Pod Your Reef

IF IT ain’t broke don’t fix it?

Biocubelife

So I have a bio cube 14. I’ve been keeping up on water changes. Swapping out the filter floss four days before a water change. And everything is great. Water params are at all the right levels. I even got some coralline algae finally growing. BUTTT I haven’t changed the chemipure elite bag or the carbon bag in months. Should I swap them out or let it be?

497DAE2E-98D6-4488-9F82-21061ABEC37A.thumb.jpeg.083e093baeea1a0d0833f2adfa11c67f.jpeg3C019905-2E4A-47DF-B30A-85EE8D09D915.thumb.jpeg.0d64dd0254197e64cb957258dae666df.jpeg

C210AD73-3004-4E4A-B347-0FB66F2D8443.jpeg

EEC44635-0CF9-4786-BC67-1359A4C23893.jpeg

After months it probably isn't doing much. I would replace - but you don't need a separate carbon in addition to the Chemipure, as Chemipure includes carbon. 

Love your clown in the frogspawn!

• Like 1

You might consider removing it, versus replacing it.  Like Newstead stated, it is more than likely exhausted.

So maybe just run carbon.  It's cheaper, and does much of the same things.  However, unlike CPE, activated carbon doesn't contain GFO, which will bind some phosphate and alkalinity.  Your tank may be reacting positively to greater stability of both.

Keep an eye on your phosphate and algae levels.  You might have to make an adjustment to compensate for more algae growth.

• Like 2
On 2/8/2019 at 4:31 AM, seabass said:

You might consider removing it, versus replacing it.  Like Newstead stated, it is more than likely exhausted.

So maybe just run carbon.  It's cheaper, and does much of the same things.  However, unlike CPE, activated carbon doesn't contain GFO, which will bind some phosphate and alkalinity.  Your tank may be reacting positively to greater stability of both.

Keep an eye on your phosphate and algae levels.  You might have to make an adjustment to compensate for more algae growth.

Can you elaborate on the GFO term and binding phosphate alk. What is the benefit of leaving them in there? 

Ps I’m seeing coralline algae growth for the first time since I started this tank a year plus ago

michaelbarfield

Honestly I would just run the chemipure stuff. Like was stated it contains GFO. RInse it with water changes and replace as stated on the label. No need for carbon too...

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Biocubelife said:

Can you elaborate on the GFO term and binding phosphate alk. What is the benefit of leaving them in there? 

ChemiPure Elite contains some granular ferric oxide (GFO) to help reduce phosphate by binding it to the media.  But unfortunately, GFO also binds alkalinity, causing levels to drop.  This loss has to be made up with additional water changes and/or dosing.  With the media being exhausted, your alkalinity levels might actually be more stable.

There really isn't a benefit to leaving exhausted media in your tank.  Although, there might be a benefit to not introducing new media.  It's probably already covered with nitrifying bacteria and acting as a biofilter (additional bio-media is usually not required in tanks that contain live rock).

Some phosphate is actually beneficial.  It's only when it gets too high that we see excessive algae growth.  If phosphate is too low, coral health can be negatively impacted.

15 hours ago, Biocubelife said:

So I took out the chemi pure and just replaced my carbon bag. Is that correct...

Yeah, that's what I'd do.  If you have any new ChemiPure, I'd still be tempted to use it up (because of how much it costs), but I probably wouldn't buy more.

There is no one correct way.  Some people swear by ChemiPure.  And every tank is different (and constantly changing).  You need to find what works best for your system, and be ready and willing to change it if the need arises.

• Like 3

I prefer to think of Chemipure as a solution in search of a problem, and given its cost....well. I just dont like using these things unless I'm trying to solve something specifically. I'd rather stop the problem than keep using expensive chemical filter media, but that's just me.

This is a pretty low demand tank and I'm not seeing anything that's going to be sensitive to what Chemipure removes beyond A/C. LPS isnt that fussy and with water changes in a low bio load tank you shouldn't be having phosphate or other dissolved chemical issues. Good A/C and water husbandry works for me, but if you want to keep using it by all means do so.

• Like 1

I personally prefer using a good carbon and purigen. 

I stopped using phos reducers regularly and things have improved since I stopped. 

Good husbandry goes a long way. 

Everyone has their preferences on media, the use of it should be for a need, so it will be dependent on the system.

Update:

i removed the old chemical pure bag and put a new carbon bag in the media basket. Did a water change two days ago. Tested the water out today, here are the results:

calcium 380 mg/l

7 drops do kh 7dkh

Ammonia 0

Nitrite .5ppm

Nitrate 10-20ppm

Phosphate .25

Nitrate 0

looks like there is some nitrite, nitrate and some phosphate present. I noticed a small crab died, could it be that?

also I saw a decrease in calcium and kh. 

Any ideas here?

i have a new chemipure still sealed. A just in case jar. I put some prime in the tank to hopefully help with the spikes. 

I might increase frequency and/or volume of water changes.  That should help a little with replenishing elements, as well as exporting nutrients.

Phosphate levels are approaching 10 times above some people's target.  Have you been increasing your feedings?

7 hours ago, Biocubelife said:

I noticed a small crab died, could it be that?

It's possible that a death has caused a spike in nitrite.  Normally you can't detect nitrite, but it's really not that dangerous at marine pH levels.