Top Shelf Aquatics

Legomaniac's first reef

legomaniac

1 hour ago, Newstead said:

Looks like a great start to your tank. Where do you find 5 dollar frags? The closest LFS starts theirs at 19.99,

There is a little store in Jensen Beach that has a $5, $10 and $20 section.  They also have "per polyp" sections starting at $5 and up from there.

The store that I started this tank with gave me bad advice and sold me green star polyp for $20.  I dont go there anymore.

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @legomaniac, I'm glad you found us!

It sounds like you modified the LED lights on your own, did you get any photos of the process? How was it swapping the white LED diodes out?

The led mod was very easy and took me about a half hour start to finish. I didnt get any pictures.

I already had the diodes because I do a lot of electronics projects as a hobby.  I just took the screws out of the fixture to pop the cover off.  Unsoldered the contact's for the leds I was removing.  Then popped them off the board with a very sharp screw driver.  Soldered the blues in, put the fixture back together.  Done.

• Like 1

Definitely pull the plug with the GSP and isolate it on its own island. Then read up on fragging because in about 3 months that’s what ull have do to it, lol. The wrasse is looking a bit emaciated. ‘Pods, black worms, small live brine shrimp might help get it eating. I’m assuming U don’t QT. I’d be interested in the name of the Jensen Beach store also. Road trip!

15 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Definitely pull the plug with the GSP and isolate it on its own island. Then read up on fragging because in about 3 months that’s what ull have do to it, lol. The wrasse is looking a bit emaciated. ‘Pods, black worms, small live brine shrimp might help get it eating. I’m assuming U don’t QT. I’d be interested in the name of the Jensen Beach store also. Road trip!

Good catch on that wrasse, I didn't even see him on the first look. 

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Good eyes. I didn't even see the Wrasse.😲

2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Good catch on that wrasse, I didn't even see him on the first look. 

It's not a wrasse, it's a rainford goby, or also known as a court jester goby.  He eats very well and looks exactly like the picture I found on the liveaquaria website so I think he is doing good.

lg_84102_CourtJester.jpg

• Like 3

I'll be taking out the GSP and trading it in for something better.  It was the first coral I bought and I didn't know what I was buying.  After I brought it home I looked it up online and found out that it grows like a weed. Thats why I never took it off the plug.  I bought it at the store that I dont go to anymore.

The good store that I go to now is called Fantastic Aquariums and they said they will trade out the GSP from me.  I didn't put the name in my other post because I didnt know if there are rules against it. 

I was wondering why everyone called it a wrasse, because it looked like a goby to me. I agree that it's a bit on the thin side though. Has it begun to eat prepared foods? If no, try to get him to eat some mysis as soon as possible. Otherwise, you'll need to boost up your pod population because they snack on pods the whole day. (I keep a Hector's goby, btw, so we're in the same boat on this one). 

19 hours ago, legomaniac said:

The good store that I go to now is called Fantastic Aquariums and they said they will trade out the GSP from me.  I didn't put the name in my other post because I didnt know if there are rules against it. 

Thanks. I think it's fine to put the name of a store you like on here, I would hesitate to name a store that you don't like though.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a couple of new pieces. I traded in the GSP and left with these for $10. The zoa in the first pic is only half of the frag.  It was big enough that I split it in half and pit it in two different places.  Not bad for a $5 coral.

1001182126~2.jpg

1001182124.jpg

• Like 1

I can't grow GSP.  Others swear it took their first born.  Its probably somewhere in the middle.

Congrats on the new tank, looks WAY better than my first!  Have fun!

I like the start to your tank and especially the rainford goby.  I considered one of those for the seahorses garden.  You will have to let me know if it seems very aggressive.

legomaniac

I figured I should post an update since I switched over to a fusion 20 a couple of months ago.

Tank: IM Fusion 20

Light: Aquamaxx Prism 24"

Wave makers: 2x Jebao SOW-4

Filter pump: Cobalt 1200

IM Ghost skimmer

Livestock:

Clownfish

Firefish

Yellow watchman goby

Hectors goby

Fire shrimp

Porcelain crab