inTank Media Baskets

Aqamai vs Tunze 6040 on IM 20 Nuvo

oneart

Hello! I'm looking for some advice regarding two wavemakers, the Aqamai and the Tunze 6040. I know they have very different features and feel a little bit like I'm comparing apples and oranges however, after a bit of research, this is where I've ended up. 

My main consideration regarding these two wavemakers is flow. From the videos I've watched and a couple of reviews,  the Aqamai's movement seems sort of weak (one person said it only moved water on 1/2 of the tank. I have a wall of rock with space worked in between the rocks and don't know if the Aqamai would move through it (or maybe I would need another powerhead for that and position the wavemaker elsewhere so that I got overall movement?  (see pic for rock work) On the other hand, I don't know if the Tunze 6040 might provide too much movement? One reviewer said that would only use it on a 30 gallon and up. While I want to provide natural movement for the corals and to relieve any dead spots, I'm not really looking for a sea of turbulence. 

Other than that,  I like the way the Aqamai has so many different setting options, including a night mode, although don't love not being able to easily shut if off for feeding. Also, in reviews, people have said it's not intuitive and I hope if I get it, I can figure it out. Regarding the Tunze,  I would only be able to set it on pulse mode since I think the wave mode would move too much water for my tank. 

What triggered my search for a wavemaker is that I have what looks like hairy green algae on some of my corals and I'm hoping a wavemaker will help.

To give you some background info, my corals are mostly softy frags. I do have a Reef Glass protein skimmer, but it stopped working (its a reef glass and only worked for 2 weeks. All I'm getting is large bubbles from the bottom, and can't seem to get past this - if anybody has any suggestions for this, I'd love them), so no current skimming. I do 10% water changes weekly, have 3 fish (a sixline wrasse, a royal gramma, and a clown), a very small sea serpent, some snails (inlcuding turbo), 3 hermit crabs and I just bought 2 small emerald crabs for the algae. My light is a AI, run for 10 hours a day, including ramp up. 

I'd appreciate any insights from experience using these wavemakers, and if anyone has any suggestions for my skimmer, I'd appreciate that too. Thanks!

DSC00455.JPG

Hey, heard good things about the aqamai - good price point and full control-ability. 

Before you invest in a wave controller, you may want to validate that the actual reason for the GHA is insufficient flow.

It could be various reasons - overfeeding, high tds water etc.

5 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

Hey, heard good things about the aqamai - good price point and full control-ability. 

Before you invest in a wave controller, you may want to validate that the actual reason for the GHA is insufficient flow.

It could be various reasons - overfeeding, high tds water etc.

Thanks! I appreciate it. I like the different kinds of movement the aqamai delivers.  Even if the GHA isn't due to flow, I'd like to get a wavemaker anyway since I've heard the corals appreciate it and respond. I may have been over feeding a little - a little too generous with the brine shrimp on days. I also have a tiny sea serpent I like to directly feed and it fills up on the brine shrimp when it eats. I'm being pretty stingy at the moment though, and reduced my light, and if needed, will up the water changes until I get this fully under control... Sorry for my ignorance, but what's tds?

I can see why would want a little flow. I’ll defer to people who actually have experience with the assets in question but most people are very happy with the aqamai.

Here’s a good link on TDS -

https://www.water-research.net/index.php/water-treatment/tools/total-dissolved-solids

Among other things, you will want to make sure this is not present or atleast very low when it comes to the water you put in the tank.

Very interesting! I use purchased steam distilled so I think I'm ok but will check it out. I also think I have some brown diatoms collecting on the sand too. Since the tank has been up and running for a little while now, I must have excessive nutrients, most likely my fault from overfeeding. I haven't done this in years and need to increase my knowledge. I appreciate the help. 🙂 

If anyone else is in the same position, here's what I decided to do. I'm going with a different skimmer altogether, the 

Reef Builder's Reef-Power RP-M https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/rp-26/

It resolves the concerns I had with the Aqamai and the Tunze 6040!

It's fully programmable like the Aqamai, but it's much stronger although it can be set as low as 5% power to

work well in a 20 gallon (as per their very responsive customer service). Since my last post

I read another thread where someone said you would need two Aqamai's for a 20 gallon, which would 

be twice as expensive of course. 

Also, while the Tunze 6040 is powerful, I was concerned it would be too powerful (still not sure about that though).

Unlike the Tunze though, the RP-M has a snail guard and a night mode. With the Tunze you need to buy a light sensor to attach. 

The customer service is at the least, very responsive. I wrote at night, at by morning they'd responded, then answered

a second email. I also read that they don't sell on Amazon or Ebay because they

want to have better control over the customer service. So, while I'm a bit of a guinea pig, I have a good feeling about it. 

In case anyone is looking for a wavemaker and reads this in the future. I went ahead and purchased the RPM. It's a beautiful compact wavemaker with many cool features and programs. However, imo it's too powerful for the IM 20 gallon, unless you like A LOT of flow. I just repacked it and am hoping to return it. 😞

I thought the Aqamai would be too weak, based on one review and a video I watched, but I'm a little freaked out by powerful wavemakers at the moment and think weak might be better. 🙂

On 2/27/2019 at 8:49 PM, Redsea71 said:

I like Tunze

Thanks Redsea71.  I already bought the Aqamai (first one from Amazon missing the power cord so waiting for another from Foster & Smith) but the Tunze will be next on my list if that doesn't work well, but maybe down the road a little since I'd really like to get up and running with something now and biggest concern with the Aqamai, other than actually setting it up, is low flow for a 20 gallon (IM20 Nuvo). What size tank do you have and what level of flow do you get? Does it flatten any of your corals? 

A Little Blue
On 2/14/2019 at 6:19 PM, oneart said:

I read another thread where someone said you would need two Aqamai's for a 20 gallon, which would 

be twice as expensive of course. 

Depends on corals (One KPS might be ok for softies and some LPS), setup, substrate, scape etc. But I would use at least 2 in 20 gallon tank. I’m big proponent of a lot of flow throughout the tank from verious sources. So take that for what it is worth. I have 3 KPS pumps so I’m kinda familiar with what they can do. Very nice, small, highly controllable pumps tho. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef

Better stick with Aqamai if you prefer gentler flows. I owned both, and can tell you 6040 is way more powerful coming out of the flow deflecter. It can throw flow across my 36” long tank, while I couldn’t get aqamai to do the same. 

• Like 1

Thanks Little Blue and micoastreefing. This will be a learning experience.

2 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Depends on corals (One KPS might be ok for softies and some LPS), setup, substrate, scape etc. But I would use at least 2 in 20 gallon tank. I’m big proponent of a lot of flow throughout the tank from verious sources. So take that for what it is worth. I have 3 KPS pumps so I’m kinda familiar with what they can do. Very nice, small, highly controllable pumps tho. 

I think I do prefer a gentler flow (don't want to stress the corals) but was also trying to avoid 2 wavemakers (KPS) due to cost, but I may end up there. I forgot to mention that I also have a Tunze powerhead with the flow directed into the base of my live rock. I thought maybe I could get away with one wavemaker with this? I'm no expert by far, but after my recent bout with GHA, I realize the importance of good flow.

I'm also proud to say I kicked that hair algae out before I even got my wavemaker! I'm feeding a little less and reduced the amount of light on the tank from 12 hours to 7 (My light is AI). And the two emerald crabs I added my be helping too. 🙂

• Like 1

Alternatively, you you do an Akamai as your main water flow or waves and then a small Hydor 240 for potential extra flow, where needed, should there be any dead spots.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

Alternatively, you you do an Akamai as your main water flow or waves and then a small Hydor 240 for potential extra flow, where needed, should there be any dead spots.

Thanks Daniel91. That's a great idea! Marine Depot has the Hydor 240 for $32.00. The Tunze I have, my KPS (which just arrived in the mail!) and another pump like the Hydor sounds like it will do the job! Thanks! 

On 3/2/2019 at 1:17 PM, A Little Blue said:

Hi A Little Blue, I'm wondering if you know any tricks with the KPS? I have the pump up and running on the factory preset (smooth flo I think) but find the app to be beyond frustrating. I've spent hours playing around with this already. I have an iphone so I thought it would be easy.

I did manage to get in to the screen that says manage, settings, notification, etc. but can't find the screen that gives you the option for the different flow settings (random, night etc). However, while I never found those screens (maybe because the tutorial covered them?) when I clicked off the tutorial, the screen is now in an endless spin that says update download - crazy since I just downloaded it (for the 4th time). I've also tried clicking off "auto-turn on" for my regular wi-fi in case it was interfering and nothing but frustration. Anyway, just wondering if you knew a trick? At the moment, I can't get it off the update spin and it never updates. I feel that Hydor shouldn't even be selling this with such a lousy app. I don't want to have to return it since I like the strength of the constant flow -- just want more than another powerhead to make the corals happy!  

A Little Blue
1 hour ago, oneart said:

Hi A Little Blue, I'm wondering if you know any tricks with the KPS? I have the pump up and running on the factory preset (smooth flo I think) but find the app to be beyond frustrating. I've spent hours playing around with this already. I have an iphone so I thought it would be easy.

I did manage to get in to the screen that says manage, settings, notification, etc. but can't find the screen that gives you the option for the different flow settings (random, night etc). However, while I never found those screens (maybe because the tutorial covered them?) when I clicked off the tutorial, the screen is now in an endless spin that says update download - crazy since I just downloaded it (for the 4th time). I've also tried clicking off "auto-turn on" for my regular wi-fi in case it was interfering and nothing but frustration. Anyway, just wondering if you knew a trick? At the moment, I can't get it off the update spin and it never updates. I feel that Hydor shouldn't even be selling this with such a lousy app. I don't want to have to return it since I like the strength of the constant flow -- just want more than another powerhead to make the corals happy!  

I’m on vaca with really crappy internet but I found this archived video from a while back. Setting are for two different pumps. Not sure if those setting will help you out as all tanks are different. 

20 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I’m on vaca with really crappy internet but I found this archived video from a while back. Setting are for two different pumps. Not sure if those setting will help you out as all tanks are different. 

Thanks A Little Blue! I appreciate your help, especially considering your on vacation! That video will be a great refresher! I just got off the phone with Brian at Aqamai customer service and for now, I'm up and running! It wasn't working right on my iphone 7 since I probably had to update it and couldn't right then due to not enough memory so I had to run it from my husband's iphone. I don't look forward to doing it all again on my phone, but for now, I'm good. 

For anyone who needs it, the customer service number is 866-493-6787 and I spoke with Brian who is the expert and very patient. He spent about an hour on the phone with me. He even said I probably would not have been able to figure out the many steps on my own since the program isn't thorough at the moment. I had to clear everything by signing out of the network completely (by hitting Forget this Network), and by clearing the factoring settings on the device itself by unplugging the the pump and I also might have had to hold the  button on the bottom of the device itself but can't remember anymore.  In the end, I chose the SPS 100l preset so that I'd have more random flow. It doesn't seem too strong but if I dare, I might try my own set at some point, maybe when I switch it over to my own phone! 

• 1 year later...

Hey @oneart! I’m in the same boat as you.. I have the Nuvo 20 Long (~26” display) and originally I got the icecap 1k gyre but that was definitely too strong for the tank. 

Im debating between the tunze and the kps. Did you end up enjoying the kps or did you end up getting more than one or the tunze?

I have the Innovative marine wavelink (desktop version) and love it!! Good price, powerful (mine is at the lowest speed; I only have soft corals in my tank so with the return pump it's enough flow). It's easy to use. If you're looking for other options.