ReefCleaners.org

First Reef need lighting help!!!

Dutchymomo

Hey everyone I´m looking to start up a reef aquarium and have done lots of research. I know bigger tanks are easier to keep parameters stable, but I want a standard 29 gallon tank. I am looking to keep softies to start, but will eventually get lps and maybe some easy sps in like a year depending on my success. I have been thinking about an ocean revive t247 led but was not completely sure. I am trying to keep lighting under $200 and I was going to buy the light on sale so it would be even cheaper. Another great option would be a Mars Aqua LED, but it does not have very many features. For other equipment I will use an...

- aqua clear 50 HOB

- Chemi pure blue

- ehiem jager heater 100 wat

- hydor koralia power head 425 gph

- BRS reef saver rock 

- Caribsea live sand

Any help, advice, and or recomendations will be greatly appreciated

Hello and Welcome to nano

T5 lighting is very nice but the one down side is bulb replacement every 8-12mnths. That gets costly.

Many use the Mars aqua and like it. It's a popular budget light.

The dimensions of your tank will also determine the light choice. With some choices in led you would need multiple lights to cover the length.

Here are some lights you can look into with various budgets 

ABI par38 

Current Orbit

Aquamaxx nemolight

Nanobox

Aqua illumination

Kessil

Maybe take a look at the Sb Reef lights 16" timer. Powerful light for 200 bucks and it comes with a 2 year USA warranty where you don't have to deal with some shady Ebay or Amazon seller that may or may not even be located in this country and probably won't even email you back on the Mars Aqua. It's not a big fancy light but at 200 bucks I think it's a steal in my opinion. 

https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/2-sbox-pro-timer.html

Yeah just take your time. There are lots of videos on YouTube of people using them and what they look like lit and what not. Like I said.......I wouldn't expect Radion quality. But at 200 bucks for the power that you get in that light plus the warranty. If that's your price range you really can't beat it. I went with the Reef Breeders because I just liked the way it looked more than the Sbox. I did also add on T5 to mine as well though. As far as the sale goes. I wouldn't hold my breath. I never saw the price fluctuate sale wise on the Sb Reef lights in the several months that I was shopping for lighting on the 45 gallon. But black Friday is coming up and they may run one for the holidays. It'd be worth waiting and seeing being that it's so close. 

If you want a higher end light used AI primes pop up fairly often for <$200.  Keep an eye on the marketplace forum and you never know what you'll find. 

• Like 2

30 long 18 tall 12 wide

all in inches 

i like the sBox but I’m gonna shop around on eBay and forums looking for tank brake downs and stuff to try and get the best stuff for around $200 

could I get away with one AI prime on a 29 gallon 

3 minutes ago, Dutchymomo said:

30 long 18 tall 12 wide

all in inches 

i like the sBox but I’m gonna shop around on eBay and forums looking for tank brake downs and stuff to try and get the best stuff for around $200 

No I dont think so. The tank is too long you would have tons of shadowing on the sides. Maybe if your aquascape allowed you could start with corals in the center and one light and get another down the road.. if you wanted a prime that is..

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Dutchymomo said:

30 long 18 tall 12 wide

all in inches 

I have the AI prime hd over a 35gallon cube (20" each side) and it's doing okay for softies but there is shadowing near the ends. So for a 30" long tank, you'd definitely wouldn't be able to just have one AI. Like Weikel said, maybe you can buy one for now and keep the rocks simple and closer to the center (by center, i'd say leave 5" on each end empty, as they won't receive much light). Then down the road you can get a second light.  

Ok cool I´ll probably get the sBox then it looks good and I think it would work great. 

Thank you everyone for your help and I will eventually make a build thread, but I don´t think I will build till After christmas because of both Black Friday and New Years day sales

36 minutes ago, Weikel said:

No I dont think so. The tank is too long you would have tons of shadowing on the sides. Maybe if your aquascape allowed you could start with corals in the center and one light and get another down the road.. if you wanted a prime that is..

Probably right.  I didn't realize a standard 29 was so long

Just now, specore said:

Probably right.  I didn't realize a standard 29 was so long

Yea I never heard of a 29 tank like that I was thinking a biocube at first lol

Your post sound very very similar to my thought process originally. Budget lighting, softie and Lps with maybe an "easy" sps or two down the road. We'll, that lasted all of two minutes. Lol

I went for an ai prime. It's 200 bucks but a hell of a deal. You get a strong light with great control. Don't skimp on lighting. Just get the prime. In the long run your better off and if things go anything like they did with me you'll have plenty of sps within a couple months. 😁

Just keep higher light corals towards the middle, Lps and softies will be fine in the shader areas. The very edges just might look rather dim to the eye though at 30 inches long. 

The problem with one AI prime is that it's like a spot light in a bigger tank. He'd need 2 AI primes with the width and depth of that tank. Which after mounting options he's closer to 500 bucks. That Sb Reef light may not have all the bells and whistles but it is very powerful don't kid yourself. It's probably just as or likely more powerful than one AI prime. It just doesn't have all the pretty bells and whistles

• Like 1

Yea he'd need 2 to completely light the tank for sps. But I'd bet one would be just fine for most softies and Lps throughout the tank except for perhaps the very edges.

It really depends on what he want to accomplish with the tank long term. Which like I said is hard to know early in the planning stages. 

• Like 1

Yeah I agree. 

My budget for lighting on the 45g shallow was around 500 bucks. I found it super hard to get full length coverage with that budget on a 3ft tank. After like a month of scouring the internet I finally landed on the 24" Reef Breeders after finding out that's what Adam from Battle Corals uses in his grow tanks. I figured if they were good enough for him to use on his systems. Then they're good enough for me LOL. But the catch was that I wanted a T5/LED hybrid. My heart wanted the Nanobox/ATI hybrid but my wallet didn't lol. I ended with a DIY  hybrid setup that I think came out looking pretty suave. You can check it out on my journal thread because i'm not going to post my pictures here in his thread lol. Right now I'm just using some cheap T5 fixutres for a trial run. Eventually they will be the Reef Brite supra slim lines. In the event that I ever have a spare 1200 bucks laying around. I'll probably spring for the Nanobox/ATI. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dutchymomo said:

30 long 18 tall 12 wide

all in inches 

No. The longest is 24", after that you will have significant shadowing on the sides. You would have to aquascape and plan all low light corals outside of the 24" area.

You would need 2 Ai Primes for full coverage on 30" long.

If you want full coverage but not breaking the bank.

Current Orbit Or Aquamaxx nemolight,

or

the light that @ReefGoat suggested

I could get one AI prime to start then eventually get a second and just not get to many high light corals and start off with softies only. Would that work?

Could I make an island aquascape in the middle of the tank and have a smaller island off to the side? I think it would work but the rock work would not have very much depth or originality. 

I have finally settled on an SBreeflight 

Im going to get the 16 inch one and should get good coverage based on my research. 

Cant wait to get my first reef. 

• Like 1

I think you'll be satisfied. With your budget, your options are pretty limited for new lighting on that sized tank. You would have more options with used lighting. But you always run the risk of buying someone else's problems or shoddy broken equipment. That light you're getting is MORE than powerful enough to keep any coral you want down the road.