Pod Your Reef

sps and pc's

clowntank10

if you want amazing...email anthony calfo and ask him what his 'best sps tank' was. he'll tell you that it was a 55 gallon lit by 6 no bulbs...he spoke at my club last week and the colors he had in the pics of that tank were freaking astounding. he said that he bought the white bulbs from his local hardware store and that he had the most fantastic growth from his coral in this tank.

Its all about placement. If you've got PC's, just make sure to compensate by placing the lighting really close to the sps, and the corals really close to the surface. Bake em. I bought mine from a tank where they were under MH, but they were also placed on the bottom of a larger tank. A month after i brought them home and placed my montipora/ tricolor acropora under my 96w 50/50 PC'c, the coloring only intensified. Go figure

Originally posted by VicSkimmr

amen. when it comes down to it, a lot of factors come into play. having a better light (metal halides) will give you a cushion if anything else goes wrong (water parameters, not enough flow, etc), but it CAN be done with just PC's, just usually not by beginners.

Thats what ive been saying from the beginning!....If you dont know why we had a "reef" argument if you just reiterated my first statements...then you wonder why im the big bad wolf.

Originally posted by VicSkimmr

DRZL-sauras, you seem to be awfully quick to correct everybody elses statements, and belittle other people who you apparently feel are below you. i've never seen your tank, but it must be the holy grail of nano tanks if it comes anywhere close to matching your ego. that's all i'm saying, i'm done even trying to have a discussion with you, it's simply not possible.

I am not trying to be condescending, I just know that when i was a n00b-in around these and other boards I ran into alot of good info but also alot unfounded info..I thought it easier to surf through the entertaining threads instead of picking up a book or reading a lenghty article regarding saltwater reefs. That in turn led me to stupid mistakes I couldve avoided...I am still learning as much as anyone...Just when I see some of the same preconceptions that i held to be true correctly discredited. I want to speak up and say hey look.....

My mini tank is looking nice but i am just resetting up w/ an upgrade....if you want to seee that i am no hot shot.....go check out my thread in the members nano reefs...theres some ideas i find to be good ones but i am open to any criticism...

I will pull out my PAR meter and run some figures for all. Don't hold your breath though... I am busy as of late.

Needless to say there are other factors, as others have pointed out, in light selection. Another to consider, aside from intensity, spectrum, and heat, is space considerations. If you have a small nano, and no room for a large light over it, there are other viable options.

It all depends on the height of your tank. Metal Halides could easily burn many corals with a depth of under 20in. I say that the lighting that you have is suffiecient because i have that same lighting and i am having great success with growing acros as well as a variety of soft corals.

Birdman

Sounds good, Where'd you get you PAR meter?!

Regalflush

Height is relevant but to a degree only. Bulbs can pump out only a certain amount of lumens and PAR and thats it...doesnt matter how close you put them to a certain bulb it wouldnt put the same amount of light energy as a stronger bulb. Crazy but true

I had 2x65 on my 29 and had great luck with green monti,orange monti,orange cap.,purple cap,green slimer and some other acropora sp..the colors on the orange and green were great but purple's tend to brown out IME.

that was my first try at any fish tank,IMO if your a newbie worry about getting your water parameters rock solid then try some hardy sps...

Dr. Saltwater
Originally posted by RegalFlush17

It all depends on the height of your tank. Metal Halides could easily burn many corals with a depth of under 20in. I say that the lighting that you have is suffiecient because i have that same lighting and i am having great success with growing acros as well as a variety of soft corals.

I doubt it ... you can place the MH higher if needed ...

The rest of the story sounds good to me :)

DRZL

www.apogeeinstruments.com

And the par information, it is on my list of things to do this weekend.

It's really helpful for comparing lighting schemes. I am planning a greenhouse propagation setup, and getting info on the strength of the sun at certain times of the day. For example, on a partly cloudy day, at about 1 PM, the Par readings outside in full exposure(no shade) at 4 feet off the ground, are about equal to the par readings of a 250WDE 20K MH from 6 inches away. As you go further the PAR reading decreases. I will get differences in the 70 W MHinfo, 18 , 32 , and 65 W PC INFO as well as an 18W T-5 bulb.

This is all of course disregarding spectral analysis. That equipment can run into the thousands, and I'm not that into the hobby yet ;)

Originally posted by Dr. Saltwater

I doubt it ... you can place the MH higher if needed ...  

The rest of the story sounds good to me :)

Yes, the par readings on a MH lamp are reduced, almost exponentially with distance. The farther up you go, the more likely the corals will handle it, then again, who wants a tank with a 24 inch tophat for a canopy :P

Dr. Saltwater
Originally posted by birdman204

Yes,  the par readings on a MH lamp are reduced, almost exponentially with distance.  The farther up you go,  the more likely the corals will handle it,  then again, who wants a tank with a 24 inch tophat for a canopy :P

I didn't say that ....

Place the MH high in the biginnings ... place it a little lower every week till it reached normal hight. Still it would be higher than normal I guess ... :)

Archived