Pod Your Reef

NanoRox PicoRox Pair - First Impressions

shaner014

Full disclosure first. I won the naming contest for the Hotel Palythoa, which earned me a free initial production of one! I decided to sweeten my order by adding a pair of PicoRox to it, which I paid full retail for. The pictures here are of the pair I received, not stock photos.

Ok, Pics:

Allie5x7-7.thumb.jpg.6708ccac550cc50b25ddd8559b1e682f.jpg

Allie5x7-4.thumb.jpg.02f2954b6c1dfec35b6b9085385a99af.jpg

Allie5x7-6.thumb.jpg.03e061a0fe78b1cfd1940643246142a2.jpg

These things are really cool. I had been thinking of a way to attach some leftover rock to my back wall, but hadn't finalized anything. In that research I stumbled across the NanoRox and thought "hmm, very neat, but I'm sure they will be crazy expensive and they have no track record." So I never even clicked on the retail site, and moved on. Then the naming contest popped up for the zoa garden, and when I had a chance at winning, I started to look at these PicoRox again. Price was actually really reasonable, even with shipping. $38 shipped, for the pair. 

Sorry I didn't get packaging pictures, but they are encased in heat shrink with a @NanoRox business card stapled to the package. Simple and functional. No instructions, as they are obviously self explanatory. One small magnet on the back, and another fully encased in the resin body of the rock itself. My pair included two small frag discs which fit into the holes on the Rox themselves, which was a nice touch and appreciated.

They are super light! Surprisingly so. This is good, as the magnets can withstand more coral weight as opposed to being "used up" supporting the Rox. The paint is a spot on blend with my CaribSea Life Rock. In the tank lighting, it is completely indiscernible from my aqua scape structure. 

As a business, Duane is super responsive, down to earth, and just like you or I, but with an exceptional talent for sculpting and painting! I think very soon the shipping times will start slipping on these as he will have such a backlog of work to do, so get in on it now!

In the coming days/weeks I'll have more time to go further on this review, but in the spirit of doing this right and not jumping to too many conclusions I'll stop there for now. I'll grab some pics of the back of the Rox, along with the magnets for the updates. 

One more thing, I will say, I am already eyeing the "Full Monti" as a frag rack as opposed to the ever popular single row acrylic versions. Personally I'd rather have zero frag racks, but we all know that is near impossible, at least at some points over our tanks life. Thank you so much Duane and @nanorox for bringing these to the community! I know that along with myself, many others will be extremely satisfied with this product!

TLDR Initial Takeway: Wow!

• Like 5

I got mine as a secret Santa gift and just put it in tonight.  

I concur!  It looks amazing and fits the frag disk perfect!

(Dont mind the algae and fact that I just turned the lights on for the picture )

20190111_220224.jpg

20190111_220131.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Shane I am really happy you like them.  They are a labor of love really so I take any and all feedback to heart.  

Happy Reefing!!

• Like 6
Christopher Marks
42 minutes ago, shaner014 said:

Got the Hotel Palythoa on Saturday! Will do a similar write up, but at first glance, @NanoRox Rocks Rock! 😂

9CB8B901-06D3-431D-B4D8-E27FF34F9EB8.thumb.jpeg.1429250701f8a34290bffa08d4a0850f.jpeg

These turned out so cool! It's awesome to see it go from concept to final product, what a great solution, bravo @NanoRox!

• Like 2

What glass thickness are the pico rox good for? Also, is the internal magnet presealed somehow, or just enclosed in  epoxy? Those look sweet! 

1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

What glass thickness are the pico rox good for? Also, is the internal magnet presealed somehow, or just enclosed in  epoxy? Those look sweet! 

The PicoRox will work on glass up to 12mm or up to most 45 gallon tanks (that's as far as I have tested anyway).  Due to size and the fact they only hold one frag they are intended to be in much smaller tanks.  

The internal magnet is encased within the resin plastic and then of course the entire thing is sealed in tarbender epoxy.  They are completely sealed from any water.    Great questions

• Like 3
Gourami Swami

Nice write up! I also bought a pair of them recently and am super happy with them as well. Quality is much better than any other "fake rock frag racks" I have seen. I'll get pics soon, need new frags to put on them.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, shaner014 said:

Got the Hotel Palythoa on Saturday! Will do a similar write up, but at first glance, @NanoRox Rocks Rock! 😂

9CB8B901-06D3-431D-B4D8-E27FF34F9EB8.thumb.jpeg.1429250701f8a34290bffa08d4a0850f.jpeg

Wow that's sick. Definitely going to get one. 

• Like 3
  • Recommended Discussions