inTank Media Baskets

A Wyoming IM Fusion 10

habruce11

I wanted to start a build thread for my IM Fusion 10.  The tank was setup on January 5, 2019.  This is my first reef tank, so I want to keep things relatively simple.  I'm looking to keep soft corals only, and just sticking with the two clownfish.

Tank: IM Fusion 10

Lighting: Wave Point Blade (will probably upgrade to Kessil A80 in the next few months)

Heater: Eheim Jager 50W

Filtration: CustomCaddy with filter floss, Chemipure Blue, and Purigen

Circulation: Spin Stream

ATO: Tunze Nano

Rocks: 6 lbs of AquaMaxx and 1 lbs of RealReef

Sand: 5 lbs of CaribSea Ocean Direct

Livestock: 2 Ocellaris (Pedro and Queen Elizabeth)

I cycled with the lights off, so I have yet to add a CUC — fish went in Saturday, February 2.  I'm looking for suggestions on the CUC.  I like the idea of keeping it light in an effort to improve the survival of inverts.

FTS_2.2.19.JPG

Clowns_2.2.19.JPG

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @habruce11! 👋

The IM Fusion 10 is a great system for your nano reef, it looks like you're off to an ideal beginning. In researching your clean up crew, check out the articles and invert listings at our community sponsor Reef Cleaners, there's lots of good advice and info on different snail and crab types. Have you seen any signs of brown diatom algae in your reef tank yet? That's usually the first one to appear in new aquariums, and it usually runs its course over a few weeks. If your tank has any signs of diatoms or other algae, you're ready for a cleanup crew.

My reef is only 2 gallons, but I also want a minimal cleanup crew. I decided to go without any crabs in my cleanup crew, just snails only. You might be interested in nassarius snails in particular, they don't eat algae, just detritus and leftover food, and they also are good at stirring sand beds as they wander. I wanted to avoid any troubles or disruptions to coral that crabs can sometimes cause, hermit crabs in particular. Plus I won't have to worry about hermits attacking my snails for their shells. I'll combine a nassarius with some dwarf cerith snails to clean the glass and rocks, a pretty minimal crew. You have a lot more area in your nano reef though, it gives you more options. A mix of snails isn't a bad starting point though, you can always add crabs later. Once you learn a little about each kind, it's easier to choose what's right for your particular reef plans.

• Like 1

Love my Nano 10... welcome!  The Kessil A80 will serve you well for that tank.  I will state this (from experience) just know 10 gallons isn't a lot of water, if a fish dies and you don't catch it quick it's going to cause havoc.  I lost my whole tank (all my corals) because of a death and when I started over I went with no fish.  Plenty of people keep fish with corals in this size though.. I have done my duty here though preaching the good word... 🙂 

Enjoy it... great community here... ask questions...

As for CUC, I have hermits and 3 different types of snails.  I second the Nassarius, great at cleaning the sand.  

• Like 2

@Mark L. I read about your disaster — sounds brutal!  I know there are some inherent risks with this sort of stocking in a 10 gallon (more like 7 gallons of water), but I'm crossing my fingers.  I really like the dimensions of 40 breeders, so I have an inkling there might be an upgrade in my future... 

• Like 1

Welcome! Here’s my IM10, which is pretty much your setup.

C0E00737-59A1-4D03-82D4-A3B3F9DE37BB.thumb.jpeg.136ff6fb3471a980ee9365928d3114dc.jpeg

It’s a mixed reef with focus on LPS (at the moment)

In regards to CUC - start lightly and add as needed. Quality over quantity. You would be surprised but 3 nassarious snails, two nerites and one trochus has been able to keep this baby clean - even through a horrible diatom bloom and ongoing high nutrient levels.

I just added a conch, which I will rehouse in a few months.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, habruce11 said:

@Mark L. I read about your disaster — sounds brutal!  I know there are some inherent risks with this sort of stocking in a 10 gallon (more like 7 gallons of water), but I'm crossing my fingers.  I really like the dimensions of 40 breeders, so I have an inkling there might be an upgrade in my future... 

Yeah you'll upgrade 🙂 . I have 20 gallon drop off aquarium as well... 1 just isnt enough...