ReefCleaners.org

Plaskolite egg crate reef safe?

Lypto

Hey everyone, 

I'm setting up a new system and I need to know if anyone can te If the Plaskolite louver (white) egg crate is reef safe,

The MSDS sheet says It has a low reactivity and Is not likely to harm aquatic or terrestrial organisms. I have no idea what kind of plastic it is however and am curious if anyone knows or has used it. I got it at OSH hardware. Thanks!

MainelyReefer

I just ripped off the sticker from mine the other day but I'm 99% sure is plaskolite I got it at lowes, I have not used it in a tank long term but instead fastened some in a small bucket to create a coral transporter, haven't seen issues. Also on lowes website it's listed as being polystyrene.  It also has it listed that it does not meet class a fire requirements which may mean if doesn't have any fireproofing additives.  I vote safe but proceed with caution long term.

• Like 1

I have no idea what the plastic is but many use standard plastic light diffusers in their tanks.

I have used eggcrate in every tank for rock stability.

• 4 weeks later...

It's fine.

I don't use it in the main tank, but I do use some egg crate in the sump and have never had issues, and its one of the more popular brands of plastic egg crate so a lot of people using it in their tanks.