ReefCleaners.org

Biocube

WhiteVelvetStarfish

WhiteVelvetStarfish
8 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Nice start!! Curious why dont you have the heater in chamber 1 instead of in the display??🤔

Because I'm a tool that hasn't thought of that and will be doing it when I get home 😂

Does it fit well in chamber one even with the biocube filter cartridge?

• Haha 4
6 minutes ago, dasoxx said:

Because I'm a tool that hasn't thought of that and will be doing it when I get home 😂

Does it fit well in chamber one even with the biocube filter cartridge?

You know I dunno I have a 32 gallon version that has 3 chambers and the filter stuff is in the middle chamber.. i would imagine that it would though. I haven't ever seen anyone with a biocube have to have the heater in the display😂

WhiteVelvetStarfish
2 minutes ago, Weikel said:

You know I dunno I have a 32 gallon version that has 3 chambers and the filter stuff is in the middle chamber.. i would imagine that it would though. I haven't ever seen anyone with a biocube have to have the heater in the display😂

The way the 16g works is there are 3 chambers.  The first chamber has the filter cartridge, the middle has 3 tiers to it that I'm using for floss and chemi-pure and the 3rd is for the pump (which obviously is usually too low to properly house the heater.  I'll see if I can fit the heater in the first one and if I can't, I may get a smaller heater.  This one is overkill anyway.

16 minutes ago, dasoxx said:

The way the 16g works is there are 3 chambers.  The first chamber has the filter cartridge, the middle has 3 tiers to it that I'm using for floss and chemi-pure and the 3rd is for the pump (which obviously is usually too low to properly house the heater.  I'll see if I can fit the heater in the first one and if I can't, I may get a smaller heater.  This one is overkill anyway.

Hmmm.. I would have to see it .  I think what your saying is that in chamber one the 16 has that stock fikter pad that has build in carbon and what not and chamber 2 has the tray?? the way you have the tray setup with floss on top why not toss that stock filter pad deal, then chamber 1 would be free for the heater ??? Oh and I think I have read something about a false bottom on the 16gal in chamber 1.  people remove so they can fit a longer heater... does your chamber one not go all the way to the bottom of the tank??

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, dasoxx said:

If you are running filter floss and Chemipure in the second chamber then you wouldn't need the stock filter pad. 

The false bottom in the first chamber can be removed by hooking something through the vents in it and pulling straight up.

That's a nice looking hammer.  I look forward to watching the tank progress. 

• Like 2
WhiteVelvetStarfish
19 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Hmmm.. I would have to see it .  I think what your saying is that in chamber one the 16 has that stock fikter pad that has build in carbon and what not and chamber 2 has the tray?? the way you have the tray setup with floss on top why not toss that stock filter pad deal, then chamber 1 would be free for the heater ??? Oh and I think I have read something about a false bottom on the 16gal in chamber 1.  people remove so they can fit a longer heater... does your chamber one not go all the way to the bottom of the tank??

My chamber one does go all the way to the bottom of the tank.  I stole a pic from the site that may help with the understanding on this one.

The first chamber goes all the way down (as far as I can tell) but it's covered in this pic so it's hard to see.  The carbon stock filter cartridge goes in there and it's long, so I wouldn't be able to put that in chamber two (separated by the tray setup) without completely removing the tray.  I'm going to have to play around with the options as there may be space to fit the heater in chamber one right next to the filter cartridge, but I don't know how safe that is.  Do most people keep the carbon filter cartridges in these tanks?

2019-01-15_16-09-13.jpg

• Like 1

Hey George,

I ditched the carbon filter and manually add filter floss and filter media (chemipure blue or elite). As Jackal mentioned, the 1st chamber (the one that is covered) should have a false bottom. It is maybe about 4 inches from the bottom of the tank. I removed mine as well and was easily able to fit the cobalt neotherm in there. Looks like your current heater may fit in there as well if you remove the bottom.

I do recommend putting the heater in chamber 1, as unlike chamber 2/3 it is directly connected to the display tank water. Also, it is the least likely chamber to run dry.

I like the rock work and the hammer!

Good luck!

• Like 1
WhiteVelvetStarfish
23 minutes ago, MSunkin23 said:

Hey George,

I ditched the carbon filter and manually add filter floss and filter media (chemipure blue or elite). As Jackal mentioned, the 1st chamber (the one that is covered) should have a false bottom. It is maybe about 4 inches from the bottom of the tank. I removed mine as well and was easily able to fit the cobalt neotherm in there. Looks like your current heater may fit in there as well if you remove the bottom.

I do recommend putting the heater in chamber 1, as unlike chamber 2/3 it is directly connected to the display tank water. Also, it is the least likely chamber to run dry.

I like the rock work and the hammer!

Good luck!

Thanks so much!  I'm going to try that as soon as I get home!  Glad to know I don't need that filter and I can finally get that heater out of sight.  The rock work was a lot of fun and there is actually a natural cave formed by one of the rocks on the left side of the tank.  I'll need to get a side view to show it, but it's great.  As for the hammer, my LFS has an amazing selection and he's go so many great deals.  That hammer is actually two tone and the green on the front looks amazing in the night setting light.  The purple is on the other side and a little out of sight in this pic.

Alriiight another Biocube 16!!! Tank looks great so far, and I love your fish! I have a 50 watt Cobalt Neotherm heater in my third chamber, and have the skimmer in the first chamber.

You may see people mentioning removing the tab between the first and second chamber and I don’t recommend doing that because the skimmer hooks over that tab, so you may want the tab later on. But I agree that skipping the stock carbon filters, removing the false floor in chamber one, and putting your heater in chamber one for now is a good idea. (Just may need to reconfigure down the road if you end up needing a skimmer.)

Looking forward to following along!

One other thing I noticed is it looks like you don’t have either the return or wavemaker aimed towards the surface.. how is your surface agitation? I found that my cube would get a little oily build up on the water surface without the return aimed upwards.. also with the tight fitting lid I just felt better having a ton of surface agitation to help aid in gas exchange...  ok I will stoping bugging ya now.. Lol carry on and happy reefing!

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Weikel said:

One other thing I noticed is it looks like you don’t have either the return or wavemaker aimed towards the surface.. how is your surface agitation? I found that my cube would get a little oily build up on the water surface without the return aimed upwards.. also with the tight fitting lid I just felt better having a ton of surface agitation to help aid in gas exchange...  ok I will stoping bugging ya now.. Lol carry on and happy reefing!

@Weikel you’re funny! 😂 But I agree, I find the same thing with my Biocube... I have both the return and powerhead aimed toward the surface. 

• Like 1
WhiteVelvetStarfish
5 hours ago, banasophia said:

@Weikel you’re funny! 😂 But I agree, I find the same thing with my Biocube... I have both the return and powerhead aimed toward the surface. 

I hadn’t thought of that, I’ll try pointing one of them up to break the surface. I have been trying to figure out the flow in this tank, so I’m trying all kinds of things. Haven’t seen any gathering on the surface yet. 

WhiteVelvetStarfish

So I was able to pull out the bottom of the first chamber and put my heater back there. I may have unplugged it partially (I just now noticed when adjusting the flow of the tank).  I plugged it back in all the way, but my temp dropped to 75. Not dangerous by any means, but I’m just curious if anyone’s heater has seen issues when trying to maintain water temp from chamber 1. 

• Like 1

Hi Dasoxx,

I keep my heater in chamber 1. Heat is pretty uniform within a liquid system. I think the back pump is around ~150gph, so figure that is over 2 gallons a minute going through there. As long as your pump is pumping the heater should be representative of your tanks system (especially because chamber 1 is directly part of the display tank.

Where is your temperature sensor? - If your temp sensor is in chamber 3 there "could" be stagnant water located above the pump which could give a false reading. Thats where mine is and sometimes I mess with my wires and the temperature sensor comes up near the top of chamber 3 water showing an inaccurate reading. I just push it down further and the reading is more accurate.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1
WhiteVelvetStarfish
2 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

Hi Dasoxx,

I keep my heater in chamber 1. Heat is pretty uniform within a liquid system. I think the back pump is around ~150gph, so figure that is over 2 gallons a minute going through there. As long as your pump is pumping the heater should be representative of your tanks system (especially because chamber 1 is directly part of the display tank.

Where is your temperature sensor? - If your temp sensor is in chamber 3 there "could" be stagnant water located above the pump which could give a false reading. Thats where mine is and sometimes I mess with my wires and the temperature sensor comes up near the top of chamber 3 water showing an inaccurate reading. I just push it down further and the reading is more accurate.

Hope this helps!

I actually use an infrared thermometer gun so I can grab temps from all over the tank, etc.

• Like 1

Wow, cool. Are you pointing it at the glass or at the water through the top?

Reason I ask is that if you point it at the glass, you may pick up the temperature of the glass and not the real temperature of the water.

M

• WhiteVelvetStarfish changed the title to Biocube