Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lucas's Innovative marine Nuvo Fusion 20 Build

Lucasalc46

Hey guys! I finally decided to switch to saltwater from freshwater and I'm excited for the new challenge. I'm hoping to eventually get some acros into this tank maybe 6 months to a year down the line, but for now, i'll stick to lps and softies. I started off with 5 lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of dry, due to the fact that most the live rock they had was too large. I also put in 20 lbs of live sand. 

Equipment: 

1x Jebao RW-4

1x AI Prime HD

1x 100 watt heater

Media: 

purigen in one sock

cut up foam in other one with bits of seachem matrix mixed in

Tank hasn't settled yet but thinking of adding some rubble around the point of the mountain on the right side

Excited for the journey,

Lucas

IMG_7869.thumb.JPG.6dde6ee19189e7b617f1214f0d92d8de.JPG

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @Lucasalc46! Congratulations on starting your first nano reef aquarium, it's a lot of fun! You're off to a great beginning. I wouldn't worry about adding rubble at this point, it's easy to forget that some of the coral you add with come attached to rubble rock already, it's actually good to leave some gaps in your early aquascape to accommodate those future additions. You'll be amazed with the life that comes out during the early cycle process, especially after the first week. 

What else are you hoping to keep in your first reef aquarium as it progresses?

Update

I have switched my heater due to the fact that the other one began to rise 3 degrees over the temp I set it at after a week of constant temperature. Also, Ive added a clownfish and 3 trochus snails and 1 pepermint shrimp. I think I may have put the clownfish in  a little too early but after two days it seems healthy, swimming up and down glass and occacionally crossing sides of tank. I fed it Mysis shrimp that were frozen and it only took 2 or 3 full ones and ignored the rest. Should I be worried? The cycle was complete before I added clown, and it seemed like a fast cycle, because it only took one week.

Also, my evaporation seems to be occuring at a high rate, but im not sure if its just normal. I add a cup full(not sure the amount but its a the regular size that you would get from a chikfila or mcdonalds) and that seems to be gone in less than 24 hrs. Is this Normal? I only have mesh cover on tank.

4 hours ago, Lucasalc46 said:

Also, my evaporation seems to be occuring at a high rate, but im not sure if its just normal. I add a cup full(not sure the amount but its a the regular size that you would get from a chikfila or mcdonalds) and that seems to be gone in less than 24 hrs. Is this Normal? I only have mesh cover on tank.

Yep normal. Open top tanks like this evap a ton of water.. a good ato is a great investment! Saves the trouble of adding water manually every day. And will allow you to go on vacation and not have to worry about having someone top off the tank everyday 😉

Did some tests and on reef

Alk:9.6

Calcium:490

Salinity: 1.024

How do you guys recommend I lower calcium? I don't have any corals yet so I can't remove calcium that way.