaaaac6becd008548ab739e12.jpg

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Well I f-ing fell for it... 🤦‍♀️

All good Kimber,hold up I gotta take this call from the Prince of Zimbabwe .

• Haha 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
12 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Don’t worry, also fell for it until I saw pgrVll say April fools😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I'm sure that if it wasn't April Fool's Day, it would be more believable (especially if I changed the address).  It would certainly be unlikely, and arguably abusive, but the details seem plausible.  I'm wondering if a polymer similar to GEX could be used in the process of raising the fry.

• Wow 1
18 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

What's the story behind that GEX video though?

It's kind of strange.  This came out something like10 years ago, but we still haven't seen a lot more about it.  Apparently, this powder increases osmotic pressure without using salt.  The freshwater fish seem to be able to adapt.  I'm not sure what it's made from or if the fish can live long term, stress free lives.  It is interesting though.

1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

hahah he got me.

YES!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

That video is pretty cool. I wonder the same thing in regards to live long term and stress free. Really cool to see clownfish with goldfish though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

I always have to watch out for @seabass on April 1st 😄 

Good one this year! What's the story behind that GEX video though?

I know right! 

He got me last year and just about did it again...

• Haha 2

I do wonder if one could eventually be bred that can do that though. There are plenty of fish that are evolved to handle both salt and fresh water maybe slowly decreasing salinity though a couple dozen generations until you get a set that can fish that can tolerate brackish or freshwater.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hotdrop said:

I do wonder if one could eventually be bred that can do that though. There are plenty of fish that are evolved to handle both salt and fresh water maybe slowly decreasing salinity though a couple dozen generations until you get a set that can fish that can tolerate brackish or freshwater.  

I think you would have an incredibly high mortality rate, but could probably select. Genetic diversity seems like it might be an issue if you were limited to such a low survival rate.

It would take some time to reach sexual maturity, and even then you would want to test the longevity of the fish.

2 hours ago, asting said:

I think you would have an incredibly high mortality rate, but could probably select. Genetic diversity seems like it might be an issue if you were limited to such a low survival rate. 

Wild fish also have incredibly low survival rates and these fish don't have predators that that will help. Fish mature quite quickly compared to mammals for example it would definitely be a life's work type of deal to breed them to tolerate fresh water. 

7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Nice...time to buy em up and go release them into freshwater lakes 😉

"FWC uses an undisclosed, proprietary method to hatch and raise fry through the metamorphic stage.  Attempts to breed Freshwater Clowns®, even with elevated salt levels, would almost certainly prove to be unsuccessful."  Plus, they really need a little salt for optimal health, so...

:wink:

OMG i fell for it too LOL. i kinda hope it isnt real, because if it was i can guarantee we will see tons of clowns in half gallon bowls. i dont even want to think about that. the GEX thing is interesting though. i heard about it a few years back, with a pic of a tank with foxfaces and goldfish together. certainly very interesting.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, BlennyBoi said:

LOL. i kinda hope it isnt real, because if it was i can guarantee we will see tons of clowns in half gallon bowls. i dont even want to think about that.

AT a suggested retail price of $129, I would hope that people would invest in a more suitable tank for them.  fingerscrossed

I just came up with that figure.  However, if you can't collect them, or breed them, I suspect that price isn't too far out of line.  And every little kid who's seen Finding Nemo will want one. :bling:

Image result for finding nemo girl
23 hours ago, seabass said:

AT a suggested retail price of $129, I would hope that people would invest in a more suitable tank for them.  fingerscrossed

I just came up with that figure.  However, if you can't collect them, or breed them, I suspect that price isn't too far out of line.  And every little kid who's seen Finding Nemo will want one. :bling:

ooh expensive. i really hope people will give them a suitable tank. FISHY WHY ARE YOU SLEEPYImage result for finding nemo girl

On 4/2/2019 at 12:45 AM, seabass said:

I'm sure that if it wasn't April Fool's Day, it would be more believable (especially if I changed the address).  It would certainly be unlikely, and arguably abusive, but the details seem plausible.  I'm wondering if a polymer similar to GEX could be used in the process of raising the fry.

WOAH. that is sick! overstocked though. is that purple thing coral?

25 minutes ago, BlennyBoi said:

is that purple thing coral? 

Live coral wouldn't survive in GEX water.  Not sure what it is, aquarium decoration or some kind of rock. :unsure:

30 minutes ago, seabass said:

Live coral wouldn't survive in GEX water.  Not sure what it is, aquarium decoration or some kind of rock. :unsure:

oh ok i got exited for a sec