Innovative Marine Aquariums

HELP FEED MY INDECISIVE MIND

campbell_wat

campbell_wat

Long story short, I have a pico reef, with corals, full CUC, been up for a couple months.

I am debating between a Green Clown Goby or a Firefish. Yes I know they are pretty easy to take care of, one needs a lid etc etc.

What has everyone's experience been with these two fish, do you prefer one over the other? Personality? Why or why not?

In a shot essay discuss the pros and cons of each, you have 45 minutes, begin. All jokes aside, which should I go with? ❤️

campbell_wat
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I have a GCG and I love him. He's constantly up and about, perching on the corals or rocks. Firefish are okay too but they can be jumpers. Exactly how large is your pico reef?

5gallon display area with 3gallon back chamber for filtration and such...

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, campbell_wat said:

Long story short, I have a pico reef, with corals, full CUC, been up for a couple months.

I am debating between a Green Clown Goby or a Firefish. Yes I know they are pretty easy to take care of, one needs a lid etc etc.

What has everyone's experience been with these two fish, do you prefer one over the other? Personality? Why or why not?

In a shot essay discuss the pros and cons of each, you have 45 minutes, begin. All jokes aside, which should I go with? ❤️

I don’t know if this is true, but I heard that it is hard to get gcgs to get to eat at first?

Snow_Phoenix
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I don’t know if this is true, but I heard that it is hard to get gcgs to get to eat at first?

It can be, but I found YCGs harder to wean onto prepared than GCGs. I got very lucky with my current GCG. He was eating pellets within the first few days into my tank - the tricky thing was finding a pellet that could fit his mouth because he was <1" when I got him (~0.75", actually). Now that he's hit max size, he eats any pellet, live or frozen I put into the tank.

1 hour ago, 1.0reef said:

Any small goby/blenny/benthic fish will work. Certain smaller species could be kept in pairs as well.

^This.

Look into neon gobies, sharkline gobies, GBGs or TSB, if you're not keen on the GCG.

I've had both. Clown goby is cute but hit and miss with hobbyists.

Some find them out and about eating, others they hide all the time and won't eat.

Firefish are awesome. If they are not with aggressive fish, they are out and about, quite beautiful.

They are skittish so a mesh lid will be needed.

Have you considered a blenny? They are great fish. I had a bicolor in my 5g. 

A tailspot would be cool.

• Like 2
campbell_wat

Thanks for all the input guys! Im sold on the GCG, and i have the privilege of an LFS who has already weaned most all of their stock onto prepared pellets (god bless). Plus as a broke college kid, it won't break the bank :)...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 1:49 PM, Clown79 said:

I've had both. Clown goby is cute but hit and miss with hobbyists.

Some find them out and about eating, others they hide all the time and won't eat.

Firefish are awesome. If they are not with aggressive fish, they are out and about, quite beautiful.

They are skittish so a mesh lid will be needed.

Have you considered a blenny? They are great fish. I had a bicolor in my 5g. 

A tailspot would be cool.

5g is too small for a bicolour

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 3:54 PM, campbell_wat said:

I am debating between a Green Clown Goby or a Firefish.

OMG. you had to pick two most boring fishes in the hobby. :haha:

Go to the pet shop and watch them. Then report back. :slap:

On 3/8/2019 at 7:44 AM, campbell_wat said:

Plus as a broke college kid, it won't break the bank :)...

LMAO, your in the wrong hobby bud!