ReefCleaners.org

Convincing the Wife...

Tabills

4 hours ago, Tabills said:

Has anyone noticed if the IM Fusion 10 or 20 ever goes on sale? I am leaning towards the 10 because I can setup a QT with it for less than the Initial setup of the 20.

It is MAP pricing that makes it so they can't go on sale often. This helps keep LFS in business since big online retailers can't just undercut. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tabills said:

Seems like its not worth waiting for a sale on the im 10. I will probably end up putting a clown and a goby/shrimp combo in the tank eventually. 

Go for the 20 if you have the space / money. That will hold off the urge to upgrade while you're cycling. lol

BTW, welcome to N-R! If you still have problems with your wife, and if she can be bribed easily, just get her a comparatively priced piece of jewellery, the same day you pick up your tank. Gift for her, gift (tank) for you. She can't say anything. Also, don't talk about fish stuff to her 24/7. She will tire of it, and even get jealous. Come to N-R for your fix. Do stuff with her that she likes, that is not fish related. Anyway, that's my experience. Good luck!

I got her a nice valentines gift. 😁 So that will help a quite a bit. I will start stockpiling stuff that can work for either a 10 or 20. If I go with a 20 I might hold off on a QT setup for a while.

On 2/13/2019 at 4:13 PM, Tabills said:

I got her a nice valentines gift. 😁 So that will help a quite a bit. I will start stockpiling stuff that can work for either a 10 or 20. If I go with a 20 I might hold off on a QT setup for a while.

Good idea! Also, your first fish may not need QT, since there's nothing to infect in the tank. That's how I look at it. :) 

On 2/12/2019 at 10:13 PM, Tamberav said:

It is MAP pricing that makes it so they can't go on sale often. This helps keep LFS in business since big online retailers can't just undercut. 

I kinda disagree with that....it’s the thought behind it but the big online retailer is not paying the same wholesale price as the LFS  or small business...so the whole premis behind MAP pricing is flawed. Very few LFS in my area even carry MAP dry goods anymore. Inventory cost is high and the profit margin is slim. Price fixing stifles competition and in the end the giant retailer is gonna win anyway...it’s the American way 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Sancho said:

I kinda disagree with that....it’s the thought behind it but the big online retailer is not paying the same wholesale price as the LFS  or small business...so the whole premis behind MAP pricing is flawed. Very few LFS in my area even carry MAP dry goods anymore. Inventory cost is high and the profit margin is slim. Price fixing stifles competition and in the end the giant retailer is gonna win anyway...it’s the American way 🤷‍♂️

Ya you're probably right but I thought that was the idea behind it. I can go buy a MP10 today at my LFS for the same price as online. The main on here carries most everything... ofc...I don't have to drive to the store, I can just have it show up at my door if I buy it online. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Jesterrace said:

I would disagree that the first fish doesn't need QT given the fact that certain strains of ich can survive for months in a fishless tank.  

Really? I thought they are all the same, but I've never encountered it, so I'm not speaking from experience. In any case, in a perfect world we would QT everything. I guess it depends on how much patience you have, and if the tank cycles while you QT, it would not be as painful. 

On 2/15/2019 at 12:00 PM, Orangutran said:

Really? I thought they are all the same, but I've never encountered it, so I'm not speaking from experience. In any case, in a perfect world we would QT everything. I guess it depends on how much patience you have, and if the tank cycles while you QT, it would not be as painful. 

Ich needs 8 weeks minimum fallow. Prevention by qt is the best method.

Qt of the first fish is as important as any other addition because if the first has anything, it will need removal for treatment, the tank would then need to go fallow for 8 weeks.

If you add 1 fish and it has bacterial/parasite issues but no symptoms are present and you add another fish, then you have 2 fish to hospitalize and treat if the first fish then presents symptoms

You can avoid all the headaches by qt'ing the first fish for 4 weeks and any other additional fish