Cultivated Reef

Clam damage and survival ??

Laurenscube

Laurenscube

Hope someone has experienced something like this and the clam has survived ....?

I brought this clam a few months ago. Seemed to be doing well extended nicely, showing beautiful colour etc etc couldn't see anything which could tell me the clam wasn't doing great.

Brought x3 red legged hermit crabs on Saturday.

This morning noticed my clam turned other way and when closer looked half the mantle has been removed and the exhalent siphon has been removed just leaving a gaping hole.

My question really is Has anyone experienced this or similar for example mantle damage and the clam survived ??

Water parameters are in check, phosphates correct etc 

Just would like to see him through it if he will make it 😞

Added a 'before' photo of the clam so you can see how much is missing, the certain 'red legged'hermit is on top of it,  have only ever seen the hermit clean the outer shell previously but now probably will finish him off i guess with the state that he is in

IMG_7728 (1).JPG

IMG_7904.JPG

IMG_7905.JPG

IMG_7912.JPG

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Laurenscube said:

Hope someone has experienced something like this and the clam has survived ....?

I brought this clam a few months ago. Seemed to be doing well extended nicely, showing beautiful colour etc etc couldn't see anything which could tell me the clam wasn't doing great.

Brought x3 red legged hermit crabs on Saturday.

This morning noticed my clam turned other way and when closer looked half the mantle has been removed and the exhalent siphon has been removed just leaving a gaping hole.

My question really is Has anyone experienced this or similar for example mantle damage and the clam survived ??

Water parameters are in check, phosphates correct etc 

Just would like to see him through it if he will make it 😞

Added a 'before' photo of the clam so you can see how much is missing, the certain 'red legged'hermit is on top of it,  have only ever seen the hermit clean the outer shell previously but now probably will finish him off i guess with the state that he is in

IMG_7728 (1).JPG

IMG_7904.JPG

IMG_7905.JPG

IMG_7912.JPG

The hermits were likely taking advantage of an already dying clam. 

It will not recover from that kind of damage.  Sorry. 😞

• Thanks 1
Laurenscube

I assume as its now in this condition it chances arent going to be great as hermits and other life will go after it. 

So i was thinking to maybe try and place it in some sort of a quarantine cube in the tank with the same ammount of light just where it can be left alone so if it can survive it will have the best chance.

I have just put it on a frag rack for now i am just hoping now

• Thanks 1
Laurenscube
38 minutes ago, Five.five-six said:

Sorry, it’s heartbreaking when clams go. 

Get it out before it fouls your tank. 

Even if its still responding to shadows ie when i hoover my hand over it ?

• Wow 1
HarryPotter

Clams are delicate in that if they start to go downhill, it is virtually impossible for them to recover. 

I failed to sufficiently rinse carbon once, and the powder killed all three of mine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1