Cultivated Reef

Nero 5 vs MP10 Cost Point

cital

On 3/6/2019 at 11:59 AM, OverCookedRock said:

If OP is talking about MP10s and Neros I do not think think they are even considering Jebao as an option at all.

Honda Civic vs. BMW kind of thing...

You are correct, the topic went on to talk about water flow, moving sand around, magnets not being strong enough....just thought I'd mention the option I went with and that I've had no issues....OP, please remove my comments if need be.

I found the MP-10 kinda wears out quickly, same with the Tunze turbelle 6040. FWIW I would try the Nero for that reason alone.

I'm kinda sitting on the fence since these other 2 pumps probably didn't last 3 years combined, perhaps my expectations were too high although I still have Hydors from when I started that still run.

One thing about using a bigger pump is that if you run it at a lower speed which should last longer and also be quieter. That's what I thought about the other two pumps too lol so take that with a grain of salt.

Currently with a pair of AC pumps (Fluval Seas) and my return pump I'm sitting at about 65 times turnover. I'm somewhat satisfied with the amount although I could use a little more and would like to have some variability again which is why I'm reluctantly considering the Nero.

12 minutes ago, wetsocks said:

I found the MP-10 kinda wears out quickly, same with the Tunze turbelle 6040. FWIW I would try the Nero for that reason alone.

I'm kinda sitting on the fence since these other 2 pumps probably didn't last 3 years combined, perhaps my expectations were too high although I still have Hydors from when I started that still run.

One thing about using a bigger pump is that if you run it at a lower speed which should last longer and also be quieter. That's what I thought about the other two pumps too lol so take that with a grain of salt.

Currently with a pair of AC pumps (Fluval Seas) and my return pump I'm sitting at about 65 times turnover. I'm somewhat satisfied with the amount although I could use a little more and would like to have some variability again which is why I'm reluctantly considering the Nero.

Strange they didn't last long. I still have my 3 MP10's from 2013/2012. I have replaced two wet sides due to magnets going bad but not bad for 5-6 years.

Now my damn maxspect gyre needs new parts yearly.

I have been eyeballing this: https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/rp-26/

Nero knock-off I think? Reef Breeders has a 18 month warranty so its tempting at the price. 

The shaft on the MP-10 rusted and split, the shaft on the turbelle became loose letting the magnet rub as it's only supported on one end. I'm pretty sure the turbelle was within warranty, but I didn't register it when it was new / waited too long to send it back.

I kinda want a gyre but read that they are a little more maintenance, not that I couldn't live with that.

Too bad there wasn't something around a couple hundred CAD that wasn't sketchy.

• Sad 1

for a small tank the aqamai kps is probably the best option IMO.   Its tiny.   It flows plenty of water. Its programmable. its half the price.  And you can attach it to the back of an AIO tank unlike the MP10 

8 hours ago, Daveg99 said:

for a small tank the aqamai kps is probably the best option IMO.   Its tiny.   It flows plenty of water. Its programmable. its half the price.  And you can attach it to the back of an AIO tank unlike the MP10 

Right, I will look into that one thanks.