Cultivated Reef

Upgrade from Kessil A160 Tuna Blue to NEW 360X acclimation guidelines

A Little Blue

A Little Blue

Before upgrading my old Kessils to 360X, I have made some inquiries and thought it might be helpful to share some helpful tips I got directly from Kessil help desk. 

I run my A160s at %100 so, I asked for smoothest transition tips to 360X. 

Here is the answer:

E87EACCB-F7A1-4FF7-ADFE-BF03721F7D38.thumb.png.e2c76dded86373e201fabaa1e77430ea.png

I really want to see these lights in action! I loved my Kessil 160 but didn't like the whole different shades of blue part of it. I really want to run the hybrid on my 45 shallow and I already am but will probably upgrade to the Nanobox hybrid in the future. But two of these new Kessil lights on goose neck mounts would look SUAVE on my tank lol. Can't wait to see you boot one of these up

• Like 1
A Little Blue
1 minute ago, ReefGoat said:

I really want to see these lights in action! I loved my Kessil 160 but didn't like the whole different shades of blue part of it. I really want to run the hybrid on my 45 shallow and I already am but will probably upgrade to the Nanobox hybrid in the future. But two of these new Kessil lights on goose neck mounts would look SUAVE on my tank lol. Can't wait to see you boot one of these up

Soon😉

Nice!! I am moving my biocube corals to my new reefer 250. I have a nano box on my cube about 75 percent.. I have 2 kessil 360s on my reefer and have it set to 75.. I just added a frogspawn moved it from the middle of the cube to the sand bed of the reefer and it seems to be bleaching.. then I have a hammer that was on the top of the cube that I moved to the middle of the reefer and it's looking pale.. kinda worrying me . I dunno if its bc of lack of nutrients in the new tank or the power of the kessil... I have a cane cane and torch in the new tank that i also moved and they look fine so I am stumped... 

A Little Blue
48 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Nice!! I am moving my biocube corals to my new reefer 250. I have a nano box on my cube about 75 percent.. I have 2 kessil 360s on my reefer and have it set to 75.. I just added a frogspawn moved it from the middle of the cube to the sand bed of the reefer and it seems to be bleaching.. then I have a hammer that was on the top of the cube that I moved to the middle of the reefer and it's looking pale.. kinda worrying me . I dunno if its bc of lack of nutrients in the new tank or the power of the kessil... I have a cane cane and torch in the new tank that i also moved and they look fine so I am stumped... 

My coral adaptivity philosophy is simple 

Like my tank or die. It isn’t easy to keep every damn thing happy in mixed reef tank. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Didn't even see they came out with a new light. And it has more than two color channels??? 😁

Looks like a great light, I want to see one irl now!

@A Little Blue, Oh. Wow. I'm actually glad for that explanation out of Kessil. I was under the assumption that the output from the 360x was approx. 50% brighter than a 360WE. I'm actually happy to hear it's only 10% greater output. Now I don't feel so bad for saving $150 per light for purchasing two of the 360 WE Tuna Blues last week on clearance.

A Little Blue
2 hours ago, OPtasia said:

@A Little Blue, Oh. Wow. I'm actually glad for that explanation out of Kessil. I was under the assumption that the output from the 360x was approx. 50% brighter than a 360WE. I'm actually happy to hear it's only 10% greater output. Now I don't feel so bad for saving $150 per light for purchasing two of the 360 WE Tuna Blues last week on clearance.

Depends on your setup but if I was really looking to save some $$$ I would go with used Kessil 700 series that usually goes on for sale between $400-$500. 

Thats actually an option I’m considering. 

Pretty sure a lot of 360WE and 700s gonna hit 2nd hand market after 360X release. 

4 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Depends on your setup but if I was really looking to save some $$$ I would go with used Kessil 700 series that usually goes on for sale between $400-$500. 

Thats actually an option I’m considering. 

Pretty sure a lot of 360WE and 700s gonna hit 2nd hand market after 360X release. 

Yeah, I considered it for this tank build but it's one of my Wife's old tanks that's custom built. It has a partially sealed glass enclosed top with a large two foot section of glass covering dead center. There's a small open section on the left and the right of the center glass that has to accommodate a hang on overflow on one side and the sump return on the other. With limited real estate above the tank, I decided that two powerful Kessil pendants would be the way to go with the T5's in the center. Most of what i've been finding is that the extra center glass will reduce the PAR value by about 10%. 

If I find any real bargains on the WE's in the coming year, I might pick more of them up. 

A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, OPtasia said:

Yeah, I considered it for this tank build but it's one of my Wife's old tanks that's custom built. It has a partially sealed glass enclosed top with a large two foot section of glass covering dead center. There's a small open section on the left and the right of the center glass that has to accommodate a hang on overflow on one side and the sump return on the other. With limited real estate above the tank, I decided that two powerful Kessil pendants would be the way to go with the T5's in the center. Most of what i've been finding is that the extra center glass will reduce the PAR value by about 10%. 

If I find any real bargains on the WE's in the coming year, I might pick more of them up. 

That’s why I’ve said that it might not be an option for everyone. It would work for my IM30L tho. The only issue I have with 360X is the price. But I would start with one 360X and keep my two A160s as well and possibly replace those two later on. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
roll_the_dice

This light is on my short list to get for my 30g.  I have talked to Lai at Kessil a few times and the wifi dongle should be out 1st or 2nd quarter next year.  With the dongle, you won't need the Spectral Controller...everything will go through the Kessil App on your phone.  I have one pre-ordered, but I may wait until the dongle comes out.