Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hammer Coral Zooxanthellae issue

MSunkin23

Hey Guys,

Looking for some feedback from folks who keep Euphyllia.

I have had this hammer for a couple of months now, splitting from two heads to four. 2 weeks ago I had moved it 3 inches to the left (no PAR difference), further away from a toadstool leather.

Since then, almost daily, I am getting Zooxanthallae being expelled from the mouth (see pictures). It is more common on one head than the other.

I am not seeing any bleaching, and also not seeing much other negative impact than the waste itself.

I am debating moving it, but curious if anyone else has experienced this chronic phenomenon, or if its a sure-sign of stress to be moved to a new location.

Thanks in advance,

**FYI corals extend more in full light, they just retracted because of light change. Picture shows back head releasing-

IMG_3605.JPG

IMG_3606.JPG

@1891Bro - To be honest, no. But the coral wasn't doing this for several months and just started. I dont really spot feed the hammer as it doesn't really pull food into its mouth, unlike my Torch coral.

I would understand a weekly dump, but happens every day about when the lights go off...

M

1 hour ago, MSunkin23 said:

@1891Bro - To be honest, no. But the coral wasn't doing this for several months and just started. I dont really spot feed the hammer as it doesn't really pull food into its mouth, unlike my Torch coral.

I would understand a weekly dump, but happens every day about when the lights go off...

M

Well, if it doesn’t appear to be bleached (losing color and getting translucent/damn near transparent) it’s just crapping. I guess. I really don’t know. 

• Like 2
MainelyReefer

I keep mainly LPS and euphyllia(3 torches, 2 hammers and two frog spawns, it's over 50 heads all together.  I see the brown gunk get expelled from their mouths on occasion and while it seems alarming I've never had issues post a coral doing this.  I too think its poo

• 1 year later...

hey MSunkin23 did you ever figure it out 6 heads on mine and only one doing the same exact thing at at 6pm everyday and right when the lights are about to go on sunset