Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

5 gallon drop-off / abyss reef.

SavaS

What an awesome build! Wish I had the ability to do something like this. I can't even nail 2 boards together without messing up hahaha. Following this for sure!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I transferred a few frags from my main tank to this one, easy corals for the most part, two new RFAs, (the white one hasn't settled down yet) two of what are possibly the smallest birdsnest frags in existence and what is either a Gsp or a gorgonian, I'm not sure but it grows like a weed and is more feather like than my Gsp. Plan for this tank is eventually a background covered in the gsp/gorgonian and a permanent home for my 7 RFAs. Managed to get a few baby bristle worms out of my substrate to add as well. 

20190130_114359.jpg

20190130_114407.jpg

20190130_114343.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The glass shelf is supported by silicone underneath and above as well as sitting on a glass support. The overflow is siliconed to that and the back wall. The substrate on the shelf is epoxied in place, also the main rocks on the overflow are epoxied in place. There is less than a pound of rock actually sitting on it and I imagine the water pressure would push on both sides evenly (what little there is). Basically I feel like I channeled my inner over engineering side and it will be fine. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, SavaS said:

The glass shelf is supported by silicone underneath and above as well as sitting on a glass support. The overflow is siliconed to that and the back wall. The substrate on the shelf is epoxied in place, also the main rocks on the overflow are epoxied in place. There is less than a pound of rock actually sitting on it and I imagine the water pressure would push on both sides evenly (what little there is). Basically I feel like I channeled my inner over engineering side and it will be fine. 

understood. I reasoned that you obviously thought it was enough...but by asking, you answered why you think it's enough.  😄 

That I did. In other news the white RFA has settled down, hopefully it'll open up and stay put. I'll post a picture when that happens, it's one of my favorites. 

• 2 months later...

Well this tank has been running solidly since my last post but I've decided to take it down, combine everything with the contents of my 6.5 gallon into either a 15 or a 20. I'm mostly through the stand and hood build for the new setup, just need to settle on the actual tank. Having a drop off Pico has been awesome but it's time for a change. 

• 5 months later...

Annnnnnnnnnd that didn't happen... The girlfriend intervened and the tank is still wet and running. I stripped it for a few parts but it's basically the same. Reduced the lights since it is only one fish and one snail. Doesn't even need fans for cooling. Not sure why I'm updating this, I don't even have a picture... Must be bored at work.