Cultivated Reef

Filter feeding sea cucmbers?

AlmightyJoshaeus

AlmightyJoshaeus

Hi everyone! How hard is it to keep filter feeding sea cucumbers? I was thinking of having one in my 10 gallon NPS tank...it would be target fed twice a day with reef roids, have live phytoplankton broadcast fed to the tank just before I go to bed, and will have a cryptic refugium to produce still more live food for everyone. Also, I will be doing two 40% WC's a week and have macroalgae in the tank. Thanks 🙂

With the feeding regime that you discribed, you might be able to keep a sea cucumber.  

I feed Sea Apple detritus when I stirred up 25 year old Jaubert Plenum sandbed.

• Like 1

I feel like @yoshii might have had a sea cucumber in her 10 gallon macro tank, can't remember for sure though. You could probably find the thread and do a search. I believe it was tank of the month a few years ago. 

2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I feel like @yoshii might have had a sea cucumber in her 10 gallon macro tank, can't remember for sure though. You could probably find the thread and do a search. I believe it was tank of the month a few years ago. 

I did, that was years ago and probably not the best decision on my part. But it also depends on the species and tank care. The little yellow ones would be fine with good feeding and water quality. The bigger ones might be difficult in a 10g. Unless it's hooked up to a larger system. They just need a lot of food, and variety is better

• Like 1