Pod Your Reef

my nano-reef tank is gone...

nanoreefer1985

nanoreefer1985

I dropped my food in my nano-tank a few days ago, well, my cat pushed it and the food container fell in the water. I didn't know about it, until it was too late. Usually, I measure my water quality every week, so I couldn't have noticed the chemistry got out of control in such a short time.

Is there a way to automatically test your water everyday, so I could react rapidly?

If there was a solution to fully automate your chemistry testing, would you use it?

• Wow 1

Oh no, I’m sorry that happened. I’m kinda confused though, are you saying your food - like a carton of stir fry - fell in and you didn’t notice? Or a whole jar of fish food? 

I keep an ammonia badge on my tanks so I’ll know if something has caused ammonia to spike, and closely inspect (stare at) my tanks at least once/day. 

8890B15B-9837-4FBD-BFD3-FA4476381F19.thumb.jpeg.532b5d36858fc0e2cc3e78a53e42e185.jpeg

11 minutes ago, nanoreefer1985 said:

I dropped my food in my nano-tank a few days ago, well, my cat pushed it and the food container fell in the water. I didn't know about it, until it was too late. Usually, I measure my water quality every week, so I couldn't have noticed the chemistry got out of control in such a short time.

Is there a way to automatically test your water everyday, so I could react rapidly?

If there was a solution to fully automate your chemistry testing, would you use it?

I assume the fish food container fell in? 

What do you mean by “until it was too late?”

Pictures?

What livestock was in the tank at the time?

You know what they say about an ounce of prevention......

Absolutely no open food containers around the tank, no oily fingers going in, no aerosoles around it either, and regarding the automated testing, you still have to do it the old fashioned way.

Once you gain some experience you’ll be able to spot that somethings wrong with the tank just by looking at it.

• Like 1

Ah got it... I had to travel when my tank was brand new and my hubby totally overfed resulting in major cyano in only a few days. Would you like assistance assessing the damage and moving forward with the tank from here? If so we, may be able to help with that if you would like to give us some additional details about your tank and livestock. Pictures always help, along with other details about what’s happening. 

• Like 1