inTank Media Baskets

Nero 5 vs MP10 Cost Point

cital

I know the Nero 5 is not out yet, but does anyone have an idea of why the price point is at $300 vs $235 for an MP10???  Seems like a hard sell being $65 more expensive...

For starters it moves about twice the water the mp-10does (1500gph vs 3,000 gph).  Also is easily programmed, something the mp-10 isn't unless you upgrade to the wireless version (+$55) and have a Reeflink or Apex w/ WXM.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, specore said:

For starters it moves about twice the water the mp-10does (1500gph vs 3,000 gph).  Also is easily programmed, something the mp-10 isn't unless you upgrade to the wireless version (+$55) and have a Reeflink or Apex w/ WXM.  

Thanks for the info... that makes more sense now.  So to be able to program an MP10 it would cost about $385 ($285 for the wireless and $100 for reeflink), and the Nero pushes more water (which is not a big deal for small reef owners, but would benefit those with medium to larger size tanks).  I also like that you can direct the flow to some degree as well...

3 minutes ago, cital said:

Thanks for the info... that makes more sense now.  So to be able to program an MP10 it would cost about $385 ($285 for the wireless and $100 for reeflink), and the Nero pushes more water (which is not a big deal for small reef owners, but would benefit those with medium to larger size tanks).

Pretty much.  Without a controller you can set your preferred mode on the Mp-10 and configure the night mode which will run a constant lower speed each night.  To do anything more intricate you would need a controller.  

13 hours ago, cital said:

Thanks for the info... that makes more sense now.  So to be able to program an MP10 it would cost about $385 ($285 for the wireless and $100 for reeflink), and the Nero pushes more water (which is not a big deal for small reef owners, but would benefit those with medium to larger size tanks).  I also like that you can direct the flow to some degree as well...

I have used the MP line for some time. The flow is gentle and broad but the MP10 can be a bit noisy. The new Nero pumps intrigue me due to the size and amount of flow they push. Also make sure to take in account of how large your tank is. If this is going on a IM10, go MP10. If something larger look at the Nero. I will be switching to two Neros for my RedSea. 

-D

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

I have used the MP line for some time. The flow is gentle and broad but the MP10 can be a bit noisy. The new Nero pumps intrigue me due to the size and amount of flow they push. Also make sure to take in account of how large your tank is. If this is going on a IM10, go MP10. If something larger look at the Nero. I will be switching to two Neros for my RedSea. 

-D

Yea, I only have a 20 gal cube (Waterbox), so I think I will stick with the MP10, plus I still like not having the cord on the waterside : )

• 6 months later...

Bump.  Anyone use a Nero 5 on a nano yet?  Debating between Nero 5 versus MP10.  They are basically same price now, so seems like Nero 5 would be better bang for the buck, but not sure how low you could dial it down to suit our nanos (can't find minimum gph rating anywhere).

Thanks!

Just now, A Little Blue said:

You can run it super low flow. But it might be an overkill. Unless you really need a lot of flow and $ isn’t an issue. 

Well I was looking at the MP10 for a 20g since that seemed more suited for my tank, but the Nero 5 is same price right now as the MP10QD on MD and BRS, so curious if people have tried it on smaller tanks.

The one thing I heard about them is the magnet being super weak on some pumps and the pump falling off easily. This should not be an issue on smaller tanks since thinner glass but something to consider if you want to wait till they fix that issue as it could effect resale value. I guess customer support was not stellar either. 

As far as nanos go...I think Dave uses them on his reefer?

• Thanks 1

Nero has some slick stuff to it. Small and compact, local pet stores are using some and the fact you can angel them is REALLY nice IMO.

On a 20g I am not too sure, even an MP10 you wouldn't go over what like 50-60%? 

4 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Nero has some slick stuff to it. Small and compact, local pet stores are using some and the fact you can angel them is REALLY nice IMO.

On a 20g I am not too sure, even an MP10 you wouldn't go over what like 50-60%? 

My 20g runs at 100% on yellow mode. Normally I run two of them with the second one at 75% in opposite mode.

4 minutes ago, jservedio said:

My 20g runs at 100% on yellow mode. Normally I run two of them with the second one at 75% in opposite mode.

Uhhh, you're telling me you run at a 75X turn over rate and you have a pump blowing 1500gph of water in a 20g AND you use to have a second one????

This is the first I have heard of this haha 

2 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Uhhh, you're telling me you run at a 75X turn over rate and you have a pump blowing 1500gph of water in a 20g AND you use to have a second one????

This is the first I have heard of this haha 

Yes - before I moved cross country and my tank was full of bigger acro colonies I had them both cranked up. I also had a 10g with around 3000gph of wide flow I was using for an acro grow-out in my closet a few years ago.

I sold off all of my sticks before I moved cross country, so only have small acros in the tank now, but I have the single MP10 running at 100%. Once they grow out a little more and branches start getting tighter, I'll toss the 2nd one back on and crank it up.

13 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Yes - before I moved cross country and my tank was full of bigger acro colonies I had them both cranked up. I also had a 10g with around 3000gph of wide flow I was using for an acro grow-out in my closet a few years ago.

I sold off all of my sticks before I moved cross country, so only have small acros in the tank now, but I have the single MP10 running at 100%. Once they grow out a little more and branches start getting tighter, I'll toss the 2nd one back on and crank it up.

Are the fish and other corals okay? 😂

1 minute ago, OverCookedRock said:

Are the fish and other corals okay? 😂

Most of my bigger LPS I've had for 6-8 years and I've had my clowns for 8 years and they are all happy and healthy. It also keeps my nems trapped in one small low-flow section of the tank so they can't go on a walkabout and tromp my acros. I've had them all for a little over 4 years now and they are growing and splitting and look good to me.

The only true casualty is my sand bed. Gotta give it a comb over every few weeks to cover up the bald spots.

• Like 1

I have a gyre in my 20g and setting up a Mp10 on the other end. Can't keep a sand bed lol It just piles to one side. I want some sand dwelling critters and think about just letting it pile and call it The Dunes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Thanks for feedback, all.  Paging Dr. @DaveFason .  Does your Nero run quieter than your MP10?  

Tough decision given they are same price right now.  

Oh gosh yes. I switched out all my pumps to Neros. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Goldenreef said:

Thinking of switching out my MP10 for a Nero in my 25g lagoon, will update when I make the jump!

Please do!

4 hours ago, NanoKen said:

I have two Jebao SW-4's in my 29G Biocube that work very well for me.....

If OP is talking about MP10s and Neros I do not think think they are even considering Jebao as an option at all.

Honda Civic vs. BMW kind of thing...

• Like 1