ReefCleaners.org

AquaMaxx vs. Lifeguard Aquatics

Superdave

I thought this was best forum to ask question about this comparison, but mods feel free to move (or I will repost) in more appropriate space.  

I currently have a 5.5 AGA which I have had setup a nano-reef since about 2002 and am finally getting the itch to move up to a slightly bigger tank!  My tank resides on the bathroom counter and so I only have a limited space that I want the tank to occupy.  I also am happy with my current lights (Kessil A80), and filter (AC70).  I simply want a bit more "space" for coral and rockwork as I find it difficult to scrape the front glass without running into something and I would ideally like a bit more open space to contrast with my rock work.  I am also fairly set on the going the rimless route for an even cleaner look.  

Currently, I am thinking (but we all know how that can change when someone tells us about something even cooler) something in the 10 gallon range (marketed size) such as one by AquaMaxx or Lifeguard Aquatics.  Am a big fan of @Marine Depot as I earn reward points and they have been a great supplier in the past so I trust them to successfully ship a tank or make things right should something go wrong in transit.  

I definitely do not want an overflow/all in one tank so the two strongest candidates are: 

AquaMaxx Rectangular Low-Iron Rimless Aquarium - 9.6 Gallon

and the

Lifegard Aquatics CRYSTAL Aquarium 45 Degree Low Iron Ultra Clear - 9.6 Gallon

While both a very similar, is there a particular reason for the price difference?  The Lifeguard utilizes 45 degree corners, which appears in most cases to be a premium/upgrade feature that increases the price.  I know tons of folks here use AquaMaxx tanks which is a good point in their favor in my book, but the price difference is not negligible.  Does AquaMaxx just have a bigger advertising budget to recoup?  

Feedback about both or either tank as well as other similar options (I have looked also at some Ultu Nature System tanks but they are quite a bit more) I should possibly consider.  

Thanks!

--Superdave

Marine Depot
49 minutes ago, Superdave said:

I thought this was best forum to ask question about this comparison, but mods feel free to move (or I will repost) in more appropriate space.  

I currently have a 5.5 AGA which I have had setup a nano-reef since about 2002 and am finally getting the itch to move up to a slightly bigger tank!  My tank resides on the bathroom counter and so I only have a limited space that I want the tank to occupy.  I also am happy with my current lights (Kessil A80), and filter (AC70).  I simply want a bit more "space" for coral and rockwork as I find it difficult to scrape the front glass without running into something and I would ideally like a bit more open space to contrast with my rock work.  I am also fairly set on the going the rimless route for an even cleaner look.  

Currently, I am thinking (but we all know how that can change when someone tells us about something even cooler) something in the 10 gallon range (marketed size) such as one by AquaMaxx or Lifeguard Aquatics.  Am a big fan of @Marine Depot as I earn reward points and they have been a great supplier in the past so I trust them to successfully ship a tank or make things right should something go wrong in transit.  

I definitely do not want an overflow/all in one tank so the two strongest candidates are: 

AquaMaxx Rectangular Low-Iron Rimless Aquarium - 9.6 Gallon

and the

Lifegard Aquatics CRYSTAL Aquarium 45 Degree Low Iron Ultra Clear - 9.6 Gallon

While both a very similar, is there a particular reason for the price difference?  The Lifeguard utilizes 45 degree corners, which appears in most cases to be a premium/upgrade feature that increases the price.  I know tons of folks here use AquaMaxx tanks which is a good point in their favor in my book, but the price difference is not negligible.  Does AquaMaxx just have a bigger advertising budget to recoup?  

Feedback about both or either tank as well as other similar options (I have looked also at some Ultu Nature System tanks but they are quite a bit more) I should possibly consider.  

Thanks!

--Superdave

We are reaching out to Lifegard Aquatics to see if they can tell us more about the glass thickness and clarity of their aquariums so we can add that to the product descriptions. Listing that information is useful so you get a better idea of the quality of the tank but also so you can choose appropriate pumps, algae magnets, etc. From a cost standpoint, we pay less for the AquaMaxx 9.6 although we buy significantly more so that may have something to do with it. Ultimately product pricing is determined by the manufacturer and/or our purchasing department, so that's why I was curious about the clarity and thickness since that must justify the price difference between these two similar tanks. I will follow up once I know more.

Jeff @ Marine Depot

Awesome!  That's amazing customer service from Marine Depot.

I'm guessing clarity and thickness must be the only difference.  Having said that, I have the Lifegard tank (for a FW planted tank) and it is very nice.  Love the 45 degree corners!  But if UNS is thicker and/or clearer, I would go with UNS since that has the 45 degree corners as well.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Awesome!  That's amazing customer service from Marine Depot.

I'm guessing clarity and thickness must be the only difference.  Having said that, I have the Lifegard tank (for a FW planted tank) and it is very nice.  Love the 45 degree corners!  But if UNS is thicker and/or clearer, I would go with UNS since that has the 45 degree corners as well.

I only did the "at" part as I have seen other people do it..!  

Tigahboy--I could see with a larger tank (like yours) that the thicker glass would be worth while but do you think its really that big of deal in the 10 gallon range?  I guess maybe to avoid potential issues with hang on filter, light, etc. so you don't worry about cracking it easily?  

Marine Depot
17 minutes ago, Superdave said:

Wow--thanks so much Jeff!!  

The 9.6 gallon Lifegard tank has 5 mm thick glass with 92% clarity on the glass, so basically identical to the AquaMaxx tank. Looks to me like the better value is the Lifegard. Also the AquaMaxx just sold out, so there's that. 😊

Jeff @ Marine Depot

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Superdave said:

I only did the "at" part as I have seen other people do it..!  

Tigahboy--I could see with a larger tank (like yours) that the thicker glass would be worth while but do you think its really that big of deal in the 10 gallon range?  I guess maybe to avoid potential issues with hang on filter, light, etc. so you don't worry about cracking it easily?  

Looks like it is a moot point given MD's response above. 

The UNS tank is also 5mm and around 91% clarity, so really these tanks are pretty much all identical with the exception of price and edge.  Lifegard does seem like the best option then given they are all the same and its price point.  It is a nice looking tank as well.  Check out my IG (@tigahboy.h2o) for my #kiddieplantedtank for some images.

But to answer your question, if just HOB or clipping on a light, thickness probably doesn't matter. too much for these tanks.  But if you want to drill the tank for an overflow and want to hang plumbing off of the tank I was thinking the thicker the better.  

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Looks like it is a moot point given MD's response above. 

The UNS tank is also 5mm and around 91% clarity, so really these tanks are pretty much all identical with the exception of price and edge.  Lifegard does seem like the best option then given they are all the same and its price point.  It is a nice looking tank as well.  Check out my IG (@tigahboy.h2o) for my #kiddieplantedtank for some images.

But to answer your question, if just HOB or clipping on a light, thickness probably doesn't matter. too much for these tanks.  But if you want to drill the tank for an overflow and want to hang plumbing off of the tank I was thinking the thicker the better.  

So the "kiddieplanted" is the Lifeguard 9.6?  

@Marine Depot -- do you (or manufacturer) recommend leveling mats (or similar system) for the above mentioned tanks?  My new tank will be on a bathroom counter that is made of a composite fiberglass type material so it is very smooth, even and level.  

Thanks!

--Superdave

Marine Depot
1 hour ago, Superdave said:

@Marine Depot -- do you (or manufacturer) recommend leveling mats (or similar system) for the above mentioned tanks?  My new tank will be on a bathroom counter that is made of a composite fiberglass type material so it is very smooth, even and level.  

Thanks!

--Superdave

Yep, we always recommend them and use them when we set up an aquarium.

"Recommended for use under all frameless aquariums, acrylic aquariums or any flat bottom aquariums. The mat will smooth out small uneven surfaces on your aquarium stands as well as compensate for leveling to a small degree. The leveling mat helps to evenly distribute pressure and ensure the longevity of your aquarium. Please do note that even with the use of a leveling mat, it is always recommended to have your stands as level as possible before continuing setup.  Uneven surfaces can add unnecessary stress to the aquarium bottom panel or walls. By having a solid and leveled stand along with the leveling mat, you can decrease the stress pressure points thus increasing the integrity and longevity of the aquarium. All aquariums will flex to a degree and are designed to do so from manufacturing specifications. As aquarium keepers, we would want our investment to last. It is the utmost importance to make certain your aquarium stand is precisely even and leveled. The leveling mat will offer you that needed extra protection and make certain of an even stand surface for the aquarium."