Coral Vue Hydros

ELOS Tank build

Pod Your Reef

Pod Your Reef

Currently waiting on delivery on an ELOS 70, 56 gallon system. This is going to be a down size from our 90 gallon system but we’re quite excited to receive this tank. 

B376FC99-F27C-4CE5-A45C-3BF7AAC1A60F.thumb.jpeg.4c869429844a73b8d67cd30cd0ffbb37.jpeg

F60D546D-C585-4EE8-B315-1C783121B791.jpeg.0e9e51faa91c86ab87d9a0eeac535da5.jpeg

My plans arent quite rock solid on where I’m going to take this. A biotope maybe? Which type of rock? I’m going to set it up and let is speak to me. The current system is using Tampa bay saltwater, however for a more pest free method I’m more than likely going to start with dry rock. It’s hard to beat the biodiversity that made made rock left in the ocean provides. Here’s a couple images of the rock I used in the last tank when I was inspecting for any non-desirable hutch hikers. 

B90F3902-E352-4814-A79B-94194F40E3B5.thumb.jpeg.35dd0e84829377ec6279a0c06d9d843f.jpeg

39F54746-92AE-41CD-9AC5-EAF920C15EB2.thumb.jpeg.72cd69edaaf4570670975e5debb3129a.jpeg

I will say even after a long inspecting period I was still pulling out gorilla crabs for almost a year afterwards. 

Ill be moving the radions over and maybe using a T5 hybrid system. I’m also debating on replacing the current apex with the new apex. 

1E600BF3-40E2-4606-B659-D2065453BF5B.jpeg

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

The ELOS 70 will make for a very nice system, looking forward to seeing your build!

I like the idea of a biotope of some sort, perhaps based around something would otherwise be too challenging to feed without your awesome supply of phyto and pods 😊

• Like 2
Pod Your Reef
50 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

The ELOS 70 will make for a very nice system, looking forward to seeing your build!

I like the idea of a biotope of some sort, perhaps based around something would otherwise be too challenging to feed without your awesome supply of phyto and pods 😊

This is what we’re thinking. 

• Like 1
Indiana Reefin

So envious!! Elos makes amazing aquariums. I have had a midi and a mini and the quality was superb. Can’t wait to see this one develop into a masterpiece 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Pod Your Reef

The ELOS hasn't arrived yet, once it does I'll be sure to post unboxing photos and the location. It's a race to see what's going to get here first my son or the ELOS. Good things come to those who wait right? 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Pod Your Reef said:

The ELOS hasn't arrived yet, once it does I'll be sure to post unboxing photos and the location. It's a race to see what's going to get here first my son or the ELOS. Good things come to those who wait right? 

Absolutely!

Pod Your Reef

The ELOS 120 XL is an amazing footprint. I remember talking to Francois at MACNA last year about it when it was on display. 

Have you seen their metal stands? Drool worthy. 

415810B3-003C-4C15-B85E-BCED921E87D2.thumb.jpeg.434a45005dc0ced6ee4fd79770fb05e7.jpeg80E6CD7F-EEF2-4C8A-AAF0-CA894578B517.thumb.jpeg.1baa7bcbd1f517812671ed5e1449b29b.jpeg

The ELOS 120 XL as a package is a little more expensive than the Red Sea. When you look at buying the stand, sump, and pump as a package deal. 

24D6ACC0-8484-40EC-9EAA-B1F9E64148A4.thumb.png.fc1998814faf8f1a2c36bf7b35d1f79f.png

They are both beautiful tanks, that’s for sure. However check out the elos if you get a chance. 

• Like 2
Indiana Reefin

Hot damn!  Only twice as much but dat stand tho 😍

I can’t justify spending $6K unfortunately. I would either do a smaller Elos or a Red Sea more than likely 

I had an Elos years ago........it even had the nice Elos MH over it. Yes they are sweet tanks!!!!! now that stand though looks a little thin to me though.....

10 minutes ago, spectra said:

I had an Elos years ago........it even had the nice Elos MH over it. Yes they are sweet tanks!!!!! now that stand though looks a little thin to me though.....

I saw that last year at MACNA I also thought the same about the stand. I dont think the metal is all that makes for the structural integrity,  once all the panels are in place its pretty damn stout. I dont recall all the details of the stand last year but the what they had at MACNA San Diego the panels were magnetic and made of some sort of high density plastic that could be covered in anything you wanted. (at least thats what the sales guy told me) I asked to look at the sump and the dude just pulled the panel off than he pulled the side panel off :lol:   When he told me the price I just moved on :sideeyes:Not worth the price but sexy as hell tanks. That silent corner overflow is what gave me a boner. Pretty sure they are still hand made in Italy....so its like the Ferrari or Lamborghini of fishy tanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
Pod Your Reef

Update: My wife and I had our second child this weekend, we were discharged and it happened to fall on the same day the ELOS was going to be delivered. It didn't get delivered but did arrive at the shipping station. Today they showed up to drop off the tank but the truck didn't have a lift gate. We rescheduled for tomorrow. I've been putting it off but I think I've narrowed down my rock choice to a couple. 

1. Life Rock Shapes Aquarium Rock 1784860409_ScreenShot2018-08-29at8_12_57PM.jpg.064ad30fc0d5698738709212f29bd6e2.jpg

2. CaribSea Life Rock Branch Rock689553922_ScreenShot2018-08-29at8_14_15PM.jpg.08e24b45872dea2e3495e28bae01ec65.jpg

3. Stax Rock Flat Aquascaping Rocks 2066615894_ScreenShot2018-08-29at8_15_01PM.jpg.edb731ac641008974087a1cf5a509c0f.jpg

Any ideas? I think I decided that this tank is going to focus on a pair of mandarins. So I'm thinking about a western pacific theme. 

@Marine Depot any suggestions on rock or sand that would pair nicely? 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
3 hours ago, Pod Your Reef said:

Update: My wife and I had our second child this weekend

Congratulations!!! 🎉🎈Sounds like everything went well!

I have been seeing some neat creations with Stax rock these days, but it takes awhile to look mature. I guess I'm a sucker for the classic 'coralline live rock' look, the Life Rock Shapes remind me of nice Fiji rock.

Marine Depot

@Pod Your Reef  Congratulations on the new arrival, Team MD wishes you the best.  

I really like the look of Two Little Fishies Stax in smaller tanks.  CaribSea shapes and Rocks have a uniform appearance and blend together really well for building cool structures and shapes.  

For substrate, just go with what you think looks the best.  I like more natural looking substrates with different chunks and colors and some prefer the bleach white. I typically go with a 1"-2" depth using a mixture or something similar to CaribSea Arag-Alive Indo-Pacific Black or CaribSea Dry Aragonite Flamingo Reef.  One of my all time favorites is the Two Little Fishies Sand but we do not stock it here at MD, however, it is clean and really nice looking.   

Looking forward to seeing the outcome! 

-Robert @ MD

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Pod Your Reef

Howdy - Well the tank was abandoned. I recently moved and we’re in the planning stage of working with an architect to build a custom house. Instead of setting up the tank and moving it, I decided it would be better to hold off so I sold it and will more than likely pick up another one or a reef savvy when the house is done. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Pod Your Reef said:

Howdy - Well the tank was abandoned. I recently moved and we’re in the planning stage of working with an architect to build a custom house. Instead of setting up the tank and moving it, I decided it would be better to hold off so I sold it and will more than likely pick up another one or a reef savvy when the house is done. 

Is there going to be a tank room in this custom house? Now's the chance!

Pod Your Reef
On 6/27/2020 at 4:15 PM, Break said:

Is there going to be a tank room in this custom house? Now's the chance!

This conversation comes up several times a month considering the architect is a reefer and friend as well. As much as I hate to admit it I'm leaning towards now on the in Wall tank. There has been talk on adding a small closet to an office that would have a drain in the floor, water, sink, and enough space for a sump and a mixing station. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Pod Your Reef said:

This conversation comes up several times a month considering the architect is a reefer and friend as well. As much as I hate to admit it I'm leaning towards now on the in Wall tank. There has been talk on adding a small closet to an office that would have a drain in the floor, water, sink, and enough space for a sump and a mixing station. 

Tank in the wall with a maintenance room hidden behind? That's the stuff dreams are made of.