Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Keeping nitrates down in a sumpless 36g tank

Kdsd731

12 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

After that many waterchanges yiur nitrates should be reduced.

That means more nutrients is going in than out. Which makes me consider the water source.

I used 2 local shops on those water changes.  One uses ocean water and the other,  my usual shop uses 7 stage RODI water and mixes it themselves. Both waters tested perfect using red sea's and API's nitrate test kits. I'm just going to monitor the next few weeks closely and I imagine I should absolutely see some reductions. I forgot to mention I switched to feeding to once a day and not a heavy amount either.  The eel has been on a hunger strike for 2 weeks other then a couple small pieces of shrimp so he hasn't been getting food really either. So over feeding shouldn't be an issue. 

2 hours ago, Kdsd731 said:

I used 2 local shops on those water changes.  One uses ocean water and the other,  my usual shop uses 7 stage RODI water and mixes it themselves. Both waters tested perfect using red sea's and API's nitrate test kits. I'm just going to monitor the next few weeks closely and I imagine I should absolutely see some reductions. I forgot to mention I switched to feeding to once a day and not a heavy amount either.  The eel has been on a hunger strike for 2 weeks other then a couple small pieces of shrimp so he hasn't been getting food really either. So over feeding shouldn't be an issue. 

Ocean water can have many pollutants in it as well as bacteria and parasites.

Nitrates and phos aren't enough, tds levels need to be checked. If it's high, it can be the culprit