Pod Your Reef

Hanging rock from wall (floating rock)

406nano

Hey all. I was curious your thoughts and recommendations for creating a floating rock to the back of an aquarium? I am setting up a 10 gallon nano reef and have a vision for a small piece if rock to hang on the back wall. What are the best methods for getting this done? Magnet? Glue? Also, for those of you have have tried this, have of you had any trouble down the road with this falling off? Any input is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 406nano said:

Hey all. I was curious your thoughts and recommendations for creating a floating rock to the back of an aquarium? I am setting up a 10 gallon nano reef and have a vision for a small piece if rock to hang on the back wall. What are the best methods for getting this done? Magnet? Glue? Also, for those of you have have tried this, have of you had any trouble down the road with this falling off? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I bought my magnet islands from Bulk Reef Supply. There are two on the back wall. 

C79FD141-03E3-4FD6-86A2-596B8AE102E4.thumb.jpeg.89a16aa648e15ac3f9c45c1d784b53f8.jpeg

I bet @NanoRox could help with something smaller.  

• Like 3

I purchased a magnetic frag rock for the back of my 10g from fragtasticreef.com and love it. But that was before NanoRox started making them. I’d go that route now.  Word of caution though, be careful what you put on there in regard to shading corals below it in such a small tank. I have monti caps on mine and shading will become an issue sooner or later.

• Like 3

I glued one awhile back. The rock was pretty flat on the back and was perfect for gluing so I took a file and flattened out any other bumps that would stop it from sitting flush. Super glue and boom had to pry it off a year later when I upgraded the tank. 

• Like 2

Yeah I think I can help. 🙂  I have several designs on www.nanorox.com.   I have two kinds of shelf designs and also what I call picorox which are meant for just one frag.  Creates a floating coral of sorts without the shelf.  I also have a frag island (hotel palythoa) that would be ideal on the sand bed.  Let me know if you have any questions.  

• Like 2
On 1/9/2019 at 1:41 PM, NanoRox said:

Yeah I think I can help. 🙂  I have several designs on www.nanorox.com.   I have two kinds of shelf designs and also what I call picorox which are meant for just one frag.  Creates a floating coral of sorts without the shelf.  I also have a frag island (hotel palythoa) that would be ideal on the sand bed.  Let me know if you have any questions.  

Hey NanoRox. Looks like an awesome product. I like the frag pockets available on your product. What would you recommend for a nuvo 10? It would be cool to have a few corals floating on the back wall but I wouldn't want it to take up the whole tank. Does it match up pretty well to real rock after time?

39 minutes ago, 406nano said:

Hey NanoRox. Looks like an awesome product. I like the frag pockets available on your product. What would you recommend for a nuvo 10? It would be cool to have a few corals floating on the back wall but I wouldn't want it to take up the whole tank. Does it match up pretty well to real rock after time?

I would recommend a PicoRox Pair to start.  Each holds one coral and would look great with the rest of the rock.  Here is a link: PicoRox Pair

If you have room on the sand bed then the Hotel would also look good but depends how much space you have on the sandbed.   Here is a link also: Hotel Palythoa

Let me know if you have any questions.

Happy Reefing!

• Like 3