inTank Media Baskets

Red Sea Reef Care Program- Full Experience Documentation

RIP Sebastian

RedSea may be offering different guidance, I'm not sure.....but in terms of seawater, your alk is pretty balanced with your Ca right now....technically 12.4 dKH would be ideal.

Why is your Mg still that low?  I thought that was a hypothetical number earlier?

If that's real, I'd adjust that before dosing any more Ca or alk.

RIP Sebastian
4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

RedSea may be offering different guidance, I'm not sure.....but in terms of seawater, your alk is pretty balanced with your Ca right now....technically 12.4 dKH would be ideal.

Why is your Mg still that low?  I thought that was a hypothetical number earlier?

If that's real, I'd adjust that before dosing any more Ca or alk.

I'm just curious to see what results I get using Res Sea's mixed reef recipe. My mag is that low because I wasn't able to dose it for about a week since BRS sent me the wrong product. My alk and cal are now stable where they need to be, so the only thing I now need to adjust is the mag. 

21 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

That seems like a pretty rapid increase in alk. 

Yes, it is. But I have very few stony corals and all of my softies and nems are doing fine. The alk level is at my target now, so it won't need to be adjusted any more.

• Thanks 1
RIP Sebastian

Day 13:

Cal: 450 (+0)

Alk: 11.5 (-.4

Mag: 1040 (+40)

Nothing too exciting here. Cal and Alk are now stable, mag is increasing steadily.

Added Today:

2 Grams of Red Sea Foundation A
1 Gram of Red Sea Foundation B

15 Grams of Red Sea Foundation C

-Nick

RIP Sebastian

Day 19:

Cal: 450

Alk: 11.5

Mag: 1280 (+40)

Sorry for the hiatus, all. The cal and alk have been stable and the mag has been rising at a constant rate of 40ppm/day. Many of my corals and nems have perked up quite a bit. Most notably, my sun coral, who is usually closed except for feeding time, is now out for several hours every day. Several zoas have started to color up, too. I'm really happy with the direction things are head in. Here is a recent pic (Sorry, I know it's bad):

45815492455_87a7bcba53_k.jpgfts 2 by npvalenta, on Flickr

-Nick

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian
47 minutes ago, CARBON said:

Great Job! I will be following your results closely. I plan to use this system when I setup my Reefer 170.

Thanks!

RIP Sebastian

Day 21:

Mag: 1320

Whoops, I missed yesterday, too. The mag is almost there! I've been continuing dosing my 2/1/15 ratio of Cal/Alk/Mag. I'm definitely noticing improvements in my stony corals. My Christmas tree rock has some polyp extension on it and there seem to be more worms on it now. My Duncan head has fully opened up and I think a new head is starting. My sun coral has improved the most out of all of my corals, though. He was fully extended for several hours today. I've never seen him do that. 

-Nick

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

Day 22:

Mag: 1350

All the parameters are now in check! It's very satisfying to know that. Now I have to start tracking down some dosing pumps and begin dosing the Coral Colors and Reef Energy. But that's a job for the weekend.

-Nick

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

Day 23:

ALL PARAMATERS ARE STABLE! HOORAY!

I'll probably start mucking around with the Colors and Energy on Saturday. Maybe I'll look for some new stony corals, too. 

-Nick

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

Day 25:

The alk, cal, and mag are all holding steady. Today I ordered two Jebao DP-4s, a Skimz DLC additive reservoir, and a tubing holder. Everything should be here by Thursday!

-Nick

• Like 1

Your tank is looking very nice Nick.  I was always curious about the red sea care program so I will be following your thread.  It seems to be working for you!

RIP Sebastian
49 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Your tank is looking very nice Nick.  I was always curious about the red sea care program so I will be following your thread.  It seems to be working for you!

Thanks, Dawn! I am very, very pleased with the results so far.

• Like 1

Totally following, been wanting to switch to the Red Sea Foundation for a while. 
How are you adding the 2 part? Powder straight into the tank? Mixed in RODI? All powders together in 1 solution or 3 solutions?

RIP Sebastian
40 minutes ago, RustyRocket said:

Totally following, been wanting to switch to the Red Sea Foundation for a while. 
How are you adding the 2 part? Powder straight into the tank? Mixed in RODI? All powders together in 1 solution or 3 solutions?

Currently, I scoop some tank water into a cup and add the powder to that, mix it up, and add that to a high-flow area of the tank. I do this once for each powder. If you do every powder at once, there will be a precipitate, which means a non-soluble solid will form and that's bad. Yay chemistry! Once my dosing pumps get here, I'll mix the powders with RODI to form a solution that's identical to the liquid Red Sea Foundation stuff and dose it that way. 

Day 27:

Not too much to report here. Everything is stable. I'm working on cleaning out my stand so I can implement the dosing pumps at some point this weekend. What's really nice is that the Color Program bottles actually have a hookup for airline tubing built in to their caps, which means no drilling into them in order to hook them up to the pumps.

-Nick

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

Day 29:

All of my goodies arrived today! A Skimz DLC3 reservoir, two Jebao DP-4s, and an eight-line tubing holder. I'm so excited! Unfortunately, I won't be able to set it up until Saturday night. 😕 All of the parameters are stable.

-Nick

• Like 1
On 1/23/2019 at 6:33 PM, RIP Sebastian said:

Day 29:

All of my goodies arrived today! A Skimz DLC3 reservoir, two Jebao DP-4s, and an eight-line tubing holder. I'm so excited! Unfortunately, I won't be able to set it up until Saturday night. 😕 All of the parameters are stable.

-Nick

Any issues with the eight-line tub holder and precipitation? I've always wondered if you're dosing in the same spot for everything, wouldn't you just get a white pile at the bottom? I'm guessing you'll have to stagger it so it doses it at different times. 

RIP Sebastian
20 hours ago, Balix said:

That alk is fine if you have nitrates and phos within range or higher. In low nutrient system, it would burn SPS but seems like u got a softie tank with some LPS.

Yeah, my tank is mostly LPS and softies. At some point down the line I might add a monti and/or a birdsnest. I have no intention of adding any super delicate SPS.

8 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Be very careful with the high ALK. You are really reaching a point that will be hard to save stuff if it gets much higher. 

-Dave

Yeah, I know it's high. Normally, I would want to keep it around seven or eight, but I want to see what results I get from keeping it at 11.5.

40 minutes ago, RustyRocket said:

Any issues with the eight-line tub holder and precipitation? I've always wondered if you're dosing in the same spot for everything, wouldn't you just get a white pile at the bottom? I'm guessing you'll have to stagger it so it doses it at different times. 

Yes, the dosing times have to be staggered. Usually about ten minutes is enough time in between additives.

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

Day 31

I have been pretty basically, but then we really got slammed by this polar vortex and I've been stuck inside for three days, so I got all of the dosing stuff set up! I have the trace colors A, B, C, and D on one pump and Cal, Alk, and Mag on the other. That means I have one pump head left. I'll probably add No3Po4X at some point down the line.  Everything is still going well. The one gripe I'm having is that you can only dose by whole mL with the DP-4s. That means my Alk is a little on the low side and my Cal is a little high, but otherwise everything is great. I also finally implemented the Coral Nutrition program yesterday, so I can't attest to that quite yet. 

My Dosing Schedule:

Alk: 3mL is dosed at 6PM daily

Cal: 4 mL at 6:15 daily

Mag: 9 mL at 6:30 daily

Trace Colors A: 1 mL at 5pm daily

B: 1 mL at 5:05 daily

C is dosed at 5:10 daily

D is dosed at 5:15 daily

I dose 2mL of Coral Nutrition A and Coral Nutrition B whenever I get the chance during the day.

-Nick

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

@RIP Sebastian Sorry to bring up an old post but any chance we can have an update on how its gone now you are 7 months in?

I've just started dosing on my new tank and when searching for info found your thread and found it very interesting. 

If you've decided not to follow the red sea system I'd be as interested in why you decided to as much as what you've found having followed it for quite a whilst. 

Thanks

- Oli

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...