ReefCleaners.org

Eek! Orchid dottyback fell into soda!

LazyFish

A fat chance bulls eye. The fish went plop right in my dr pepper when I was moveing some rocks and cleaning the tank. It took me about 10 seconds to get it out. It looked dead when chunked him in my unocupied 8g I tried draging it backwards to pass water over the gills and flush them out. It started breathing and lay on its side about five min then lay upright about another five before it took off writhing all over the tank and then hid....I saw it looking at me once then it disapeared again. I think i am going to keep him in there for a while to make sure hes ok. He is still alive so far.....i cant beleive this happened i cant beleive its still breathing has this ever happened to any one before?

• Haha 2
  • Wow 4
7 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

A fat chance bulls eye. The fish went plop right in my dr pepper when I was moveing some rocks and cleaning the tank. It took me about 10 seconds to get it out. It looked dead when chunked him in my unocupied 8g I tried draging it backwards to pass water over the gills and flush them out. It started breathing and lay on its side about five min then lay upright about another five before it took off writhing all over the tank and then hid....I saw it looking at me once then it disapeared again. I think i am going to keep him in there for a while to make sure hes ok. He is still alive so far.....i cant beleive this happened i cant beleive its still breathing has this ever happened to any one before?

Great story!  😂. I guess he needed a Pepper too!

Hope it’s alright. 🤞🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well, if he had any internal parasites, gill flukes, or body pathogens—they may have all been fizzy lifted away. Perhaps the new ultimate  dip has been found, like some great discoveries—accidentally.

6408C72B-D862-4F94-A176-9B3B68CF2465.jpeg.53996aa55b708cb717f2843010bd9056.jpeg

• Haha 3
41 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

Pretty sure this hasn’t happened to anyone else lol. The big question isn’t did the fish live. The main question is did you finish that Dr. Pepper? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Lol no I dumped it only way to get him out lol it was a very narrow cup too i was like how even could that happen ive had this fish about 7 or 8 years.  I havent seen him yet this morning. I dont want to pull the rocks and stress it out more i hope it comes out on its own. I just lost my 10 or 11 year old darwin clown for no apparent reason i dont want to loose this one too.

• Like 2

Ok hes still alive and looks quite happy in the 8g actualy almost smug I would say.  No clowns to invade his turf in here I guess lol He is the bully not them but they stand up to him and then he slinks off. He keeps peeking out of holes and then running out at me and ducking back in trying to show how bad he is. I was worried his eyes woukd get dammaged from the acid inthe soda but he is obviously not blind looks like he will be fine. Ill move him in a few days.

• Like 6

I was reading something today about fishermen useing coke. The carbonation causes vaso constriction when applied to an injured area it can supposedly save some fish that have been gill hooked by slowing or stoping the bleeding long enough to start clotting. Of course thats running it over an injured area not them taking a bath in it. Also if thats the case vaso constriction in the gills could probly sufficate the fish if it could not get enough blood flow in the gills...perhaps thats why mine wasnt breathing when i pulled it out the soda.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
On 9/12/2018 at 1:42 PM, Lawnman said:

Pretty sure this hasn’t happened to anyone else lol. The big question isn’t did the fish live. The main question is did you finish that Dr. Pepper? 

i personally wouldnt have finished the dr pepper. it would have saltwater in it, and i hate dr pepper anyways

On 9/12/2018 at 6:21 PM, LazyFish said:

Ok hes still alive and looks quite happy in the 8g actualy almost smug I would say.  No clowns to invade his turf in here I guess lol He is the bully not them but they stand up to him and then he slinks off. He keeps peeking out of holes and then running out at me and ducking back in trying to show how bad he is. I was worried his eyes woukd get dammaged from the acid inthe soda but he is obviously not blind looks like he will be fine. Ill move him in a few days.

Thats awesome! My orchid may be mentally challenged thing hangs out with the clownfish.