Coral Vue Hydros

Old Equipment , New Tank? HelpPlease!!

ZeroEvoX

Hey All,

Wow...its been a while since i posted on here, been out of the hobby for about 5 years, My life is finally settling back in, Getting married soon, and My job is stable so i wanted to get back into the hobby.Probably going to go in with a 18-30 gallon AIO tank this time as my largest ever was an 11 gallon. 

I have some old equipment i think i might be able to re use , but just wanted to know if any of it was outdated.

Lighting:

I have an AI Nano With Controller  and a kessil A160 tuna blue? i think , does it make sense to try and sell these to get the newer lighting thats out there? or Do they hold up>?

Water movement:

I have a MJ900, A koralia nano 425 gph  powerhead, and a tunze turbelle that was in my 11 gallon i forgot the model.

Heaters:

I have a 50watt and a 75 watt neo therm and a eheim jaeger 75W (are these enough if i go with a over 20 gal setup?)

Lastly, Any Tank Recommendations? I see there are some new AIO models out there, My budget for the tank can go up to 500 USD

This Forum has never steered me wrong in the past , appreciate any advice you can all give.

THANKS!!

• Like 1

I wouldn't reuse an old heater.  My experience is -- once you remove them from the water and store them -- they never work right again.  I don't know why.  Maybe the rubber seals dry out and the next time you put them in the water they pop?  I dunno, just never had any luck reusing heaters.

I'd use the Kessil and the AI Nano.  Why not?

I'd use the pumps and powerheads you have.  A good vinegar soak and a thorough inpsection/cleaning of shafts and impellors would be a good idea.

I can't give any recommendations on AIO tanks.  No experience there.

• Like 3
Christopher Marks

Welcome back @ZeroEvoX!

I agree with Rcpilot's suggestions. I am still using a 15 year old Ebo Jager heater, but only to occasionally heat water change water, so I'm willing to take the risk. Better to be safe than sorry with heaters though!

Innovative Marine and Waterbox tanks are quite popular at the moment, there are even new ones from Cobalt Aquatics, JBJ, and Lifegard. You should be able to find a number of options in your budget.

• Like 1

Leaning towards a fusion 20. Especially since the stand is 50 bucks on fosters and smith right now. Might pull the trigger on that anyway,

Also should i get a mighty jet? id rather not have any powerheads in the display, i feel like a mighty jet with one spin stream and one standard nozzle would create good flow.

On 1/10/2019 at 7:29 AM, ZeroEvoX said:

Hey All,

Wow...its been a while since i posted on here, been out of the hobby for about 5 years, My life is finally settling back in, Getting married soon, and My job is stable so i wanted to get back into the hobby.Probably going to go in with a 18-30 gallon AIO tank this time as my largest ever was an 11 gallon. 

I have some old equipment i think i might be able to re use , but just wanted to know if any of it was outdated.

Lighting:

I have an AI Nano With Controller  and a kessil A160 tuna blue? i think , does it make sense to try and sell these to get the newer lighting thats out there? or Do they hold up>?

Water movement:

I have a MJ900, A koralia nano 425 gph  powerhead, and a tunze turbelle that was in my 11 gallon i forgot the model.

Heaters:

I have a 50watt and a 75 watt neo therm and a eheim jaeger 75W (are these enough if i go with a over 20 gal setup?)

Lastly, Any Tank Recommendations? I see there are some new AIO models out there, My budget for the tank can go up to 500 USD

This Forum has never steered me wrong in the past , appreciate any advice you can all give.

THANKS!!

Definitely keep the lighting as those are pretty good lights for a smaller tank.  The A160 should do nicely even up to a 30 gallon tank IF you put lower demand corals on the sides.  For a 30 gallon that powerhead is pretty weak if you want corals, you could purchase another one and that would be close to where you want to be with the 2 together.  I would have something in the 1000gph range ideally.  The 75 watt heater might work for an 18 gallon  but I would have something in the 100-150 watt range for a 30 gallon and as mentioned reusing an old heater isn't really recommended as it's cheap to buy a new one and easy to kill your tank if something goes wrong after it's fired up for the first time in years.  If I were doing a 30 gallon AIO, I would go with the IM Nuvo 30 Long.  Great dimensions and use of space and a great option given that between the two lights you could probably make it work.  

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/nuvo-aquarium-fusion-micro-30l-tank.html

• Like 1