Cultivated Reef

Order of adding livestock?

antigonus

I'm in the process of cycling, and even though it probably won't be for a while, I have continued to give thought to what i'll be putting in my tank.

It seems like a lot of people suggest adding a clean up crew first, then fish, then corals. Is this the best way to proceed?   

Adding the clean up crew first makes sense, but I've read that some invertebrates can be sensitive to nitrate fluctuations, so is there any risk to adding them right after the cycle? 

I've also heard the suggestion of adding the most peaceful/shy fish first, and I was thinking of getting a fire fish. Is there any disadvantage to adding a single, small, peaceful fish like that? Or would it still be best to wait a few weeks after adding the clean up crew to put any fish in? 

Fish are more likely to stress and have problems in a new tank than corals or CUC will.

Corals will actually make the tank LESS stressful for corals AND help moderate your water quality after the fish go in.

IMO....

1. Add the CUC first since they are the smallest critters...just a few, depending on the size of your tank.
  2. Optionally you could even add a coral at the same time.
  3. Wait at least a week before the addition of your first fish.
  4. Wait at least a few weeks or even a month+ before you add your next fish so you can see how the fish and tank react to the new nutrient load.  (It can take a month before the effects are fully evident.)
  5. Add another round of CUC and (optionally) coral while you're waiting.
  6. Repeat until you've completed your stock list.

This gives YOU plenty of time to observe and react to any negative changes while they are small in scale and prevents major nutrient spikes and undue stress on the fish when they come.   "Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank" compatible too!

What is your fish list BTW?  And do you know what kind of corals yet?

• Like 2

That all makes sense, I will probably add the clean up crew first after the the tank is cycled.

As far as my fish list, I was tentatively thinking a fire fish, Banggai cardinalfish, starry or bi-color blenny, and an ocellaris clownfish, though that could change of course.

I don't know much about corals at all, but I was thinking about some which seem to be considered easier to keep, such as green star polyps, and some varieties of mushrooms.  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, antigonus said:

As far as my fish list, I was tentatively thinking a fire fish, Banggai cardinalfish, starry or bi-color blenny, and an ocellaris clownfish, though that could change of course.

Looks pretty good as long as the tank is big enough.  Be mindful with the blennies...they can be real b******s.  Clowns too.

9 minutes ago, antigonus said:

I don't know much about corals at all, but I was thinking about some which seem to be considered easier to keep, such as green star polyps, and some varieties of mushrooms.  

Well, those are some of the more-alright beginner corals.....a category in need of re-naming IMO.   I would call most/all beginner corals pests or weeds. 

They aren't easier -- they are less susceptible to bad tank-keeping practices.

In 2018 there's no real reason to have bad tank-keeping practices...just read up on what you want to keep and ask questions as needed.

Other corals just lack the pest-like tendencies of beginner corals and in many cases LOOK BETTER TOO.  Though that is subject to personal tastes.  :smilie:

There's nothing wrong with beginner corals as long as you really like THEM and not just their "beginner" status.  You still have to read up on them so you know how to deal with them -- so not easier...same as other corals.